Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping structures into the ocean - is it possible?  (Read 1153 times)

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping structures into the ocean - is it possible?
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:22 pm »

So I know there have already been threads about this idea, but they were mostly about dropping structures with dwarves inside into magma. So I wonder if it is possible to drop a structure with a dwarf inside into water (sea) and have the dwarf survive. Probably not, but I couldn't figure out from reading the other threads whether the fact that we can't do that and have them survive has been confirmed.

Also, is there a way to get your dwarves into cages on demand?

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping structures into the ocean - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »

It's possible I think, you would just need no entrances or open areas for water to get in, and make sure your dwarves don't die upon impact. To get dwarves into cages, you either need webs from a GCS, or you could somehow knock one unconscious.
Blargh.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »

This is sadly impossible. Artificial walls and floors deconstruct when dropped while natural walls will cavein into a slab of rock, killing everything inside and leaving no usable 'rooms'.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

Hmm, if dwarves land on water do they still split into pieces?
Blargh.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »

The same limitations apply as they do in the magma case, only that SMR problems do not apply.

From the other thread:

There are a few problems with this:

terrain falls instantly. Dwarves do not. The terrain would fall through them killing them instantly while leaving them suspended in mid-air.

All open space under falling terrain will be collapsed. Supposedly this will not happen with stairs, so such a vessel would need to be a chamber of carved stairs. In other words, structures won't keep their shape

Liquid is immediately displaced on top of the falling terrain--not sure if this applies with stairs as well.

Terrain that touches the molten rock floor of the magma sea instantly turns to magma. This would need to be done in a cistern.

Unless I've missed something, and assuming that a dwarf will not be crushed by falling stairs, assuming that water/magma does not displace into stairs like it would on top of solid terrain, and assuming you have some way of dropping a vessel one z-level at a time, it may still be possible to make a vessel of the form of a 3x3x3 up/down stairs encased in stone with dwarves stationed on the bottommost level, and drop this into fluid 1 z-level at a time.

and as noted, built-structures won't stay constructed when collapsed.

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 01:40:13 pm »

To get dwarves into cages, you either need webs from a GCS, or you could somehow knock one unconscious.

Uh... a bit of explanation here please? I know that GCS stands for Giant Cave Spider, but I fail to see how their webs (or being knocked unconscious for that matter) could get your dwarves into cages. Is it possible to arrange for them to commit a crime (maybe violate a mandate?) and then cage them?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »

Uh... a bit of explanation here please? I know that GCS stands for Giant Cave Spider, but I fail to see how their webs (or being knocked unconscious for that matter) could get your dwarves into cages. Is it possible to arrange for them to commit a crime (maybe violate a mandate?) and then cage them?
If a creature gets caught in a web when on a cage trap, that creature gets caged.  It doesn't matter what the creature is.  One of your dwarves stepping on webbing that's covering a cage trap will get caught in a cage.  The same is also true for normally un-cageable creatures like forgotten beasts or demons.  So if you can arrange to cover some cage traps with webs, you can cage your dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »

To get dwarves into cages, you either need webs from a GCS, or you could somehow knock one unconscious.

Being webbed or unconscious cancels the trapavoid special ability. This is why it's a bad idea for dwarves to sleep on serrated disk traps.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

Well you could make a floor above the ocean,  cast some obsidian walls on the floor, drop the walls into the bottom, drain the structure with pumps,  build floors and interior structures,  move in some dwarves,  cast an obsidian celing above them, then breach the walls above the celing so you'll have a underwater sealed community. 
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »

I believe someone on that thread managed to drop dwarves into an artificial pit of magma.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »

look up the dwarven magma sub experiments
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »

I know now. I believe that natural walls falling on a 7/7 water/magma will not be destroyed. At least that's what I figured from this thread.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:36 am »

Hmm, if dwarves land on water do they still split into pieces?
Well, falling into water in adventure mode does nothing to cushion the impact, and you'll fall right to the bottom, including flying to pieces in the impact if it's far enough. I'd assume the same physics apply in dwarf mode.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 02:16:54 am »

Being webbed or unconscious cancels the trapavoid special ability. This is why it's a bad idea for dwarves to sleep on serrated disk traps.
Yeah ... its usually a very bad idea to sleep on an table saw.  ??? ::) :o :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"