Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: The Koran Trial  (Read 10208 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Koran Trial
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:42 pm »

In the same way you might respect people's right to freedom of expression even if you find their views abhorrant.

Sure.  But you clearly specified one of them, so I don't see the problem.

Yeah. I would respect that. I won't respect the choice, as in I will not think highly of it, but I will uphold their right to make that choice and their sovereignty to enforce that choice.

And yeah. You are right, it is true that I specified one and you had the right to ask, I just wanted to clarify my position before the trolls came out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »

All cool then.  I personally don't think it was a particularly good idea, although it was probably made more with winnings votes in mind that national interest.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:12:37 pm by Leafsnail »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:38 am »

I don't agree with the general standpoint here. 
Deliberately inciting violence?  Yea...  You are dealing with uneducated people.  They see most outsiders as 'the west'.  Specifically, the US being the biggest influence/public image of 'the west'. 
Akin to the rednecks to the west.    Stupid and prone to reactionary dumbassery. 

What if some Muslims started burning the holy books of the Jews or the Bible with heavy media coverage?  Somewhere out there, people are gonna get lynched(or bombed) cause of that.

You don't gorram poke a hornets nest expecting shit to not go down.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2011, 05:27:59 am »

What if some Muslims started burning the holy books of the Jews or the Bible with heavy media coverage?  Somewhere out there, people are gonna get lynched(or bombed) cause of that.
Somehow I doubt that. As far as I know there hasn't been any religious violence incited by Christians since the beginning of the century, but violence in the Islamic world is not just common, it's the default response to anything seen as an insult to the Islam/the Sunni's/whatever other excuse some militant imam comes up with.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2011, 05:40:57 am »

Virex, please investigate the lord's resistance army, the IRA, the neo evangelist church in Africa, Fulbet Youlou...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 05:55:56 am »

The IRA has been largely inactive since the start of the century; the LRA is largely an anti-governmental, ethnical resistance group who's leader happens to use religious propaganda (and is batshit insane) and Fulber Youlou's crimes were of an ethnic nature instead of religious. Besides that, the mere fact that you need to quote the neo evangelist church in Africa, of which almost no information can be easily found should be an indication that violence amongst Christians is far less widespread then you seem to think.
Besides that, if you look closely at Christian-inspired violence you'll see it's often a (according to themselves) repressed group forming a militant groups, resulting in long-lasting, focused conflicts. Violence in the Islamic world is far less directed, often committed by a group formed on the spot by a random amalgamation of people and those who commit it rarely reappear in the same group (nor do they get into the same kind of problem that violent Christians would). That difference in the nature of violence in the two worlds is why I doubt that burning a Bible is going to result in anything else then peaceful protests at an embassy or something.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:47 am »

Acually you're right, because I was thinking about last century 1900-2000 instead of this one 2000-2100
In the last century, Christian violence has been widespread, as well as racial violence from white people, letting long lasting scar in African, Asian and middle western societies. Nearly all structure of power have been destroyed, replaced by shady, backwater government. Their culture have been eradicated and they had to get through violent revolution to chase the European, who in turn have often backed violent, psychotics goon to keep the region within their grasp. The whole third word has been a battle groud for the USSR and the Nato in the cold war, only letting dictatorships like Egypt, Lybia, Iran, Irak,... Afghanistan is so fucked by the seed of extremism and the fighter formed by the US to fight the Russian invasion that it's not within anybody ability to fix it.
Radical Islam has been used by both side has an easy and sure way to get disposable fighters and you wonder why current muslims tend to get violent?

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:11 am »

Let's just say I wouldn't want to be an Arab in Deep South if Muslims were burning Bibles.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:13 am »

Let's just say I wouldn't want to be an Arab in Deep South if Muslims were burning Bibles.

Actually, I don't think it would be as threatening as you think. Not because Christians are somehow less violent, but because the United States has a much better rule of law. Rednecks might commit verbal abuse or slash your tires, but I strongly suspect you wouldn't see lynch mobs or riots, just because we've spent the last fifty years driving home the point that we don't tolerate that here.

Now fifty years ago? Oh hell no...*I* wouldn't have even wanted to be in the Deep South then, and I'm a Southern white.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »

I just believe you guys are overestimating the 'civilization' level of the rest of the world.

Muslims are already portrayed as the bad guys in some places....  Wouldn't be too surprising if some kids these days are taught that being a Muslim/Arab is bad.  What better excuse?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

I'd like to remind people that my OP was asking for footage of the trial. Supposedly it was streamed live. Anyone found some yet?

The book was found guilty, but I want to see how it happened. Clearly it was prejudiced, or the defense attorney was incompetent, since a book doesn't have the materials to rape people, but I want to see them making the case for it doing so.

Also something to note, Muslims see the Koran as sacred in a way Christians don't view the bible. Burning a church would probably be closer to the same level of sacrilege. No matter what though, Human life is sacred. It says so in both the Bible and Koran in several ways.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »

Human life is sacred.

Problem:  Define human.

The definition is neither static nor binary.  Outsiders are always less human than members of the tribe (i.e. whatever group(s) matters in a given context), even if they're recognized as human on some level.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

I'd like to remind people that my OP was asking for footage of the trial. Supposedly it was streamed live. Anyone found some yet?

The book was found guilty, but I want to see how it happened. Clearly it was prejudiced, or the defense attorney was incompetent, since a book doesn't have the materials to rape people, but I want to see them making the case for it doing so.

Also something to note, Muslims see the Koran as sacred in a way Christians don't view the bible. Burning a church would probably be closer to the same level of sacrilege. No matter what though, Human life is sacred. It says so in both the Bible and Koran in several ways.

One glaring problem is the self-selecting nature of the "jury". To paraphrase Pastor Jones, "We didn't pick the jury members, we just got the wrod out there of what we were going to do, and allowed people who were interested to come to us. We were disappointed we didn't get any Muslim volunteers."

Can't imagine why. And yeah, I can't imagine that the sort of people in Crackerloosahoma, Florida who would jump at the chance to take part in this would be at all biased.   ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »

Rebute to 'human' life is sacred.

Step 1: Treat X race/ethnicity as sub-human or non-human.
Step 2: Separation, bad media, rumours for X race/ethnicity.
Step 3: "Guys! They are lesser humans, so its A-OK." (You know what happens here...)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:18 pm »

Rebute to 'human' life is sacred.

Step 1: Treat X race/ethnicity as sub-human or non-human.
Step 2: Separation, bad media, rumours for X race/ethnicity.
Step 3: "Guys! They are lesser humans, so its A-OK." (You know what happens here...)
"Greater good",  you forgot "greater good".

Oh yeah and, "since they have done X, they aren't deserving the title of human" anymore is also a favourite of killers everywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11