Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building of a house  (Read 1426 times)

jjgamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building of a house
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

So I went into fortress mode to build myself a house in adventure mode so I could sleep safely(With a buddy nearby) and store my loot(Im a horder) do you guys think this is a good idea?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Building of a house
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »

Well, it's not a bad idea. As you adventure out and kill the nearby things, you have to travel farther and farther from safety. Also, old fortresses are ridiculously hard to find in adventure mode.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:06:32 am »

Hard if you go Fort mode then create an adventurer. Easy if you retire the adventurer then place a fort near by.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:45:25 am »

Personally, I've wanted to go into fortress mode, make tonnes of bunker style areas all over the place, each with their own sealed off areas and have my adventurer have to try and find a way around them :D
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

Best trick to remembering locations, or certain areas, is to leave Notes on the world map, during embarks. Leave adventure mode, go to fortress mode embark, look around on the world mode, till you see the note.Escape fortress mode, then return to adventure mode.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:45:38 am »

Jesus shit that would be good, talking of housing, is a lair you cleaned a good place to store your goods? I am thinking of playing as a human outsider, then find a lair, kill the fucker inside, and then live from the nature around me, like random groundhogs passing by..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

Jesus shit that would be good, talking of housing, is a lair you cleaned a good place to store your goods? I am thinking of playing as a human outsider, then find a lair, kill the fucker inside, and then live from the nature around me, like random groundhogs passing by..

I've been using an abandoned lair I found as a storehouse recently. It seems to work fine: I haven't had to deal with any of the random scattering at all--except of the badgers my companions kill, the corpses of which are mysteriously moved inside the lair itself when I'm away.  :-\
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

whitey321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

Isn't Today adding that you can build a house in adventure mode soon.
Technically, it's not pacifism, it's militant uprising led by an overly-charismatic but useless dictator
Dwarf Fortress: Life Through Hitler's Eyes

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »

hey I just made a thread explaining how to build a house and live in it in adventure mode*

*well you have to use Fort mode and Dfmode but you can sleep and retire in a custom made non human site.
"body swapping and YOU!"

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »

Shouldn't it be possible to just build a fort, use dflair on it, abandon it, and use that if you just want your own "house" without actually incorporating your adventurer into an operating fort? Assuming you don't care about the NPCs and only want a building where things won't get scattered....

BTW, someone should put all this on the wiki.

Also, I can confirm that using a night creature (or whatever) lair works perfectly fine for sleeping and storing items. Things outside the lair will be scattered, things inside will be fine.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »

Here is what someone ought to do; make fortresses, and dig a tunnel(s) from one end of of the embark area to another, until you have a tunnel system going trough the whole world... Or at least big part of it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:54:53 pm »

Shouldn't it be possible to just build a fort, use dflair on it, abandon it, and use that if you just want your own "house" without actually incorporating your adventurer into an operating fort? Assuming you don't care about the NPCs and only want a building where things won't get scattered....

BTW, someone should put all this on the wiki.

Also, I can confirm that using a night creature (or whatever) lair works perfectly fine for sleeping and storing items. Things outside the lair will be scattered, things inside will be fine.
well if you want a quick house for storage then yes. the guide I made pretty much a way to have your adventurer to build their own or add on to the place previously built. also I don't know if Dflair works given that the description say the utility just changes the site to lair than changes the site to lair and cover every tile in the site with the non scatter flag. you can pretty much kick out a person(or rent out a home) in a hamlet set the flags in the house to no scatter and live there.
"body swapping and YOU!"