Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invincible Blizzard Man  (Read 1215 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invincible Blizzard Man
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:28:59 am »

I've got 130 pages of combat with my 8 military of axe and hammer dwarves vs a now unconscious blizzardman.  They've got silver hammers, couple of copper axes and a steel axe so they should be able to kill him I think.  But they're not.  Hammers are just bruising the muscles, axes are tearing the muscles, dirty wooden shields are glancing off.  They also missed a goblin snatcher steal an unconscious child 6 feet away, but who cares. The blizzard man's description is now at about 60 pages too, everything is broken and he is a massive scar ball.

Has anyone else had this happen, just wondering if the old non-organic enemies are invincible bug is back.  Or maybe my military just suck. :<  I was managing to kill them earlier on a pre 31.25 version but I moved the save across so maybe something bugged doing that.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: Invincible Blizzard Man
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:05 am »

Yeh, I've just read up on the wiki that trying to kill it with blunt force is rather pointless. The axes might help a little though, with a bit of luck.

I've once had 10 unarmored, unarmed and untrained dwarves pummel a troll unconscious for many days. The combat log was about 109 pages long. Since the trapped dwarves were already dehydrating I drafted my miners and they finished it rather quickly.

I'd say go for good swords... but due to the lack of time... I dunno :I
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:53:23 am »

I've had this happen even with organic creatures (Once had a titan beat an immortal child), try telling your dwarves to stop trying to kill it, then see if it will subcomb to its injuries. This has worked on occasion with some creatures. If that fails try attacking again. In older versions at least this would sometimes kill immortal creatures.

Beyond that there's the traditional magma/obsidian/cave in/ice(would that even work on a blizzard man?) methods.

Or check and see if the blizzard man has the brain tag in its raws and try deleting its brain to make it suffocate.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:09:56 am »

They are by the way ideal archery targets when caught alive.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:43 am »

Your solution: POUR MAGMA ON IT

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:10:25 am »

I can confirm that icing will kill even a Blizzard man, but it'd be awfully tough to set up with the target already unconscious.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:17:24 am »

Stop asking "How do I kill this?" and start asking "How do I use this?". Perfect training dummies, I tell you.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:45 am »

I like to point out that archers and spears do both piercing and blunt damage. So, if pure blunt or cutting power doesn't do it, those might.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

I had an encounter with a blizzard man early in my current fortress. I drafted all 7 dwarfs and they punched him for ages. He killed two dwarfs, but he eventually was decapitated by one of my miners.

Catching one to shoot at would be super useful. I'm gonna have to start using cage traps.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:56 pm »

I'm curious how all their unarmed skills leveled up during these endless pummelings. Were they all legendary martial artists and wrestlers by the end?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:13 pm »

Stop asking "How do I kill this?" and start asking "How do I use this?". Perfect training dummies, I tell you.
Yes it is working well, all my recruits and wrestlers are now axe and hammer dwarves.  Just worried they are going to fall over dead from exertion soon, some have tried to head back to the fort for a beer but turn into civilians and keep getting scared off by the unconscious blizzard man.  Odd as the squads are both set to active.

What's really odd thinking about it is one of my original dwarves had a copper axe and average axe skills and was managing to solo kill blizzard men to begin with, but now he's got a steel axe thanks to an immigrant woodcutter he can't kill them even with 7 mates.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »

This.

You can use this to have legendaries in no time at all.

Just make sure you rotate out the squads. Don't have 10/10 on duty at all time. Maybe only have 7/10 on duty.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »

I always seem to get an immediate spawn of a Blizzard Man once I kill one of them. I'm on a Haunted Freezing Tundra.

As the previous posters mentioned, they make great bolt targets, though they occasionally kill one of my civilian dwarves tasked to retrieve those masterpiece shoes off of my previous dwarves' corpses.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:36 am »

I always seem to get an immediate spawn of a Blizzard Man once I kill one of them. I'm on a Haunted Freezing Tundra.

As the previous posters mentioned, they make great bolt targets, though they occasionally kill one of my civilian dwarves tasked to retrieve those masterpiece shoes off of my previous dwarves' corpses.
The idea is to capture them with cage traps first and then place them in a room specifically designed for training.