Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how to tame cave crocodiles??  (Read 1584 times)

kkolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how to tame cave crocodiles??
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:28 am »

hi there!

i just caged a cave croc and wanted to tame it.
i alredy changed the [PET_EXOTIC] tag to [PET] in the raws. but i still cant tame it...... 

is there anything i missed??

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: how to tame cave crocodiles??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:17 am »

You may need to change it in your save file rather than the main raws.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

kkolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:18 am »

oh thx, that sounds promising.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:33 am »

There's a set of raws used for worldgen, and then another set of raws once the world is made. I think you need to edit both sets of raws.

DF Folder > Data > Save > Region X > Raw > creature_subterranean

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:11 am »

If you want to change it in an existing world, you do it in the raws contained in the folder tree for that world.

If you want to change in in all worlds not yet generated, you change it in the main raws for the game.

kkolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:18 am »

ok thx @ all! it just worked. wasnt aware that there are raws for every single save...

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

Yeah, I had this same problem when I first caught some exotic animals.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »

ok thx @ all! it just worked. wasnt aware that there are raws for every single save...

One advantage of the worldgen raws is you can buy any pet at embark or from the caravan. Even extra dwarves if you add pet tags to the race in "creature_standard.txt" with you being able to control gender and age, unlike your starting dwarves, but the extra dwarves get no skills. You have to un-pet them in the save file raws once embarked though to be able to change their labours, with pet tags the only thing you can do to a dwarf is set them to be slaughtered, like other tame animals. And this affects ALL dwarves until the tag is removed. I didn't check whether they actually get butchered though. And the 'extra' dwarves are forever known as "Urist McSlave - Miner (tame)" though they seem to be normal otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:27:29 pm by Reelyanoob »

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

One advantage of the worldgen raws is you can buy any pet at embark or from the caravan. Even extra dwarves if you add pet tags to the race in "creature_standard.txt" with you being able to control gender and age, unlike your starting dwarves, but the extra dwarves get no skills. You have to up-pet them in the save file raws once embarked though to be able to change their labours, with pet tags the only thing you can do to a dwarf is set them to be slaughtered, like other tame animals. And this affects ALL dwarves until the tag is removed. I didn't check whether they actually get butchered though. And the 'extra' dwarves are forever known as "Urist McSlave - Miner (tame)" though they seem to be normal otherwise.
This is awesome!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »

This is awesome!

Since your interested, I also took the pet tag off orangutans (got a tame one from the elves) in my save. I was then able to assign labours like a dwarf, but no luck with him doing anything, though I got some cancellation messages on a fishing labour after turning every labour on. He also seemed to be constantly thirsty. Maybe because he's not a pet now he needs to drink, but can't access alcohol / water source like a normal dwarf?

Something I just thought of is to start a world with the dwarf pet setting (editing the raws after to put dwarves to normal) camp out until the liason arrives and see if I can request caged dwarves for next year.

I'll edit this post with results, running test now.

BTW : the tags to add are [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] for buyable dwarves (cost 1 each unless you add [PET_VALUE:20] or simliar. They are labelled in the animal list as Peasant and Chlid (in male / female varieties).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:50:54 pm by Reelyanoob »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

If you can get them on embark you can get them through trade. You get peasants.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »

If you can get them on embark you can get them through trade. You get peasants.

I mean to see if they are still gettable from trade caravans once I mod the raws back to normal after worldgen. having the PET tag screws the dwarves up during play, because you can't access their labour choices (but they still seem to carry on with assigned labours, you just can't change assignments until the game is loaded without the tag). Dwarf Therapist or a similar program could probably change assignments with the PET tag in place, but i'm using the latest DF and Therapist is a couple versions behind.

I agree extra peasants sucks from a game-play point of view, which is why I didn't test this completely before. Extra at the start would help a lot more. Maybe have the extras be wood choppers, military trainees and haulers, etc.

EDIT : Embarked with 7 'extra' dwarves. Noted what was so off-putting the first time. Each extra dwarf is listed as e.g. "Momuz Mololok Stray Peasant (Tame)". All dwarves currently get the same interface as a pet with 's' for ready to slaughter. Running slaughter test now with  butcher, tanner, leatherworker ...

Ok slaughter worked easily enough with dwarven body parts now cluttering the butcher. But no tanning job is generated at the tannery, so no dwarf leather :( And built a food stockpile but the dwarves aren't stockpiling the dwarf guts etc :(. Ok they will stockpile the dead dwarf sushi in a 'corpse' stockpile. This may be changeable in the entity_default.txt dwarf civ settings.

EDIT2 : I'm now looking at the animal screen, the extra dwarves are listed here, and can be set for adoption or slaughter. I brought an animal trainer and genned the world with dwarves having [TRAINABLE]. Time for wardwarves training test. FAIL. No luck. I didn't have the tag after all in the save, Silly me. The 'pet' dwarves ARE war-trainable. I now have "stray war peasant (tame)". Now for adoption test. Reloaded with the PET tag gone (couldn't access dogs / labour on any dwarf with the tag there), they are no longer 'stray's but are 'war peasant (tame)' and am able to assign war dwarves as pets to other dwarves!! They still do jobs, but cluster with their 'owner' when not busy. Renamed custom profession on one to 'Slave Girl (tame)'. Hmm after training some of the tame peasants, can't seem to re-allocate labours on the trained ones, even after restoring the raw (though they are still doing jobs as normal), and they still appear in the animal section, are no longer listed as part of the pop limit, and can't be added to a squad. Still, war training should make them a bit tougher, they might make good general hauler/mason/mechanic types, with woodcutter skill so they grab an axe too.

Epilogue : Dwarves are still listed in trade goods of my civ even though pet tags are gone, i've requested male and female dwarves at max priority. Also of note, you can delete the extra tags before embarking, edit the region folder straight after creating the world. I was able to buy hunting and war dwarves at embark with [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE] during worldgen., though they are a little buggy. Dwarf therapist should fix it completely. Final epilogue : traders delivered 8 dwarf cages, and they are actually spawned with existing professions, unlike those bought on embark. Now I can't seem to get them out of the cages! Linking to a lever. All the cage dwarves were @ symbols rather than normal citizens, those that were let out ran off the map edge straight away :(. Some turned into normal face symbols after a while, for no apparent reason, while still caged, and stayed on release.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:34:05 am by Reelyanoob »

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 07:28:21 am »

Dwarf therapist works with the current version, I use it all the time.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

One advantage of the worldgen raws is you can buy any pet at embark or from the caravan. Even extra dwarves if you add pet tags to the race in "creature_standard.txt" with you being able to control gender and age, unlike your starting dwarves, but the extra dwarves get no skills. You have to un-pet them in the save file raws once embarked though to be able to change their labours, with pet tags the only thing you can do to a dwarf is set them to be slaughtered, like other tame animals. And this affects ALL dwarves until the tag is removed. I didn't check whether they actually get butchered though. And the 'extra' dwarves are forever known as "Urist McSlave - Miner (tame)" though they seem to be normal otherwise.
... out of morbid curiosity, how much do slave dwarves cost in embark points/dorfbucks?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »

Ooooer. I wonder if modding the files in a similar fashion will also give us Elven slaves. =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2