Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baby drop  (Read 2104 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby drop
« on: April 02, 2011, 03:26:22 am »

Is there any way to reliably get a mother to drop her baby?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby drop
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:33:23 am »

Only if she or the baby is dead... and with the way DF works, the baby being dead is not a guaranteed drop.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:08 am »

I think you can repeatedly hit them with waves of water until they lose their grip on the baby.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:54:25 am »

They'll just run over to try to retrive the baby, tho...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:19:45 am »

Not if you block the path. Think baby containment area; mom gets in the tube, gets hit with the wave of water, loses the kid, who floats along down the line past a raising bridge. Raise bridge, child is out of the way.

However, they'll die of thirst without their mothers unless they're nearly at the child stage, so you may as well kill them off.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 04:57:47 am »

This is why I usually make a "maternity ward" in my forts.  Mothers go in, and do not come out until their children are able to survive without being carried.  Only then can they go back to their daily routine.

I like to think that the mommas enjoy the safety.  I've had FBs roaming the hallways as children grow up before.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:28 am »

This is why I usually make a "maternity ward" in my forts.  Mothers go in, and do not come out until their children are able to survive without being carried.  Only then can they go back to their daily routine.

I like to think that the mommas enjoy the safety.  I've had FBs roaming the hallways as children grow up before.

BURN THE HERETIC! BURN HIM!

Dwarven Baby Armour is a sacred tradition!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:50:59 am »

Did I mention I also limit my fortress population limit to 30 dwarves in the init file, so that babies are the ONLY way for my fortress to grow much larger than 50?

Heretic maybe... but when that's the only way to have a big fortress, you tend to be less flippant with your younglings.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:07:56 am »

Why would you want to separate a baby from his/her parent? Put the mother on fortress duty for the year, meaning no walking outside the defences and no danger room training, then once the baby grows to become a child, put it in a burrow for the next 11 years.

Then again, if you like the mother and father then you should probably put them on fortress duty permanently, Iīve had one couple get around 10 babies before the oldest grew up, and you loose those if one of the parents get killed.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:33:10 am »

Why would you want to separate a baby from his/her parent?
The Axedwarf catches the {+iron bolt+} with her -Dwarven Meat Shield-!
The Dwarven baby has been struck down.
Urist McLegendaryAxemother has gone berserk!
The Axedwarf hacks the Armorer in the head with her ☼steel battle axe☼! The severed part flies off in a bloody arc!
Urist McLegendaryArmorer has been struck down.
The Axedwarf hacks the Brewer in the head with her ☼steel battle axe☼! The severed part flies off in a bloody arc!
Urist McLegendaryBrewer has been struck down.
The Axedwarf hacks the Miner in the head with her ☼steel battle axe☼! The severed part flies off in a bloody arc!
Urist McOnlyMiner has been struck down.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:13 am »

Put the axedwarf in the fortress guard or otherwise keep her away from danger, loosing a married dwarf means that you loose all future dwarflings that family will produce, so keep her just as safe as her babies.

I made a new squad just for my soldier couple so they donīt wander into the danger room and harm their children.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:18:23 am »

That's not a bad idea, actually...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »

Danger rooms are much more faster. Dwarven engineering is just as efficient with post-birth abortions as with everything else. On a side note, if the mother has Royal Quarters, she could lose a dozen children and still be happy. Alternately, lock her up in a special external room in full gear, then kill the kid. If she is okay, release her. If she goes berserk, wait until the next siege, then pull back all your dwarves, bar the doors, and let her loose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »

For what's worth, the mayor in my fortress got sentenced to jail for generally flipping her shit, and she had a baby who somehow ran away on her own. The mayor freaked out even harder by trying to reclaim her daughter while still being chained. Luckily for the girl, her mother died, but she grew up before dying of dehydration, avoided a stupid death, and is now quite fine for an orphan.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:17:23 pm »

I generally prefer it when the baby absorbs damage instead of the soldier. :-\
Pages: [1] 2