Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave Spiders Attack each other?  (Read 685 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Spiders Attack each other?
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »

Just curious, but if I put two giant cave spiders in a pit, will they fight each other, or just fight anything that is thrown in the pit with them?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Spiders Attack each other?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »

I know animals will fight if they're near each other, but not so sure about vermin.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »

I do not think two GCS will fight, unless they are really too crammed in a 1x1 or 1x2 space. And they will certainly not fight if tamed.

Yes, spiders are ferociously independent IRL and gladly eat each other, but this is DF.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:49:44 pm »

Animals will fight in a gigantic open pasture if they get too close to each other. It's proximity, not how much room they have, I believe.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:46:20 pm »

I do not think two GCS will fight, unless they are really too crammed in a 1x1 or 1x2 space. And they will certainly not fight if tamed.

Yes, spiders are ferociously independent IRL and gladly eat each other, but this is DF.

Funny thing is, some tarantula species can live communally. Poecilithera (Pokies), Avicularia (Pink toed tarantulas), and OBTs (Orange Bitey Things/Orange Baboon Tarantulas) have and can be kept communally, though I might be wrong on the OBTs. Holothele incei is generally kept communally as well, and said colonies generally don't eat each other. Hysterocrates gigas is another communal tarantula. The other three do run the risk of cannibalism, however. There is also an aussie spider speices that is communal. It was used for the film Arachnophobia for this purpose, but for the life of me I cannot remember it's name. Personally, I always imagine GCS as a tarantula species, or at least a myglamorph ("fangs" go up and down, instead of opening to the sides like in "true" spiders).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:48:26 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:00 pm »

Byakugan01, thanks for the Real Life facts. Back to DF...

So, if I put 2 giant cave spiders in an area ... they could possible get close enough and start fighting.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:50 pm »

If you really want them to fight, do you have both an untamed GCS AND a tame one? I doubt you would get prolonged combat from two tame ones annoying annoying each other. That being said, if you modify the world's RAWS to make them [TRAINABLE], you could use them to fight invaders...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:21:47 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:30:44 pm »

Sheesh, start a silk farm
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration