Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump stack placement...  (Read 956 times)

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pump stack placement...
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:01:42 am »

I hear people talking about their 40 z pump stacks and how they get magma to the top of the map using them, but whenever I try to build one, I can't find any good place to dig the shaft for the pumps because there is always either 4 z high caverns or an underwater lake so that I cant find any 5x5x30 area that has nothing on the way to dig the shaft, or do you just build the pump stack through the caverns using constructions?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pump stack placement...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:18:47 am »

Three options: 1) Use the DFReveal tool to find a path through.

2) Remember that a pumpstack does not have to be straight up and down. In fact it doesn't have to be over the top of itself at all. Dig your stack as far down as you can, then use short offsets to move around the caverns. All this costs is power, and with a Dwarven Water Reactor, there's no distance you can't power.

3)Don't use a Pump stack. Use a Magma Piston.

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:16 am »

3)Don't use a Pump stack. Use a Magma Piston.

What's that? My guess is that you dig two holes down to the magma, then start dumping water down one of the holes to increase the pressure and push the magma out of the other hole? However, the magma would probably just flow off the map, so my guess is probably wrong.

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

Also I've got a problem: how the heck does one get the power for the pump stack? Any possible windmill farm designs? Im really bad at using machinery.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:53:27 am »

The Dwarven Water Reactor is a fairly simple way of generating power. Connect a few to your pump stack with axels and gear assemblies.