Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I...  (Read 577 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
How can I...
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »

How can I go about creating a Carp trap or exicution pit? I want to take full advantage of the Carp, before they have left.

I get that you stick them in a pond, but how do you go about acquiring them in the first place?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »

Dams, floodgates, and Canals?
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »

Presuming the Carp already exist in your embark, or will spawn at some point.

1) Create the pit/trap.
2) create a channel from the water source containing the carp to the pit trap.
3) wait for a carp to swim into the trap area.
4) close the exits of the trap.
5) Kill the carp (draining the water does this without risking any dwarfs, assuming you've set it up so you can do it remotely).

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I think we're all missing the point here, I want LIVING carp, in a pit in which I use to execute elves, or any other untameable wildlife.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »

Carp are kind of wimpy and unaggressive in the current version.  But if you really want to trap them, here's what you do.

First, you need to be on a map that has a river with Carp in it.  You can't get them from traders, you need to catch them from the wild.

Dig a canal next to but not connected to the river.  Line the bottom of the canal with cage traps.  Dig the canal one tile further and place floodgates there.  Build a lever somewhere else and link it to the floodgate.  Now channel out the final connection between the other side of the floodgate and the river.  Water should not fill your canal until you pull the lever to let water into the canal.

Now you wait.  Eventually, assuming your embark site has carp in the first place, carp may wander into the canal and get caught.

Pull the lever to close the floodgates.  Now build a pump and pump the water from the canal back into the river.  You can now retrieve your caged carp.

You won't be able to tame them without modding, since carp don't have the PET tag.  And even if you do tame them, aquatic creatures aren't much use for attacking anything, and carp aren't all that dangerous anymore.

You may also look at this thread for some ideas and inspiration:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780.0
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:30:30 pm »

I think we're all missing the point here, I want LIVING carp, in a pit in which I use to execute elves, or any other untameable wildlife.

just skip the "kill the carp" portion of my previous post, & add a "Build an Execution tower extending over the pit" at some point.