Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War with the Elves, Worldgen  (Read 1668 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
War with the Elves, Worldgen
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:30 am »

So I'm trying to generate a world in which every civilization isn't automatically at war with cannibalistic elves.  I gave them back their diplomats, and made eating fallen enemies "Misguided" instead of "Acceptable".  What else should I change so that people still go to war with the elves, but not every single person until they've pissed off the whole world?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: War with the Elves, Worldgen
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:20:25 am »

You mena your Elfs are almost always at war with your Dwarves? What did you change to make that happen? I almost never am at war with the Elfs.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:23:26 am »

Not so much.  I added the diplomats back in so it would be easier for them to go to war.  The problem is that by default, even without the diplomat, it seems that every race (dwarf, ezrakim, human, and drow) that I've modded in wants to fight the elves.  When checking in legends, it shows that the reasons were always about the "treatment of the dead" or some such.

No, they're never at war in my fortress mode tho... cause they get killed off and pushed back until they're just a few civs left on an island somewhere.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:09:19 pm »

Well, ethics are a cumulative thing - every area of agreement on ethics gives you a positive relations modifier, and every area of disagreement beyond a couple of notches on the ethics meter results in a negative relations modifier.

Typically, eating of the dead and lying (a serious offense in elven ethics) spark most wars in vanilla, but if you've done some other changes to ethics, then maybe you've knocked some other ethics out of alignment, as well, and they contribute to elven ethics being so radically different that all the other civs simply can't coexist with elves.

Wiki page: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Ethics

the 2010 wiki page has basically the same chart, but it's easier to read on the 40d page. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare