Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where is the bituminous Coal  (Read 4724 times)

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where is the bituminous Coal
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:31:19 am »

The question is in the topic. I genned many new worlds and many many embarks. I always prospect with dfprospect and I usually have loads of gold and silver (9 out of 10 times) but I have never ever found vutiminous coal. Even when digging down.

Now coal should be a lot more readily available than gold? Or is it not? I have never met with it!

(yes I do know about the tree to charcoal and magma forges)

W

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the bituminous Coal
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:53:08 am »

It's a mineral, and minerals are randomly picked for the map. If it's not there, well, tough. I do have some of it on my current map (well, had...woooooh, 152 bars of coke!), so it does occur.

Start chopping down trees, mate.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:03 am »

I'm not sure if raising the mineral params during world gen will do anything, but Coal is tough to come by in the current versions. Annoyingly enough.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:49 am »

If you have assloads of silver and gold and no coal you might be embarking on igneous (aka made by cooling lava) stone layers.

You'll never find coal in here.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:22 am »

I always mod in Anthracite (4 coke) and Impure Coal (1 coke) in (both in Metaporphic Layer) and also remove the [FUEL] tag from coal reactions to ensure I have enough coal...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »

Mineral scarcity affects everything that can be of use to you when dug up: gems, metal ores, the less common (but still mundane) stones and coal.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »

As luck would have it, I struck bands of limonite encrusting the entire map, with vast pockets of lignite and bituminous coal dotted around it. What version are you using? Surely not that infernal .21 or .20 version with a lack of iron and dooms day pillars reaching out from all over the place.

In any case, If you don't have any coal in the ground, why not just trade for the coal you need from the dwarven caravans? Up the maximum load the beasts of burden can carry if need be. But be sure to request coal in block form due to the weight problem. As for ordering coal right from the get go, I'm not to sure about the weight to fuel ratio ordering it straight instead of prefired coal blocks, but I'm pretty sure at 4 to one, that coal blocks win out overall.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

You can't use coal blocks for fuel or to make coke, so don't order those.  Order bit. coal and lignite on the stone menu, charcoal and coke on the misc. menu.  And wood.  Use your wood to make beds, bins, and charcoal.  Make rock pots with a stonecrafter and rock furniture with a mason.  Dig deep for magma, and start making gold & silver bins.

Or gen a new world with scarcity set to "everywhere".

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

With the new scarcity, when it says "Deep Metal" "Shallow Metal", it literally means one metal type per strata. So the same applies to the other resources. Up the scarcity on the next world gen, and as someone said, look for sedimentary strata.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

Oh yea my current and last current of embark sites had zero coal and zero lignite, so my options are limited to smeltering right now. I can't get down to magma, keep running into caverns. Eventually I am gonna try the walled up shaft but trying to get me my big fortress finished first.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:56:50 pm »

If you don't alter the mineral scarcity setting coal will be extremely rare. Even if you do, it'll still be fairly uncommon because it only appears in sedimentary layers and sedimentary layers aren't terribly common; the only appear on about half of the total biomes in a map and even then only as the topmost layer. And with the latest change where you can't even tell what TYPE of stone you're embarking on, yeah, it's a complete crapshoot.

Sedimentary stone should be more common, sedimentary stone should be able to make up more than just the topmost layer (potentially going as far down as 4 layers deep, if you ask me), coal should be far more common within sedimentary stone (as well as occasionally showing up in metamorphic stone), and we should be able to tell at least what the topmost layer stone is when embarking. At least. Being able to tell what is all the way down at the magma sea is understandably unrealistic, but when all it takes is digging 10 feet down to see what kind of bedrock you're standing on I should expect this is standard procedure for a race that lives entirely underground.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:00:05 pm by Khift »

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

I always mod in Anthracite (4 coke) and Impure Coal (1 coke) in (both in Metaporphic Layer) and also remove the [FUEL] tag from coal reactions to ensure I have enough coal...

How do you do this? Is it on a pre-gen basis or embark basis?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

How do you do this? Is it on a pre-gen basis or embark basis?

I'd assume it's done pre-gen.  You can also change the reaction for bituminous coal to use some other stone.
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GRANITE], for example.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »

You can't use coal blocks for fuel or to make coke, so don't order those.

Drats.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:36 pm »

In the worlds I've genned with mineral scarcity set to the right of "scarce", I find a LOT of coal. And it is in the same layer as lignite. In fact, I find multiple metals where it just says "shallow metal" and "deep metal". So it is possible to have mutliple metals at more common metal scarities and still only have it report "1" being present.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2