Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pastures are Gladiator Pits :(  (Read 874 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastures are Gladiator Pits :(
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

After playing a few games on the new .25, I've never been able to get pastures to work correctly.  I tend to do a series of 5x5 to 10x10 walled off areas on grassland, and set them up as a pasture for the smaller animal types.  Unfortunately, they just maul the hell out of each other and everything keeps dying :(  I make sure only 1 animal type is kept to each pasture, and they have adequate space so as to not starve.  Any ideas on what I can do? 

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastures are Gladiator Pits :(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:30 pm »

Don't let them near each other. it doesn't matter how big the pasture is, if they get near each other, they're liable to enrage and maul each other. Chaining them would be the best option, but I doubt that makes them happy. If you only keep a few in a big, big pasture, they're less likely to bump into each other.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Razonatair

• Bay Watcher
  • Move along citizen, nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »

Your best bet for keeping an animal alive depends on the animal. There are size and eating reasons for some situations just plain being bad. Designating a massive pasture, which would resolve any food problems, leads to issues when you start throwing a ton of animals in there to eat that massive allotment of grass. However, designating individual pastures designed to only be big enough for one animal to survive on the grass, and at least one tile from any other pasture, ensures no conflict will occur.

You don't even need a chain, which is actually less efficient than designating small pastures, because pastured animals never leave the zone anyway (at least in my experience, I've yet to have a pastured animal be attacked to see whether or not it runs out) and zones require no materials.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »

Your best bet for keeping an animal alive depends on the animal. There are size and eating reasons for some situations just plain being bad. Designating a massive pasture, which would resolve any food problems, leads to issues when you start throwing a ton of animals in there to eat that massive allotment of grass. However, designating individual pastures designed to only be big enough for one animal to survive on the grass, and at least one tile from any other pasture, ensures no conflict will occur.

You don't even need a chain, which is actually less efficient than designating small pastures, because pastured animals never leave the zone anyway (at least in my experience, I've yet to have a pastured animal be attacked to see whether or not it runs out) and zones require no materials.

They do. They will flood into your fort when attacked. Mine ran to my dining room, which was the only area i had set up as a meeting hall at the time.

Razonatair

• Bay Watcher
  • Move along citizen, nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

Well that behavior is good and bad in some situations, I suppose.

Maxwell5123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »

depends if the animal is a pig or a pissed off lion or elephant

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:16:33 pm »

I usually just drop them off my bridge as they're running towards my fortress  and then let the butcher pick up their crippled bodies .
I basically have a safe walled off pasture zone behind my fortress and a bunch of cannon fodder in front of my entrance, works great against thieves and ambushes.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »

The easiest way to deal with this is to have a smaller pasture for each individual animal.  No overlapping.