Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with goose population  (Read 847 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help with goose population
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:49:41 am »

ive modified these goose in my game to lay adamantine wafers ( removed the lay eggs tag and replaced with the unusual egg one)

they were breeding fine during the first year of my fortress but after i started building nest boxes (in which they started laying the wafers), went back into the save raws to change the unusual egg type to something else, and moved them into a pen they havnt produced any more offspring for like 2 years although they are producing the unusual eggs just fine. 

I  was wondering if anything that i did above is preventing them from breeding or if i should just wait longer. i even removed the nest boxes to see if them sitting on it was preventing them from breeding
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:28:42 am by meowmix »

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help with goose
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »

im lookin on the wiki and i saw this

Also note that once a certain number of animals of a particular type are present in your fortress (currently observed to be around 50), that type of animal will cease to become pregnant (existing pregnancies will produce young, but they will not become pregnant again); once enough adults are slaughtered, more will begin to be born.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Breeding#Breeding

could this be the problem since i think ive got about 90 of these goose things

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:44:50 pm »

Yes.  If the population of one type of animal is greater than a limit (believed to be 50) no more normal reproduction will take place.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:25:14 am »

is there any way to increase this limit?

and does the cap have anything to do with [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30] tag?