Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I thought elves were against eating sapients.  (Read 2389 times)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I thought elves were against eating sapients.
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »

Just perusing legends of my newest world, and come across this gem. Though I guess 12 humans standing up to 51 elves, and managing to take down all but 10 of them, is enough to drive any elf mad watching so many of his allies dying.

One year later, said elf was himself eaten by a hydra.

Hell, while we're at it, that whole war is like this. Elves come in huge numbers, fight a relatively small number of humans, and while the elves usually win, they suffer massive losses. 6 humans defeat 40 elves before going down, leaving only four survivers. 58 against 16, and so on, and there was more than one case of the elf leader eating the human leader afterward.

Cannibal elves, and I didn't even have to mod it in. I think I'm going to like this world.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: I thought elves were against eating sapients.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »

Elves are against the destruction of trees. Cannibalism isn't that big a deal to them.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:53:35 pm »

I see. If I actually bothered to look in the file, the elvish ethics are:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

So basically, they're a "let nothing go to waste" bunch, but don't do it unless it unless it was like a combat kill. All this time I've played and I never looked that close.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »

It's sort of amusing that the ultimate product of elven immortality is the dominance of said elves due to the vast numbers of meatshields. Really makes it obvious just how ridiculous the standard elven "immortal yet rare/dying race" scenario is.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »

They are dying, though. Just look at the numbers in this battle! If they keep it up, they'll become the typical elven stereotype as you said, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:33 pm »

It doesn't make any difference if they spit out kids at the same speed as other races (which they do). Why do you think most worlds are completely covered in elves?

Furthermore, while one elf civ is being fought, others are growing exponentially. There's basically nothing to stop elven populations from hitting the pop cap if they're left alone, although I suppose that'll change soon enough.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:28 pm »

The new version added famines and they have no maxage tag, so all the other races are dying and the tree-loving bastards are just living happily?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »

Serious questing real quick: Is there any way to check what the actual populations of the individual races are without just counting all the still living ones in the Historical Figures?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:35 pm »

Don't think so, no. Not unless they all come to your fort to beseige/trade with you. Which is unlikely.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »

The best method I know of (and it's not very good) is to go to the Legends mode main screen, hit p to export site pops, and search through the list for the populations of each individual site. Unless that doesn't list the phantom/non-existing placeholder populations.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:01 pm »

Serious questing real quick: Is there any way to check what the actual populations of the individual races are without just counting all the still living ones in the Historical Figures?

Count the populations of all the race's settlements in regionx-world_sites_and_pops?

EDIT: Aagh, ninjad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 10:17:00 pm »

Basically, no way to do it without some math on my part.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »

Elves being an immortal-yet-endangered race is not a cliché, but a law.
A law enforced by dwarves.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »

As evidence of Gnauga's post:

That's right. Four dwarven defenders, who lost two of their number. They killed 125 out of 143 attackers.

For the record, the rest of the war was elves attacking and pillaging undefended dwarven settlements.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »

As evidence of Gnauga's post:

That's right. Four dwarven defenders, who lost two of their number. They killed 125 out of 143 attackers.

For the record, the rest of the war was elves attacking and pillaging undefended dwarven settlements.

Now those are some dwarven heroes, even if they did lose.

I was going further through the legends, and found that after this first war finally ended, there was a second, a single battle, in which, interestingly enough, the humans employed giant janguars against the elves. And the reason for the war was the treatment of animals. Only one battle that time, again, relatively small numbers on the human side, the elves won, but suffered massive losses. A third war less than two years later, the elves now coming in numbers of 80-90 on their attacks, and groups of 20-30 humans taking out between 60-70 of them per battle while still losing in the end. I hit short history, stopping at 125, and this war has been going on for nearly 50 years, and hasn't stopped yet. Makes me wish elves and the other races were actually in the game so I could play a human of the Bronze Empires and get some payback.
Pages: [1] 2 3