Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade Depot problems  (Read 403 times)

TheHerminator11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade Depot problems
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

I have just started playing the game so I don't know a lot yet. Recently a caravan came to trade with me, I already had a trade depot built so they went straight there. However, the dwarf that I designated as my broker refused to go trade with them. He had nothing else to do, he was just idling in the meeting hall. How do I get him to trade?

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Depot problems
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:54:51 pm »

Make sure that "trader requested at depot" is selected in your Q-menu. Otherwise, it may just be another case of dwarven stupidity.

TheHerminator11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »

Alright, thanks. I'll check that out :D

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

Also, remember to have alot of crafts [or whatever else you want to trade] made so you can actually trade with them. You also have to move the items to the depot, using g to designate which ones you want to send there. Like if you have a million stone crafts to trade, you must designate them all by hand.

Unless you have bins. Bins are awesome. I love bins.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:05 pm »

Seize their goods.

End of story.  :D

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »

Brokers can be lazy.  If he refuses to budge, flip the setting to "anyone can trade".  Which will at least let you buy/sell while your broker attends a party at the well.

Fun things to sell:

- One or two dwarves making nothing except Stonecrafts.  Make eight different stockpiles near them, one for each type of stonecraft (scepter, bracelet, earring, goblet, etc.) and set those stockpiles to use their max number of bins (12 bins per stockpile is plenty).  The reason you split stockpiles by good type is so that if your baron/noble issues a mandate prohibiting the export of bracelets, you can still pull the other bins to the trade depot.  I usually store these on the floor above/below the depot.

- Large serrated silver discs and/or glass variants, I usually put a 3x3 or 3x5 stockpile that only accepts these near the trade depot.

- Prepared food (roasts), stored in a prepared food stockpile near the depot that doesn't take barrels.

- Mechanisms, I only sell off the low-quality ones (standard, well-crafted, finely-crafted).  Again, with a stockpile of 5x10 or so near the depot.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:46:18 pm »

Yeah, buzzsaw discs are ridiculously expensive for some reason. One *large, serrated silver disc* can buy you quite a lot from the caravans.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,