Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "-Some- migrants have arrived"  (Read 2215 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: "-Some- migrants have arrived"
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:16:21 pm »

I usually sort migrants into three groups:

1) Rare ones that have "High Master" or better skill: let them do their thing.
2) Some fighting skill: they go into one of three squads - hammers, bows or wrestlers.
3) All-rounders or peasants: drafted as Masons, Engravers or Miners.

I only wish there were more randomness in jobs. I can see maybe if the game were compensating for industries a fortress doesn't have yet, but that's obviously not going on when 90% of your migrants are Wax Workers, Fish Dissectors and Lye Makers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:23:16 pm by bucket »

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »

My migrants all go into one large pool. Whoever survives long enough for a dwarf to reach the lever to let the water out gets to live in the fortress. For about a day. Then, it's off to training and goblin fighting.
While I do have a use for bee-keepers (my major export for now, and my dwarves love dog meat/honey/plump helmet stew), all the others (I'm talking to you Mr. Lye Maker, Mr. Wood Crafter) get to either die or serve.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:51:24 pm »

Animal Trainers.  Why do I always have like 15 Master Animal Trainers wandering around the fort.  Y'know where those go?  Military.  Enjoy!
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »

If you're bothered by migrants, designate a "department of integration" burrow, and use it as a sort of proving ground to see if any migrants deserve to stay in your fort. Everyone else left behind are dropped down the pit the burrow is assigned above (drawbridge required). Alternatively, you can also setup a sort of danger room setup with 1 exit, and you'll have some trained migrants upon exit, or some new floor decor for a nearby pit.

You can say it's an obstacle course to prove your migrants' worth.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »

Am I the only one who is compassionate and kind of caring?

...I guess.

No, you aren't the only one. I play it 'straight', meaning i imagine it to be a real, living group of beings establishing a fort, behaving more or less normally, and occasionally horrible things happen.  Just how i like to do it.

Migrants either get sent to fish/process fish, do additional brewing/mining/engraving/hauling, or put into the military.  My most epic wrestler killed 9 orcs by himself; when he arrived, he was just Random Peasant # 12.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »

I used to care for my migrants, but I don't really care about them anymore. I don't kill or torture them either, I adopted a "bureaucratic" approach. After initial "oh no, not more of those" I reassign labors in Dwarf Therapist, assign them to squads, and go back to designating work to be done. If there are any free rooms left they are free to choose their own. If not, they can sleep in dormitory, barracks, or hospital. I generally have more food than I know what to do with, and alcohol is usually not a problem either. It is just that any Dwarfs above 60 are a headache, and above 120 a burden to manage.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »

The 2nd spring migrants are welcome, they haul all of the wood underground (clearcut forests FTW).  The 2nd summer migrants become military, miners, or masons/general haulers.  With a popcap of 50, I usually don't get immigrants after the 2nd summer.  I'm more concerned about the large, grazer, pets than the immigrants themselves.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:57 pm »

I suddenly had an idea for a giant cage, in which I would put a flock (about 6 or 7) of untamed Giant Eagles. I have a bunch sitting in my stockpiles, never really got around to taming them so they started breeding, and now I can finally have a use for them! Ooooh, just the thought of a bunch of giant birds lifting off those pesky migrants, only to eat them and/or drop them. Maybe THEN I would get the long awaited message of 'No Migrants'. I've worked hard enough for it, I should be rewarded with it!
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »

No, you aren't the only one. I play it 'straight', meaning i imagine it to be a real, living group of beings establishing a fort, behaving more or less normally, and occasionally horrible things happen.  Just how I like to do it.
Same here. It does help that almost every profession in the game is now useful for something, however, even if you don't need it very often. Woodcrafters? Great, I can save that heap of bones for crafts to trade for wood, cloth and booze from the next elven caravan. Glassmakers when I've got no sand? Oh well, wouldn't have been my first choice but I can always use more bags anyway. Potash, lye and soap makers? Fewer barrels of fat and more barrels of beer in the stockpile can only be a good thing. The only professions I really struggle to make use of are fish and animal dissectors, but I can always use more butchers and fish cleaners and like to imagine there's some skills overlap.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 07:10:07 pm »

... an unmarked coffin that sits in the burning sunlight forever.
Great plan, except that you can only build coffins indoors. Slabs, maybe?
Usually, I do what Jake does: let them do their thing when it comes up. If I feel extra-threatened, I'll draft a couple.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »

... an unmarked coffin that sits in the burning sunlight forever.
Great plan, except that you can only build coffins indoors. Slabs, maybe?
Usually, I do what Jake does: let them do their thing when it comes up. If I feel extra-threatened, I'll draft a couple.

Build stairs.
Build floor.
Build coffin.
Remove floor.
Done.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: 1 [2]