Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood: I need BODY PARTS!  (Read 1496 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood: I need BODY PARTS!
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:30:29 am »

It's a "Fey" mood, not a Macabre, and the little kid is asking for body parts.  The wiki says Bones, Skull, Horn, or Ivory.  I have just butchered some cats and a yak, so I have bones, skulls,and horns...and NO IVORY.  Is there a way to generate Ivory other than elephants (of which I have exactly zero on my map)?  I believe I am DOOOMED, this punk kid (Dwarven Child who has taken over my craftsdwarf shop) is gonna go berzerk and start a tantrum spiral, I JUST KNOW IT.

Of course, it might help if I start mining metal and make armor and weapons, but all I got is copper right now!  Maybe I should dig down to the magma, build a pumpstack (or piston) and start mining copper.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood: I need BODY PARTS!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

Butcher some more large animals. I had a dwarf that needed two donkeys butchered for a artifact thong. Scary to thing of the dwarf gal, who would wear it
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:04 am »

I've been able to use troll tusks as ivory, I think it's only 'produced' by slicing them off in combat though, you can't butcher them.  Walruses also provide ivory, again that's pretty rare though.  You could just try butchering more stuff, each item of bone the moody dwarf needs is one stack of bones, not a single bone, but it sounds like you'd have that covered after killing a few cats plus a yak.  It's worth looking at the dwarf's likes as well, sometimes they want a specific type of item, ie only a bronze bar when they ask for a metal bar.

If you're completely stumped just wall the workshop off, the dwarf will be trapped in there when he beserks and starve to death.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

Creatures that give ivory in unmodded DF:

Walrus
Hippo
Elephant
Warthog
Crundle
Gorlak
Troll

Crundles, Gorlaks, and Trolls can't be butchered by unmodded dwarves.

You could always mod say, hooves, to count as ivory if you don't care about that sort of thing.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:56:45 am »

Crundles can definitely be butchered in vanilla, I've never noticed them leaving tusks though.

You could mod one of your creatures to have ivory, the shell page below explains it simply enough that even I managed to do it in the early days of 31.xx when every single mood seemed to need shell and it was incredibly difficult to procure.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shell

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:21:01 am »

Crundles can definitely be butchered in vanilla DF, I had a thriving crundle farm a few versions back.  I don't recall ever getting ivory from them - I suspect they're too small for the ivory-bearing body part to leave anything.

"I need body parts" can also refer to shells.  Does the OP have any shell around?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »

I don't know if I have shell.  I'll take a look tonight.  May be too late, the dwarf has been moody for almost a full season.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:20:38 pm »

Just checked the raws, ivory means he's looking for teeth.  Creatures need to be very large to produce teeth, and then it's only 1 tooth.  If you want to tweak the raws, open material_template_default.txt and add [TOOTH] to either the bone or nail template.  You'll need to butcher another animal after changing the raws, if you do this.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:05 pm »

Just surround the workshop with cage traps and let him go crazy.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.