Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where is the bituminous Coal  (Read 4719 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the bituminous Coal
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »

Just build a tree farm. Dig out an entire Z level, flood it, and then harvest the unlimited supply of lumber and underground crops (just to ensure they don't crowd out the trees).

Then feed the piles and piles of lumber into wood furnaces.

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 02:45:30 am »

The trees don't grow back instantly as far as I know, actually not sure how fast they do.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29:51 am »

The trees don't grow back instantly as far as I know, actually not sure how fast they do.

It takes about a year for them to grow back, but if you have an entire Z level as a tree farm wood will never be in short supply.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:21 pm »

For a full-blown crafting operation (as in, more than just outfitting your fort) you need probably 40x40 tiles of underground forest, at least. I've tried underground forests several times and my needs always outstrip what I thought was a good amount of forest space.

Plus, with the caverns, there's a lot less reason to build underground forests. You can just find the cavern, and wall off a huge section of it for your own personal, protected use. Basically the same thing without the pain of digging and doing a controlled flood.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]