Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Rockfalls the Depths of Volcanoes ~ The story of 20 dwarves in a pressure cooker  (Read 69608 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile

Slime, Captain amongst refugees, 14 Felsite

New faces abound. New recruits for me to direct... from a respectable position behind the traps, of course. If you lose the commander, you lose the whole army.

Now, we had just started digging a tree farm when a caravan of itinerant elves pops up. There's timing for you.

A quick vote settled it: we will trade with them, not attack. Curse this influx of peace-loving migrants. I was fully prepared to give the order to mob them.

I've been interviewing the newcomers to see if they'd do well as meatshi- I mean brave and noble warriors. One of them in particular impressed me.
HiEv is a flautist, weaver, high fashion clothes designer, metalsmith, woodworker, artist, stone carver, glassblower, cheese enthusiast, leatherworker, bone carver, pessimist, potter, varnisher, and worker of wax.
Unsurprisingly, he is immodest. He is also incredibly rash, never thinking through his actions. I saw him dancing on the trapped entryway earlier.

Then there is the refugee Goro. An immensely fat and quite strong blue-eyed hooligan. I immediately drafted him into our militia. He's wide enough to block a dozen arrows at once. And he obeys orders! This feeling is joy.
Goro is a beginning miner, not having advance very far as he tends to get distracted by pulling up various plants and snacking on them.
A few people have referred to him by the name Yelledbanners, presumably because of his habit of shouting a rolling selection of various catchphrases of his own design. To put it more politely, "he has a natural inclination towards language".
He has no combat skills, but a preference for spears. We don't have any, so I may recommend he uses either his trusty pick, or one of our spare axes.

I've also noticed we now have a master soapmaker, excess tallow, and time to spare. The master Shadenight is applying himself to the business of soapmaking. He's a thin, industrious, non-intellectual type who occasionally talks to buckets and things as he works.

Now, for the first time, we have soap to wash with. Our wounded will be cleaned instead of just lain in neat rows. Perhaps tragedy will be kept at arm's length. Perhaps nobody else will have to suffer the terror of receiving scars. I know mine keep me up at night. But such grisly negligences are at an end now.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of Hawkeye, 15 Felsite 204

Savi is dead, succumbed to infection. Nobody saw this grisly fate coming. If they had, it could only be described as negligence.

Our hospital nook is still far from well-stocked or well-staffed.

Catalyst and Thadtude cry out with woe. Few others knew Savi well.

I have ordered stout dwarves to take their minds off it by hauling the clothes of the dead to the trade depot. I watch over the scurrying with, yes, a hawk eye. I am the appraiser of wares. I shall brook no nonsense.

Meanwhile, the immense Goro and a part-time mason named HiEv breach the deep caverns that we may gather wood and plants. One cuts stone, the other places it. When our tree farm is ready, this dangerous subterranean egress shall be re-sealed.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

i love how i have been drawn. XD you even got all my features right, except the weight.
even the beard is perfect! XD
may the power of soap be with you!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile

A pity.  Still, I had it comin'!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

Thanks for the dorf Dante...its almost shocking how many personality traits me and Goro have in common (I have a habit of making several catchphrases in one day and I do pick up languages fairly quickly.So perhaps Goro could be the "secret dwarven Plato" under his large bumbling exterior
 Can't stress this enough but thanks for the dwarf :D
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile

Ah!  This place!  It's just what I've been looking for!  While some would see a beaten down group of refugees huddling together in a barely adequate hovel, I see it for what it is: a perfect opportunity to demonstrate my magnificence!  I literally danced with excitement when I saw what I'd found.

Looking around while doing some boring masonry work (I'm always in demand  ;D ) it looks like we have... well... rock, sand, access to magma, traders... and not much else (though that should soon change with cavern access).  Well, you know what they say: when life gives you sand, make glass pitchers for the lemonade ... or whatever.  I'm too excited to care!

I quickly fired off orders to whomever was nearby about digging over to the magma so we could set up magma glass furnaces, getting bags (with or without sand), wool, thread, and cloth from the elven traders, collecting sand, and setting me up with a decent room so I could ponder my plans without all of these distractions.  (I think stepped in some poo, too.  How dreadful.)

I then looked around some more and revised and perfected my plans.  Yes, once we had made the glassworks we could make some lovely store windows to present my latest fashion designs, which would bring traders from all around to trade with us!  Our supply problem would be solved too.  People would bring us whatever we needed in trade for my latest wares!  What could be more perfect!?!  I grabbed another nearby dwarf, told him what I needed next, and pushed him off as I returned to deep thought.  (He looked back at me a he walked off with an odd expression on his face, but I presume he just wasn't used to being in the presence of a genius at work.  A few shooing gestures and he was off.)

Yes, I shall not only become famous for saving this fort, but I shall make it my fashion capital!

-----

After looking around some more and talking to some of my future sweatshop workers employees, I saw the need to revise some plans.  Apparently those red rocks outside aren't naturally red, as I'd hoped.  Eww...  Well, we can pretty that up with some lovely glass cage traps.  I shouldn't have much trouble making those.  No blood, more protection, and it will be entertaining for the traders to look at as they come in to our lovely shops.  Who doesn't love a zoo?  I fired off more orders to some other people who, doubtless, would see their wisdom and pass them on to the appropriate manager or whatever.  Surely someone around here can make mechanisms, right?  Meanwhile I'm going to decide what we should call our lovely fashion boutique!

OOC: Feel free to implement or not implement any of that.  Anything that doesn't get implemented was either simply told to someone who ignored him or contradicted by another of his own orders.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:08:12 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

Personaly ill find it interesting when they find the pump stack that made the magma lake. :) theirs going to be questions.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe its much to ask but could you do an update on a list of dwarves living in the magma(or did i miss something and did they all die?), and a list of dwarves on the surface, especially the dorfed ones(almost all no?)

Great story, ive been following it from the start. how old is the dwarven chil dorfed after me?
really like what your doing with the migrants, some parts remind me of a few books ive read!

keep it up!
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Current list:

Still can't do much until somebody wants to be dorfed with the moody presserdwarf.

If the presser isn't taken, I will. Name: GoldWyrm.
If s/he is...give me a chance to finish reading the thread.
EDIT: Are there any dwarves left? If not, I'd like one of the migrants who decides to come for the sights and stay for the shield-me-from-goblins ruins. EDITEDIT: If any survive long enough. Name: GoldWyrm. If no migrants EDITEDIT have survived after a year or so, then I'll take the next unclaimed baby. I'll come upwith a personality once I know what the dwarf is.
Oh, brother, migrants don't live long...I'd like the next infant. I'll come up with a personality once s/he is born. Name: GoldWyrm. Boonus if baby Goldworm likes gold!
Also, how did you drop the dwarves in safely? I can't think of any way that wouldn't end in !!dwarf pancakes (~20)!!.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:49:35 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

he didnt drop them in, he dug the rock out and flooded a lake surrounding a sealed chamber(s)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

he didnt drop them in, he dug the rock out and flooded a lake surrounding a sealed chamber(s)
Ah...That is much different.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi guys. I haven't forgotten about this fort, but I have exams at the moment so it'll be a week or two until I get back to it.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile

We shall wait in patient anticipation.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

best curse against dwarfs is: "eh sod it, let those ones die"

thriftshopmusketeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting for ease of following!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17