Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants every single season (except winter)?  (Read 1112 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants every single season (except winter)?
« on: April 02, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

I haven't had a long (more than 2 years) fort going in quite a while as I was always too busy to run a fort for long. Have the recent versions been rather prolific in migrants? Usually the pattern was "15~25 in spring, probably nothing in summer and autumn" after the first year's waves. I've gotten sizeable (bigger in spring) waves every single migrant season now. Granted, I'm running an industrial fort so I can easily accommodate the extra population but I do wonder whether this is the norm now.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants every single season (except winter)?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »

It's always been the norm for me... I occasionally get no migrants if I've neglected wealth (which means no Gobbos too, so...)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Razonatair

• Bay Watcher
  • Move along citizen, nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »

Pretty much. Migrants come almost every season now, depending on how you increase your wealth, exports, etc. Honestly I've found the latest system to be significantly more annoying than the old, not to mention a little ridiculous. Receiving near-legendary (and in one case I had, a mason arrived just before legendary, made a single item, and immediately became legendary) and very highly skilled dwarves means I no longer embark with anything but no skill peasants because migrants will bring all the skills I need, without any of the training required to reach that level. There is hardly any point to training dwarves anymore unless you've reached the pop cap or just want a lot of a certain kind of dwarf.

For example, I used to embark with a dwarf proficient in both armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, but he was quickly overshadowed within 1 to 3 migrants waves by a highly talented migrant. Now, why spend points on skills that arrive free later? Embark full on peasants (assuming a forgiving biome), and spend points totally on drinks, items, and animals.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »

Pretty much. Migrants come almost every season now, depending on how you increase your wealth, exports, etc. Honestly I've found the latest system to be significantly more annoying than the old, not to mention a little ridiculous. Receiving near-legendary (and in one case I had, a mason arrived just before legendary, made a single item, and immediately became legendary) and very highly skilled dwarves means I no longer embark with anything but no skill peasants because migrants will bring all the skills I need, without any of the training required to reach that level. There is hardly any point to training dwarves anymore unless you've reached the pop cap or just want a lot of a certain kind of dwarf.

For example, I used to embark with a dwarf proficient in both armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, but he was quickly overshadowed within 1 to 3 migrants waves by a highly talented migrant. Now, why spend points on skills that arrive free later? Embark full on peasants (assuming a forgiving biome), and spend points totally on drinks, items, and animals.

Or play like a real man dwarf and embark with nothing. I agree that the skills migrants turn up with can be a bit crazy, you end up making ridiculous amounts of wealth through little to no effort, I'd like it to be toned down, perhaps so they can't arrive with a skill higher than five like your starting seven. I'm hoping this all gets sorted as part of the caravan arc so that you can't buy out entire traders within the first two years just because a grand master stone-crafter or whatever turned up at your fort.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:53:06 pm by Darkweave »

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:38 pm »

The starting 7 are definitely not as superior as they used to be - used to be that your starting 7 became god like in every attribute - zipped through the fort and did the most important tasks in the fort . Nowadays when I see one of the first dwarves die I am not as attached.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:52:55 am »

Thing is, back in .31.12 they still moderated themselves in summer and autumn from 2nd year onwards even though I'm essentially doing the same kind of wealth building as I am with my current .31.25 fort. I just find it odd that they've been coming every possible wave this time but I guess the dice rolls just turned out that way.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.