Shortsword
- 18 (22.5%)
Battleaxe
- 47 (58.8%)
Spear
- 15 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What weapon for the super soldiers?  (Read 4620 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: What weapon for the super soldiers?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 11:28:30 am »

Adamantine axes work great against any armor short of adamantine (including steel armor), and the severs are lovely for killing enemies quickly.  Given that enemies currently don't have access to adamantine armor, adamantine axes are probably the way to go. 
Not just addy armor. Silver warhammers beat addy axes when both teams are wearing full steel. I haven't tried with other armors.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

Yeah, spears for FBs due to axes/swords making them bleed syndrome everywhere. Axes for everything else.

@Zig: Of course they are, hammers are better against armor. Try them against unarmored foes.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:13 am »

Yeah, spears for FBs due to axes/swords making them bleed syndrome everywhere. Axes for everything else.

@Zig: Of course they are, hammers are better against armor. Try them against unarmored foes.
Yes, with unarmored axes do better. What needs some !!SCIENCE!! is  axes vs hammers with full sets of copper/iron/bronze armor, to see how good an armor can be and still fall in the 'axes win' range.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 11:37:03 am »

To the arena!
Dwarf Fortress:

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:50 am »

the better the armour, the more valuble a hammer becomes. since blunt damage goes past armour.

historicaly, very few men could weild warhammers, the actual big ones you usualy think about. And they could bring down a full plate mail knight because theyde hit them so hard in the chest the backlash of forces would snap their surrounding heart muscle and theyde die of horrendous internal bleeding.

Smaller warhammer that were more widely used wernt as effective as that obviously, but still a potent weapon against armour that is mainly to prevent against disembolwment/sharp pointy weapons.

i would imagine against a propperly armoured opponent an axe wouldnt be as fast to kill as a hammer. if the axe, hammer and armour were equal material and quality.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 11:58:29 am »

Funmetal picks are absolutely DEADLY, they can sever anything on most hits... hell, an IRON pick will sever anything, addie is pure overkill! That's why I like it!

EDIT: in answer to the actual thread question, I'd go for 6 swords, 2 axes and 2 spears; who cares about enemy armor when they get chopped off anyway?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:00:07 pm by Golcondio »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »

I'd say Picks, and train them to legend miners. So useful.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:24 pm »

the better the armour, the more valuble a hammer becomes. since blunt damage goes past armour.

historicaly, very few men could weild warhammers, the actual big ones you usualy think about. And they could bring down a full plate mail knight because theyde hit them so hard in the chest the backlash of forces would snap their surrounding heart muscle and theyde die of horrendous internal bleeding.

Smaller warhammer that were more widely used wernt as effective as that obviously, but still a potent weapon against armour that is mainly to prevent against disembolwment/sharp pointy weapons.

i would imagine against a propperly armoured opponent an axe wouldnt be as fast to kill as a hammer. if the axe, hammer and armour were equal material and quality.
Correct! Good job on information.

But I almost never find silver, but I always am good with adamantine. (How does that happen? :-\)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »

If you are using a training room then why not train em in all 3? wont take too long, personally I use axes for the small stuff and spears for the big.  90% of stuff coming at you will be small so axes are probably the smarter option, if the game is modded you may want to start thinking hammers, in vanilla candy axes will kill pretty much anything though
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 12:53:20 pm »

Candy is guaranteed. You get a spire of it every time. Silver isn't guaranteed.
Dwarf Fortress:

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »

Exactly, that's why silver isn't on here. I'm silver challenged  :(

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »

Exactly, that's why silver isn't on here. I'm silver challenged  :(
I find this to be bizarre. I have found silver (between native, galena, and tetra) to be possibly the most common metal (non-blue) metal. Maybe i am just not embarking in the right biomes...

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 12:57:58 pm »

I'm fairly surprised you don't often get native silver, horn silver, tetrahedite, or galena.
Dwarf Fortress:

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 01:02:18 pm »

I just did a quick test on adamantine battle axes vs silver warhammers with both groups in full steel armor.  With both groups untrained, the axes won 83-17, but with both groups Grand Master Fighter/Weapon User the warhammers won 72-28. 

Hmm . . .  further testing shows that with Grand Master Fighter/Weapon User and unarmored fighters, silver warhammers beat adamantine axes 73-27.  Steel warhammers win 72-28.  This is odd, I remember axes winning.

Ahhh.  Giving them shields and Grand Master Fighter/Weapon User/Shield User leaves the adamantine axes winning 97-3.  It seems that the extra time you get from shields helps the battleaxe users stall long enough for their enemies to bleed out.  Grand Master Dodger has a similar effect.  Given that Danger Rooms train both dodging and shield use very effectively, it seems that axes are the way to go for these super soldiers.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 01:03:44 pm »

So, hammers are good against all armor except shields, it seems.
Dwarf Fortress:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5