Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you ever feel bad about a random dwarf's death?  (Read 1185 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you ever feel bad about a random dwarf's death?
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:16:41 pm »

Ive had a regular 2-3 casualties a year from random, unpreventable things that are just bound to happen. That didn't make me feel bad , but during my mini-megaproject of building a pyramid on top of my entrance I made a mistake and needed some ramps deconstructed, unfortunately one particular section turned out to be unsupported if the ramps were removed in the wrong order, I didn't notice so a cave in occurred during the deconstruction. A suturer and 2 children (brother and sister) both flew off the pyramid and splattered on the ground, the girl died instantly, the boy had all his limbs broken and the suturer was only mildly hurt. The brother ended up being treated in the hospital for a year before finally dying, I found out that the doctor treating him was also his dad  :(

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever feel bad about a random dwarf's death?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:21:44 pm »

Nope. Most of the time it's because of their own stupidity. I used to savescum whenever someone important died, but I realized that it was much more Fun to try to work through the problems.

I recently had a legendary Mason fall into a 20-z drainage channel. In the long run, nothing of value was lost, as I got another one a year later.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »

Well, sometimes. Depends on how they die. If Urist McDick decides to deconstruct a floor between Urist McOblivious and a huge fall, i'll give off a mighty facepalm. I don't senselessly kill dorfs though, so it irks me a bit when Urist McOblivious II decides to waddle around a pit with water flowing in (triggered by me). In general though, i'm the (rare?) kind of guy who always plays as a good guy, if at all possible. That isn't to say i don't enjoy flooding the world for no apparent reason, of course. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »

Only once, and it wasn't really a 'random' dwarf. It was my third fort, I think, called Relicveils. There was a child who came in the migrant waves, Rimtar Idashakrul, who I became attached to for some reason. When she turned twelve I made her a miner. At one point I designated part of the brook to be channeled out, and she was the one to do so. She became stuck on the wrong side, and ended up starving because she didn't dare get wet. I felt reaaally dumb for not noticing her suffering... >.>

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »

Nah, they usually deserve it be being stupid. Or being nobles. The difference is nobles have the gall to demand shit, stupid dorfs just die.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:41:29 pm »

No, because I plan carefully enough that my only random deaths are High Master Cheesemakers cum post-attack garbage collectors who get caught in the next bi-seasonal 120+ enemy ambush.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »

You cannot achieve without sacrifice, us Dwarves know that better than anyone.

Hell, I normally throw immigrants into volcanoes and crap just to explore. Then I auto discover a vein of adamantine every 20 minutes for no actual reason.

How does my range of vision increase when the geonaut is already dead? It baffles me as well.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

The dead see with the eyes of Armok.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:50:11 pm »

Not usually. Its usually due to dwarf stupidity that they die. That or my rather unscrupulous bridge/pit traps that require dwarves to man levers and pull continuously, killing at random anything that meanders over them. Hopefully merchants, but beggars can't be choosers.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

If it's as a result of my own carelessness, yes. Almost uniquely among DF players, I actually feel a strong duty of care towards the ornery little buggers and try to keep as many of them as possible alive and reasonably happy.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Maxwell5123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »

its 50/50 with me I feel sad when something I could have prevented killed them...unless the dipshits build themselves behind a wall! Here's what I mean.

One time I was making the pond drain out for a farm area the remove the floor so the rain will fall on the floor keeping it nice a muddy...A can in happened and I lost one dwarf who I cared for dearly because he was the most productive dwarf and was the only who waited untill all the jobs I gave him were done before he went on break....I gave him a nice Tomb T_T

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

All the time. I am one of those players who really cares for their dwarves (or characters in other games) and hate it when they die.
I was distraught when my miner (who I had from the start) died after breaking his limbs twice from two different falls. Being as awesome as he was, it was an infection that came 2 years after that killed him. Despite numerous soapy baths, the soap being made just because he needed it I might add.

If a military fella dies, I feel a little less terrible, but that's because it's practically in their job description.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 04:06:12 pm »

If they did something useful, like weaponsmithing, then yes. If I liked them or their name, then yes. If they were in the army and were actually competent, then yes.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »

Nah, they're a renewable resource.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:37 pm »

I get more upset when their pets die, for some reason. I still remember the death of one of my forts' giant war jaguar as one of the most dramatic moments in DF. Possibly because he was the only military unit that was any good in that fort.
Pages: [1] 2