Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "-Some- migrants have arrived"  (Read 2220 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"-Some- migrants have arrived"
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:49 am »

21 of them.

Could have used a few more during that winter battle.

Random is random though.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: "-Some- migrants have arrived"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:05:23 am »

...so, your problem is?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:09:01 am »

The migrant is a very strange creature. It thrives on arriving to pre-established fortresses and leaching food, booze and supplies off of the area. They reproduce rapidly, constantly bring useless cats and be generally useless at everything except arrow bait. The only way to stop them is through execution en mass at your fortress gates before they have a chance to get inside and assimilate themselves with the real workers.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:16 am »

The migrant is a very strange creature. It thrives on arriving to pre-established fortresses and leaching food, booze and supplies off of the area. They reproduce rapidly, constantly bring useless cats and be generally useless at everything except arrow bait. The only way to stop them is through execution en mass at your fortress gates before they have a chance to get inside and assimilate themselves with the real workers.
I'm already thinking of good uses for their pets.

I'm thinking theoretical physics.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:22:25 am »

Leave the gates shut,  Issue them all some quantum stockpiled crossbows and bolts and have them fend off the hostile forces of the land,   those that make a name for themselves via their quickdraw and straight shooting skills are welcomed into the community,  those that fail get an unmarked coffin that sits in the burning sunlight forever.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:33 am »

When I see migrants, I think "Hooray, another leather-clad squad of wrestlers!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:01:29 am »

When I see migrants I think "more additions to the post-attack cleanup crew that inevitably gets slaughtered by the 120 Sand Raiders/Bugbears/Violet Xelics/Goblins/Etc that show up halfway through".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 05:29:35 am »

Am I the only one who subvocalizes "Fresh meat..." when I see migrants?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:52:02 am »

Am I the only one who is compassionate and kind of caring?

...I guess.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:57:05 am »

I let them in, although most get one of these three:

A. An important job
B. Drafted into the mason's guild (masonry, stone detailing, architecture, and mechanics)
C. Drafted into the military

As you may guess, B and C are the most common.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:15 am »

You forgot hauling. I never have enough haulers.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:22 am »

I usually have 30+ idlers. In an 80 dwarf fort. I have too many haulers.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:22:50 am »

You forgot hauling. I never have enough haulers.
I recently began using th custom professions in Dwarf Therapist (so gooood) and I now assign all useless migrants to the ranks of the haulers. If they're lucky, and fortunate enough to have the capricious whims of the overseer turn a beneficent gaze upon them, they may end up in another job long enough to become permanently established within it. If not, back to the hauler pool they'll go.

Haulers are my post-siege cleanup crew, and I could care less about them. If they survive, great. If not, I have slabs and lots more where those came from.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:07 am »

There is always more demand for interchangeable drones in my industry-oriented forts. The clear glass industry cannot operate without a large number of otherwise meaningless dwarves chopping, hauling and processing wood. The textile industry is similarly labour intensive. Brewing is also a drone job off 9 stills. My top artisans probably each need some 10~20 dwarves attending to their needs when they're in full swing.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:12 am »

I liked migrants in 40d more. they came once in a season and when fortress was wealthy enough.
Now they come as they please and even they have reduced amount of peasants radically, they are still useless and i cant be bothered with all the micromanagement that is necessary.
Pages: [1] 2