Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Mini Mega Project ?! some questions on pathing and enemy priorities  (Read 479 times)

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, After reading a bit about dodge traps and getting tired of chasing sieges around the map I decided on making a second entrance that leads to a maze system where I can control the path of siegers and baddies.  That isn't the main problem because thats easy and fun to do.  The problem I see is getting the siegers to actully go in and avoid my main bridge blocked entrance.   I heard people talking about glass walls to bait baddies into their fortress for a ambush and stuff so a few scenario's popped into my head.  I had a hard time having a few siegers one siege actually come to where the action was.  All they did was stand in a place on the map till I attacked them.  I have a full steel armored military and the 10 master swordsmen (i used a danger room) so sending them out to attack is no !fun! although I prefer having them than not having them. 

Am I baiting them down to the maze?  Will they path towards that open ramp down into my Maze-O-Death or try to go in through my main bridge blocked entrance?  I am probably still going to have to send out military into the field to seek out stragglers I feel. 

My next form of defenses is going to create a few fortified archer towers on the map with a tunnel system to guard a few points up the mountain im on.  Sadly those things won't happen for a while as archery training is a bit slow. 

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

AFAI goblins kind of follow their squad leader until they see an enemy and the squad leader paths to the nearest dwarf (pet?) but he sees everything on the map, he doesn't need to see it. Normal gobbo's also know where everything is but they just follow their leader.
Creatures will never path through closed bridges and they don't even see it as your entrance if it is closed.
Also: Humans actually siege you; they will wait for you to attack them.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technical - mini mega project is an oxymoron. You can have a either a mega project, or a mini project. I like mini projects, my current is carving a model of my fortress out of a single pine cone.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.