Shortsword
- 18 (22.5%)
Battleaxe
- 47 (58.8%)
Spear
- 15 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What weapon for the super soldiers?  (Read 4599 times)

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What weapon for the super soldiers?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »

Basically, if you hit every time with a hammer, it works well, but as soon as they start dodging or blocking with shields it becomes weaker to things like battleaxes where a single good hit can cause massive blood loss, vs the minor to moderate damage and crippling you get from a hammer strike.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »

Basically, if you hit every time with a hammer, it works well, but as soon as they start dodging or blocking with shields it becomes weaker to things like battleaxes where a single good hit can cause massive blood loss, vs the minor to moderate damage and crippling you get from a hammer strike.
Axes tend to chop off limbs and cause major blood loss, while warhammers tend to get bashed skulls. The warhammers are good if they can't get many hits in I guess, but the axes are for sure because of bleeding.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2011, 01:26:19 pm »

Axes are the best killers. One of my "elected" artifact axes has about 100 kills.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »

When I arena tested it with teams of 10v10 grandmaster-all-skills full steel dwarves (with shields), the silver hammers won 5/8 of the time. Shields help addy axes some but don't make axes the better option (when they are all steel armored grandmasters)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »

When I arena tested it with teams of 10v10 grandmaster-all-skills full steel dwarves (with shields), the silver hammers won 5/8 of the time. Shields help addy axes some but don't make axes the better option (when they are all steel armored grandmasters)
But these are going to be legendary full-adamantine dwarves. lol.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:20 pm »

This test is measuring the killing abilities of their weapons against eachother, so both sets of teams need to have the same armor type so the only difference between them is weapon.

!!SCIRENCE!! UPDATE: out of 8 matches of 10 v 10 full-grandmaster, full-bronze-armored (including shield) dwarfs, the silver hammers have won against the addy axes in  5 out of 8 matches. (strangely similar to their win rate with full steel)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »

Because hammers basically ignore armor. Try without armor.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:09 pm »

This test is measuring the killing abilities of their weapons against eachother, so both sets of teams need to have the same armor type so the only difference between them is weapon.

!!SCIRENCE!! UPDATE: out of 8 matches of 10 v 10 full-grandmaster, full-bronze-armored (including shield) dwarfs, the silver hammers have won against the addy axes in  5 out of 8 matches. (strangely similar to their win rate with full steel)
Huh. Whatever, I never can find silver anyway.  :'(

Once I found some tetrihedrite, but I smelted for copper as I didn't know of its occasional silver.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

1. Bronze armor confirmed. Now try with copper, iron, steel, and addy armor.

2. Necro, try buying it from caravans?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »

1. Bronze armor confirmed. Now try with copper, iron, steel, and addy armor.

2. Necro, try buying it from caravans?
Meh, I'm still going with the addy. I need piercing/edged weapons, so if one of my soldiers run into a flesh ball or something, they can kill it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 02:32:56 pm »

I have 2 prototypal "super soldiers" in mind

-War miner: Masterwork steel pick, full steel armor and steel shield. Also with cloak and hood. Cancel mining job when you send them on the front line.

-Assault marksdwarf: Masterwork copper crossbow (or high quality silver crossbow), full steel armor and steel shield. Also with cloak and hood.

Steel armor can be replaced by adamantine, but not for the shield (it doesn't do good shield bashes). And of course you can give artifacts to the better ones.

War miners need these skills at Legendary principally: Fighter, Miner, Shield User. and other more defensive skills will be trained less quickly. Also Misc. Object User is important for shield bashes.

Assault marksdwarves need these skills the most: Fighter, Archer, Marksdwarf, Hammerdwarf, Shield User. Other defensive skills are obviously necessary but not as much.

While war miners are made to be miners and your main attack force, assault marksdwarves are made to be BOTH melee and ranged combatants, as well as your hunters and rangers (generally) in the civilian workforce. And crossbows are pretty good as melee weapons if the material is heavy and if the dwarf is skilled.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 02:37:21 pm »

!!SCIENCE!! update:
A surprising twist! with squads 10 grandmaster/full iron dwarfs, the silver hammers did BETTER than when both sides were using full steel armor. The silver hammers won 7/8 matches (as opposed to 5/8 won with both full bronze and full steel). This is starting to sound like sports commentary.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »

3 materials to go. And remember: In small squads, just ONE lucky hit can turn the tide of a battle. Hammers do well with lucky hits (crippling, bashing skulls, etc.) So, yeah.

Plus, axes do better in long fights, where the foes have time to bleed out. Small squads= short fights.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:43:06 pm by Sarda »
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »

!!SCIENCE!! update:
A surprising twist! with squads 10 grandmaster/full iron dwarfs, the silver hammers did BETTER than when both sides were using full steel armor. The silver hammers won 7/8 matches (as opposed to 5/8 won with both full bronze and full steel). This is starting to sound like sports commentary.
lol, it is.

You need more magma involved somehow, to make it dwarfier.   8)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »

You need more magma involved somehow, to make it dwarfier.   8)
What do you think happens to the 'contestants' after the win/lose numbers are counted? >:D

Further pursuing the 'iron armor' stangeness, I have found that with squads of 10 grandmaster-all-skills dwarfs (both sides using addy battle axes), the squads with full steel LOST to the squads in full iron in 5/8 matches. This might be because of shield bashing, but is still bizarre. Next for a test of addy axe+steel sheild+steel other armor vs axe+steel sheild+iron other armor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5