Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so much moods......  (Read 534 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
so much moods......
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:38 am »

im getting a bunch of pessesed and fey moods, in all my other fortress i was only getting a few but now my number of legendary is higher than im used to, any idea what helps with moods? for now what happened is: goblins killing dwarves, dwarves killing goblins, troglodytes, ghosts and more gobins. im only in starting my third year and i have 8 artifact, out of 50 dwarves, 8 got a mood so far

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: so much moods......
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:39:55 am »

The more wealth you create, and the more you explore, the more artifacts you will get. I'm not sure if exposing a cavern counts as explored tiles, but if they do, I think they contribute a lot.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:14 am »

Also, I don't think combat contributes to moods, although it may result in one of your militiabeards naming his/her weapon and having it listed on the artifact screen.  This doesn't actually improve the weapon, but it will keep track of who uses it to kill what.

Wealth and exposed tiles, and having a population above 20, seem to be the primary factors.  I think I remember the Flarechannel guy mentioning that he had a mood-drought for awhile, even while his created wealth grew, until he pierced into a cavern layer he had ignored (greatly increasing exposed tiles).  Or something.  I can't find it in the post, so I may be 100% making that up.

The wiki, and everywhere else, is light on information about inducing moods.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:05:23 am »

I wonder, do mid-air tiles count?

If so, a fort with many Zs of surface sky would produce vastly more than the average map, seems like.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

I wonder, do mid-air tiles count?

If so, a fort with many Zs of surface sky would produce vastly more than the average map, seems like.

I believe surface sky is considered "explored" on embark, so it's only undug layers and cavern layers that count. I've tried aboveground forts with minimal digging (buildings mostly made of wood) and they have far fewer artifacts than my other forts.

I am not sure if deeper layers (closer to the magma) count more for moods than layers closer to the surface, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:39:29 am »

I think I remember the Flarechannel guy mentioning that he had a mood-drought for awhile, even while his created wealth grew, until he pierced into a cavern layer he had ignored (greatly increasing exposed tiles).  Or something.  I can't find it in the post, so I may be 100% making that up.

No, it was when he started carving out a cavern. Flarechannel was in 40d.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!