Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen Help please?  (Read 1631 times)

WJSabey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen Help please?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:28:45 am »

Hi, first off I'd like to say that I did look for an existing topic that could help, but I wasn't able to find one. I'd like to try building a fortress on a terrifying taiga, but not a freezing one, just cold. (I don't think I'm up for the challenge of a map without water yet) However, my worldgen doesn't seem able to come up with any suitable sites. Here's what I've got so far:
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:LARGE SIBERIAN]
[DIM:257:257]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:55:100:100]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:25:16:9:4:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:25:16:9:4:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:75]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:150]
[TITAN_NUMBER:33]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:52]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_NUMBER:52]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:244]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:6605:66049:66049]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
[VOLCANO_MIN:4]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:252:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1008:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2016:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2016:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:63:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:252:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2016:3:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2016:3:2]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:100:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:3500]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:25]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:10]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:40]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:60]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:1500]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[RAIN_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2016:4032:4032]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2016:4032:2016]
I've tried generating quite a few worlds, tweaking in between gens until I came up with this. However, I haven't been able to find one with a suitable site yet. (One with the terrifying and cold tags, but still having flux, no aquifer, a river and plenty of metal and soil). Am I just being too picky about sites, or is there something I could do to my worldgen to get what I want? Thanks for any help you can give.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen Help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:05:55 am »

raise minimum savagery to 70?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:41:44 am »

Hi, first off I'd like to say that I did look for an existing topic that could help, but I wasn't able to find one. I'd like to try building a fortress on a terrifying taiga, but not a freezing one, just cold. (I don't think I'm up for the challenge of a map without water yet) However, my worldgen doesn't seem able to come up with any suitable sites. Here's what I've got so far:
[...]
Definitely NOT too picky. Modding the raws can help. Make a copy and edit some details.

In the params :-

- set higher minimums for evil and good biomes. And you can up subregions to 5000 for more site variety. I also usually have much higher x and y variation for all the params, usually the max of 3200, for maximum variation because I use small maps.

- set minimum temp just over freezing, have a low maximum too. You can set no variation, same min and max, and run some worldgen tests to find the exact temp you want as the minimum. Set a really short history while running the tests. In reality you'd need some variation to keep the elves and humans alive.

In the raws :-

- delete all the AQUIFER tags in the layer types. Never have a site ruined again. Also delete all non-sand or clay soils, so you know you have one or the other :).

I once edited the layer stones. Shifted adamantine and gold to be layer stones :) and deleted all the boring stones. So much blue stuff I considered using it to make bins out of but couldn't bring myself to do this. I actually had a building stone shortage and adamantine/gold storage problem. I wouldn't go this far again, but deleting some less-interesting stone types gives more room for everything else. Beware some gems etc only appear in certain stone layers, this can be modded but it's some work. See the raws and the wiki for stone details.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:50:48 am by Reelyanoob »

WJSabey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47:17 am »

Wouldn't that prevent generation of any civilisations whatsoever? And I should have been more specific, the problem isn't the savagery, that's all over the place. The evil, on the other hand, is rather more limited, and on my last few gens seems to want to stay in the mountains for some reason(??). I also occasionally get sites that look somewhat OK, for example the last gen had one that was tundra, but it was freezing rather than cold and had an aquifer. While the aquifer could make up for the lack of a river, I don't think I could cope with working around one and fight off terrifying creatures. I think I'll try a fortress in a more normal climate while until I figure out how to fix it.

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd. That's a good idea about freezing, I thought of setting temp!min to prevent generation of freezing biomes, but didn't know what this setting would be, and it didn't occur to me to test it like you say. I generally prefer not to cheat in games, but to get rid of the aquifers I may make an exception. I'll just have to remember to revert it if I feel like trying one as a challenge. BTW, I can't set higher minimums for evil zones, that's the max the game can handle. Putting it higher results in it being ignored, as I found out by increasing it beyond the maximum in notepad. When I realised, I fixed it and suddenly my map got a whole lot more purple. Thanks for the help anyway, I'll try this out and see if I can get it right this time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:01:17 am by WJSabey »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:52:44 am »

Your evil is only 10%. I set near 50% of total tiles for both good and evil, once, trying to get a Terrifying and Mirthful site.

Try for min evil subregions of 25000 on that size map. Balancing more good too can help keep elves/humans etc alive.

Edit : I've loaded you settings inside the game and i'm making some suggestions of a quick peek.

1. Mineral scarcity lower. 100 gives the most, which is not much different from levels in versions >31.18

2. You evil is high, sorry i mistook that. I actually prefer 1/2 and 1/2 evil and good.

3. I don't like setting minimum anything I don't have to, other than volcanos. e.g you aren't wanting to live in a desert? Set minimum deserts much lower. It only wastes time and space on sites you don't want, but might hurt animal variety in game I guess to have no deserts? Also, it makes it harder to change settings without getting rejections.

4. 5000 subregions is allowed.

5. Even a pocket map can have >250 rivers locations with tweaking. Set much more rivers.

6. More z-levels in the sky. You can set 100. Right now you can build 15 levels up only.

7. I nuke all the 'minimum number of x elevation squares' because I like to experiment and this ruins it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:25:55 am by Reelyanoob »

WJSabey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

OK, I tried the testing, and it didn't go so well. Even with temperature confined to the 20-25 range, it still generated a world with the full range from freezing to scorching. Can anyone confirm these parameters actually have any effect? I'll try zeroing some of my mesh settings, do meshes maybe disable the simple min/max settings?

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »

Did some testing with the variance in the temperature settings. With low variance (100) and MIN/MAX of 25/35 I ended up with a lot of glacier and taiga near the poles. A very large region of cold, lots of temperate but as I approached the warm polar extreme actual Warm regions did make an appearance.

Latitude definitely has an effect upon the temperature settings. The best you can hope for it seems is increasing the size of the region types you want.
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:18:32 pm »

OK, I tried the testing, and it didn't go so well. Even with temperature confined to the 20-25 range, it still generated a world with the full range from freezing to scorching. Can anyone confirm these parameters actually have any effect? I'll try zeroing some of my mesh settings, do meshes maybe disable the simple min/max settings?
Meshes probably do that, i never use them, because I have a slow computer and use small maps and they seem to spread out rather than create variation, at least that was my initial experience. Try disabling just the temperature mesh.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:22:14 pm by Reelyanoob »