Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I stop demons?!  (Read 1783 times)

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop demons?!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »

You're pretty much boned if you pop the seal on the hidden fun without anticipating it. I did that and didn't have enough time to build walls anywhere (tried) but the aoe's + the flying was too much. I watched the world burn till the last dwarf it was pretty cool....15 years into this fort and carefully digging this time :D

If you do manage to block them off/try to fight them you'll lag out, there's so much from the initial spawn :(

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »

The spear trap trick doesn't always work... a few versions back [that is, before this recent rush of updates] I long tunnel with, literally, thousands of candy spears [via a candy generator...]. Some of them almost broke through so I capped the place and let the spears work their magic. A few years later in gametime, they're STILL being poked.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »

When I reached the, uh... fun stuff, I had a battery of marksdwarves follow my miners as they descended down the adamantite tunnel. When the opening was breached, I effectively had a chokepoint through which the uh, things, flew below while my firing squad poured bolts into them.

I mean, we still died but it gave me the illusion of security.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »

When I broke the seal I had a number of failsafes.  The primary one was that when sending in the sacrificial dwarf to do the breach, I walled him in.  The arena where all this happened was completely sealed in with fortifications at the very top level.  A number of locked doors leading down to the breach would also slow the demons as they would try to break em.  A raisable bridge provided a bit more security.  Finally, should anything make it through the fortifications or the bridge, I had a section of wall rigged to collapse and block the only passage between the breach and the fortress.

All of the failsafes worked, but it was the lag that killed me.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »

Theoretical scenario: Once/if the demons have been sealed in a closed space (since creatures with no path tend to be stationary), you could probably drop the ceiling on their heads, with a bit of planning. Like, the entire ceiling. It's an instant kill for everything, so if you have a ton of demons in a room/tunnel, it might be worth it. Just exploit the fact that cave-ins destroy floors (dorfs are timid little barrels of booze and will run away upon visual contact), and seal off any new access routes. I hear that there are infinite demons though, but at least you could put a huge dent in the initial zerg rush tsunami of death, fire and lag.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Xonir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 02:37:46 pm »

The spear trap trick doesn't always work... a few versions back [that is, before this recent rush of updates] I long tunnel with, literally, thousands of candy spears [via a candy generator...]. Some of them almost broke through so I capped the place and let the spears work their magic. A few years later in gametime, they're STILL being poked.

So basically it's like a danger room for demons? God help us all.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

Theoretical scenario: Once/if the demons have been sealed in a closed space (since creatures with no path tend to be stationary), you could probably drop the ceiling on their heads, with a bit of planning. Like, the entire ceiling. It's an instant kill for everything, so if you have a ton of demons in a room/tunnel, it might be worth it. Just exploit the fact that cave-ins destroy floors (dorfs are timid little barrels of booze and will run away upon visual contact), and seal off any new access routes. I hear that there are infinite demons though, but at least you could put a huge dent in the initial zerg rush tsunami of death, fire and lag.

Excellent.  That is going to be the next step in my arena setup.  Question: do falling constructed walls cause cave-ins or do they deconstruct?  I vaguely remember hearing that only natural walls cave in.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 04:14:33 pm »

Wood walls deconstruct, but still cause massive dust (i.e. epic knockback of doom). Whether they kill or not is beyond my knowledge, though. Floors deconstruct too, but likewise, also causes dust. I dropped a floor on an ettins heads, and it might have survived a few frames afterwards, though it likely died instantly.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »

Constructions cave in and deconstruct, still killing everything instantly.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2]