Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How much iron is "enough"  (Read 2289 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much iron is "enough"
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »

I didn't want to use dfreveal due to reveal accidents, not because I thought it was exploit-y. I didn't want to end up with a permanently revealed map is all. I guess if I take the proper precautions I can spare myself those accidents though.

Turn on auto save on embark in d_init.ini, use reveal when first embarking, and you still have the auto-save even if you stuff up and have to 'abandon fortress'

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »

I didn't want to use dfreveal due to reveal accidents, not because I thought it was exploit-y. I didn't want to end up with a permanently revealed map is all. I guess if I take the proper precautions I can spare myself those accidents though.
CTRL-ALT-DEL, bring up task manager, Choose Processes Tab, Right Click Dwarf Fortress.exe, Select End Process.

DF will terminate immediately, without saving or abandoning. You will lose any progress since your last save, but your fort will be safe from any permanent reveal issues. If you're revealing at embark (likely) I highly recommend using "initial save" value of YES, so that you don't have to make your embark preparations again.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 03:05:17 pm »

I normally have the initial save turned ON. I just hadn't ever used the DF Hack library in general and was a little nervous due to all of the warnings. Seems like it's safe enough to use especially if you limit it to just at the beginning before you're heavily invested in a fort. Any mistakes then can be easily fixed or redone
Pages: 1 [2]