Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you sigh in relief...  (Read 1879 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you sigh in relief...
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:36:58 pm »

...when you load the forum and see that the latest version is still .25? :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Do you sigh in relief...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »

No why?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »

Waiting for things to get settled down until I start playing the new version. Since my forts are all long term things I prefer to start a fort in a stable version.

So probably 31.26 or 31.27 will be when I start up a big fort with the new version. I already have some very grand ideas. It will take 100+ miners and masons decades of toil to produce a masterwork urban citadel-fortress.

Dialock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »

Waiting for things to get settled down until I start playing the new version. Since my forts are all long term things I prefer to start a fort in a stable version.

So probably 31.26 or 31.27 will be when I start up a big fort with the new version. I already have some very grand ideas. It will take 100+ miners and masons decades of toil to produce a masterwork urban citadel-fortress.

*Shrug*  Really?  What is it with you people?  The game is stable as is for an A L P H A.  Are you the type that waits a year or two before buying a major release game?  You know, since a heavy majority are released with bugs and not exactly stable. 

Here's an idea!  Play the game the way you want.  If a patch is released, determine if updating will make you happy, keep playing the older version.  When you notice a bug or glitch write it down and log it on Mantis.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:10 pm »

I do check Mantis, and I have also tinkered with the new releases. I'm just waiting for the bugfix phase to get settled down. :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:42:40 pm »

The truth is that this version is the most stable you will get for some time. The next version will have new features and new bugs too, and will take a while until it is released. And the chances are there won't be a 31.26 or 31.27, next version will be 32.01 most probably.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

I check back on an hourly basis. :D  Just waiting to see when he concludes the bugfixing phase and goes back into working on a new content arc.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »

There's nothing new on the bug tracker changelog, which means he hasn't fixed any bugs for the next release since the 28th. A quickfix would probably be more urgent than that, so I think it's safe to say the next release is going to be a feature release and it's safe to start a new fortress.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »

The truth is that this version is the most stable you will get for some time. The next version will have new features and new bugs too, and will take a while until it is released. And the chances are there won't be a 31.26 or 31.27, next version will be 32.01 most probably.
Frankly, I'd rather he rethinks this version numbering system.
I'm pretty sure we should already be past 31.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

I check back on an hourly basis. :D  Just waiting to see when he concludes the bugfixing phase and goes back into working on a new content arc.

There isn't much need to do it hourly - he tends to post these things at about the same time of day every time, and then announces he'll be going to bed about an hour afterwards, after looking at the initial response. 

It depends on your time zone, obviously, but the pattern is pretty strong in the release threads.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:32 am »

I thought this topic would be: Do you sigh in relief when the game finishes saving your game after a season and it doesn't crash?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:43:59 am »

The numbering is based on what core goals are completed. He has completed 31 so the number is 31. It used to also include bloats and powergoals and all that too, which is why the number used to be longer. But now it's just number of core goals complete and number release since that number increased.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:19 am »

There was a post by Toady some time ago where he mentioned that they have done that, and that the number also really should be on 0.32 or 0.33 already. I'm unable to find the post itself, but it's mentioned in other places like this. I'm pretty sure the post itself contained something like "Zach and I sat down to discuss the numbering system..." but I can't seem to find it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:02 am »

I sigh a relief when there is a significant break in versions because i'd decided awhile back to donate 2-5$ every version release. Also, modders and utility builders can have a chance to catch up and allow for new releases of the LNP, which means captnduck will release more tutorials(though in the end he gave up waiting and LNP came out the next day!) and those tutorials can go a long way for helping a new player understand how to play the game without rage quitting after 10-20 minutes of frustration and confusion.

Plus now it means, new features are in the wings, i've enjoyed the new castles and economy, so will be awesome to see that part of the game mature some more. Utility builders can also focus on improvements rather than version compatability updates now also.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:08 am »

There was a post by Toady some time ago where he mentioned that they have done that, and that the number also really should be on 0.32 or 0.33 already. I'm unable to find the post itself, but it's mentioned in other places like this. I'm pretty sure the post itself contained something like "Zach and I sat down to discuss the numbering system..." but I can't seem to find it.

There was this...

...but on the subject of version numbering, 0.31 referred at the time to 31 of the specific dev 100 core items being finished.  Then we changed dev systems and the version number was on hold for a while.  Now it refers to being 0% complete done with a new list that counts for 0.69 of the version number, but the new slightly unsettled list pretty much corresponds to the old core items, so it's not much of a change.

Which, in turn, means that it doesn't necessarily mean that a "core feature" necessarily correlates to an incriment in version number anymore, anyway.  It's just .31 + ____ persixtynine of the total remaining things Toady wants to do. 

Basically, it's all a completely arbitrary measurement of how far Toady thinks he's progressed (and that's all it really even should be).  If Toady decides to add to or subtract portions of the game on before he feels it's "1.0", then the rate at which the version number goes up is hastened or slowed by that amount. 

There's no point putting too much thought into a version number - it's not like declaring something .33 would make the game actually have more features than if it were declared .31.  Talking about what you can do with a tavern or a caravan or the things you will be able to do in Adventure Mode is more exciting and fruitful than talking about if a number is going to incriment.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2