Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel RTS - Demo out!  (Read 18053 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: Achron: Time Travel RTS
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »

if those units did some damage before dissapearing, the damage undo itself too ?

edit:

In this game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGJRbjEt9Y&feature=channel_video_title

why after like 10 minutes, the "present" mark stays almost at the end of the bar? should it stay at the center, so we have equal time frame to the past and to the future ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:15:19 pm by Krelian »

Sneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 05:14:33 pm »

Yup, they never shot.
You can watch the units fire at the enemy in front of the timewave. Then you jump back before the timewave and the units are not there and never fires at them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:16:36 pm by Sneer »
Take a knife to a gunfight and stab your opponents while they laugh.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »

Makes me wonder how the game handles win conditions. If you killed your opponent's last unit with an unstable unit, would you still win? Sounds like the sort of thing that'd get in for the release and then get patched out...

Sneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »

why after like 10 minutes, the "present" mark stays almost at the end of the bar? should it stay at the center, so we have equal time frame to the past and to the future ?

The configuration is like that.
In the beginning of the game it is only present and 7 minutes in the future that is visible on the timeline. When time goes by the timeline fills up to the left of the present mark until you can see one minute in the future and 7 minutes in the past.
Above the timeline is the players chrono energy. It is a currency the player uses to give orders in the past or future. The part of the timeline that has white stripes is the part of the past that uses so much chrono energy that it is impossible to act. It is called the unplayable past. It covers the first half of the timeline.
The closer to the middle you act, the more expensive your actions. You can not give orders to your units in the unplayable past, but you can send units there with chronoporters. If i am not mistaken.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 06:15:48 pm »

what if Im attacked, they destroy my barrack, then I rebuild it (on the same place), then the enemy decides to change time and he never attacked... when the time wave arrives, and my ex barrack comes back, what happens to the new barrack on the same spot ?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »

what if Im attacked, they destroy my barrack, then I rebuild it (on the same place), then the enemy decides to change time and he never attacked... when the time wave arrives, and my ex barrack comes back, what happens to the new barrack on the same spot ?

I suspect that you got masterfully played, and your buildings chronofrag each other.  Or maybe just one of them dies.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »

You will never have been able to build the second barack, meaning the construction order will be undone once the time-wave passes the point where you ordered it, so you get your cash back.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 06:54:28 pm »

My head hurts...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »

Nah, not as far as that I think. At the very least, the timetravel window is about 5 minutes long. Not because of engine limits, mind you - it's theoretically capable of weeks. It's just the current hardware. A single action replay of a typical RTS game would already be quite a resource hog - now imagine five of them running concurrently, and being constantly edited.
You actualy can. Watch this game. Red starts scouting as one race, then jumps back and changes races.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »

Makes me wonder how the game handles win conditions. If you killed your opponent's last unit with an unstable unit, would you still win? Sounds like the sort of thing that'd get in for the release and then get patched out...

I believe that the win condition is when you wipe all of your opponent's units at any point on the timeline...I suspect that prevents the situation you mention.

I've had my eye on this game a while...seems to have enormous potential, but I'm waiting to see if they polish it up some more.

KG

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Achron: Time Travel MTS
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »

It is indeed a fun game, would be nice to play a multiplayer game with some Bay12ers.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 01:00:40 am »

I believe that the win condition is when you wipe all of your opponent's units at any point on the timeline...I suspect that prevents the situation you mention.

I've had my eye on this game a while...seems to have enormous potential, but I'm waiting to see if they polish it up some more.

KG

You lose when your base and units get destroyed at any point in time and you cannot prevent it. Maybe you send all your units to the enemy base and they get destroyed and then the enemy attacks your base and it gets destroyed. If you can cancel the order that sends your units to the enemy base you can prevent yourself from losing.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »

KG

You lose when your base and units get destroyed at any point in time and you cannot prevent it. Maybe you send all your units to the enemy base and they get destroyed and then the enemy attacks your base and it gets destroyed. If you can cancel the order that sends your units to the enemy base you can prevent yourself from losing.

Ooh, that's complicated...I wonder how it does determine what's "preventable" then.

KG

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:40 pm »

Simple definition - anything that passes beyond the active timeline is not preventable. So, as long as you still have a base that isn't inevitably destroyed, you're in the game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »

In this game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGJRbjEt9Y&feature=channel_video_title

That is map-dependent, though what you see is roughly the default settings (that map-maker tends to play around with those settings). We've tried a map with more time given to the future, and that didn't see a lot of use of the future, Since actions in the present and future don't cost chronoenergy, one might as well play at the present unless they really want to manage actions across the timeline. However, as I mentioned it wouldn't balance the incentive to undo the earliest point in time, which chronoenergy, and thus a large past, does.

The unit that built the second barracks would walk up to where the first one is (once again), say "I can't build here, something in the way" (roughly) and then sit there, unless you had told it to do something else after building. In which case, it will continue to carry out those orders. The only downside is that any units built from that second barracks are not built, so you will need to re-order them from the existing first barracks, unless you had been managing the whole timeline and had given the first barracks those orders (in the relative future) before it was originally destroyed (in the relative past, thus undoing the build orders).

That is one of them. The other one, which most maps use, is that you lose when you have no military units or buildings capable of producing such units at the left-most point on the timeilne, as that will overwrite any events following it. You win when all opponents have lost this way.

However, most players just surrender when they know they have lost.

What I feel the game lacks, other then having maybe TOO much rock paper scissor gameplay, is a lack of epicness in many ways outside of time travel.

Though from what I am aware they know and don't care.

The art isn't great, unfortunately, but that is more a budget concern than anything. Also, RPS gameplay is not an issue, and in fact is the opposite of the issue some people have: which is that counters sometimes seem too soft, and unit roles can be hard to pin down. As for epicness, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Yes, time travel steals the show, but even as an RTS the game provides great variety in races, units, and tactics, like any good RTS game. That being said, most players are still pretty new, so that may not come out as much in any VODs right now.

I think that covers the main concerns anyway. I should point out that my videos are targeted towards people with some knowledge of the game. I do explain from time to time basics such as what certain units do or how some timewaves may change things, but for the most part I assume that people have at least seen the Hazardous Software intro videos.

Oh yeah, and for anyone who thinks their head will explode: that's normal. Just tattoo your name on as many parts of your head and brain as possible. That way it will be easier to put it back together afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:14:08 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11