Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!  (Read 18058 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »

There are chronobombs, although I have yet to see them and don't know what they do.
I've already seen them and they send all units in a certain radius 30 seconds into the future. It's not as overpowered as it sounds. Most of the time, you probably won't even notice which is a shame. The Grekim Reaph can fire them and it requires the upgrades "Weapons" and "Chronoporting".
In theory you could use it to abort an opponent's chronoport, but yeah 30 seconds is pretty short.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:25 pm »

Its been nearly half a year, and I finely got Achron.

I was expecting somewhat-bad UI and a terrible campaign, but I got the opposite.

Yes, sometimes the UI can be infuriating, but once you learn all its nicks, its actually pretty sweet, considering what they have to portray.

The campaign matches the gameplay, completely confusing and leaving you in the dark, slowly revealing plot elements. Its actually better than most campaigns I've played, in my opinion.

There's also a demo now, so you can 'try it before you buy it'.

I may organize some B12 games. Though those usually get drowned in the lack of interest.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45:07 pm »

I finished the human campaign.  Got a couple of maps into the next race, but there seems to always be That One Map that frustrates and infuriates you, because while it's possible it requires HUGE amounts of optimization and not overestimating the kinds of forces you'll go up against, as you don't have the time to overbuild.

The human map one is all about setting up teleporters to get across the map and defend a building by the 20 minute mark.  It's doable, key point: you don't need that many units.  If you don't have a network set up by 12 minutes* and have started transporting guys by 15,* start over.  You HAVE to cut it close, repeatedly.  Doing that much isn't enough.  Once you have the first wave, go back in time almost as far as you can, queue up some units, micro the future battle, go back to the present, teleport newly built units to the front lines.  Repeat.

I was constantly using the same 3 minute window to do things I didn't have time for 3 minutes ago.  I'd go back in time to build units, go to the future to micro a battle, then head back into the past again when my units got constructed, and transport them to the front lines (where they'd participate in the battle I spent time micro'ing).  I was hopping all over the time line to save a unit, get the extra kill, or get units to the battle field.  It was 20 "my minutes" of non-stop panic.

I'm at That Map in the second campaign, and haven't attempted it in months.

*Numbers kind of made up based on what I remember.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2011, 12:15:31 am »

I finished the human campaign.  Got a couple of maps into the next race, but there seems to always be That One Map that frustrates and infuriates you, because while it's possible it requires HUGE amounts of optimization and not overestimating the kinds of forces you'll go up against, as you don't have the time to overbuild.

The human map one is all about setting up teleporters to get across the map and defend a building by the 20 minute mark.  It's doable, key point: you don't need that many units.  If you don't have a network set up by 12 minutes* and have started transporting guys by 15,* start over.  You HAVE to cut it close, repeatedly.  Doing that much isn't enough.  Once you have the first wave, go back in time almost as far as you can, queue up some units, micro the future battle, go back to the present, teleport newly built units to the front lines.  Repeat.

I was constantly using the same 3 minute window to do things I didn't have time for 3 minutes ago.  I'd go back in time to build units, go to the future to micro a battle, then head back into the past again when my units got constructed, and transport them to the front lines (where they'd participate in the battle I spent time micro'ing).  I was hopping all over the time line to save a unit, get the extra kill, or get units to the battle field.  It was 20 "my minutes" of non-stop panic.

I'm at That Map in the second campaign, and haven't attempted it in months.

*Numbers kind of made up based on what I remember.

Huh. I remember that map. I didn't have trouble at all. Maybe its because I spam infantry when I'm the human race. Cheap, reliable.

Also, I'm about 1/2 through the 2nd campaign, and if I've already beaten 'that map' you're talking about, I could give some tips.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »

Huh. I remember that map. I didn't have trouble at all. Maybe its because I spam infantry when I'm the human race. Cheap, reliable.

Heh.

Also, I'm about 1/2 through the 2nd campaign, and if I've already beaten 'that map' you're talking about, I could give some tips.

It's the one with the time limit right when you ally with the humans.  I'm pretty sure I know HOW to beat it at this point, it's just DOING it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

So why aren't we playing this?

Let's organize a big Bay 12 Time Orgy game sometime(s).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »

Man, I still haven't even managed to beat the first campaign. This game is hard.

But I could probably get back into it if I had some people to play against, yeah.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »

Man, I still haven't even managed to beat the first campaign. This game is hard.

But I could probably get back into it if I had some people to play against, yeah.

Which mission you stuck on?

So why aren't we playing this?

Let's organize a big Bay 12 Time Orgy game sometime(s).

I'd be up for that.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:55:46 pm by MC Dirty »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »

I think multiplayer will be more sane. I haven't played since I messed with the beta a while back, myself.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2012, 03:39:44 pm »

If anyone wants to play a game, I'm available. Unfortunately I can't host.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »

Which mission you stuck on?

Mission 8, though I'm going to go give that another shot right now.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »

I can't even start a LAN game due to my lag. Who would have known?

Either way, I wouldn't be able to participate in any tournament.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »

I think multiplayer will be more sane. I haven't played since I messed with the beta a while back, myself.

I got a couple unconvincing games. I really don't like maps with finite resources.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

Finite resources? What the hell where you doing?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11