Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with volcano => obsidian  (Read 392 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with volcano => obsidian
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:03:44 pm »

I have a (low lying) volcano capped with several layers of obsidian from river water, this was considerable time and effort, for all but the topmost level,  caused massive FPS lag due to cave-ins down to the magma sea, and gave me rooms rather than multi-z-level solid obsidian. I read that you can drain a volcano deep down, does a volcano refill by itself if you do this then close the drain? Any ideas on what to do with the rest of my volcano?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:05:40 pm by Reelyanoob »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with volcano => obsidian
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »

The volcano will refill from the bottom up, so if you drain it faster than it fills, the level will drop.

If you then create a floor of some description (flooding it with water to cast obsidian counts), the lava/magma will be unable to flow up past the floor.

On the downside, I now tend to avoid volcano embarks because the volume occupied by the volcano is volume not occupied by valuable minerals (unless you want to base your industry primarily around Obsidian).

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with volcano => obsidian
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

The volcano will refill from the bottom up, so if you drain it faster than it fills, the level will drop.

If you then create a floor of some description (flooding it with water to cast obsidian counts), the lava/magma will be unable to flow up past the floor.

On the downside, I now tend to avoid volcano embarks because the volume occupied by the volcano is volume not occupied by valuable minerals (unless you want to base your industry primarily around Obsidian).

I'm already casting the upper levels, but without pumps down below i have to manually channel out each level, then let the water in to cast the next level down. The magma's not rising back into the areas i've cast and channelled. Maybe they are no longer tagged as volcano squares?

I avoided volcanos for a long time due to that downside, but now I compensate by adding more z-levels below ground, and realizing I never run a single fort long enough to mine more than a fraction anyway.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:05:52 pm by Reelyanoob »