Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged wild animals  (Read 326 times)

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged wild animals
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:23 pm »

I've got about a dozen captured rhesus macaques that have blundered straight into my cage traps. I want them dead, and I've got several ways I could think of doing it, but I need to know one crucial thing: will they just escape as soon as my dwarves try to move them from the cage? Seems pointless to try and move them to another cage or pit or something if they're just going to escape.

I don't want to just slaughter them right inside my fort, that's messy and I'd rather get some use out of them by pitting them in a target range. Is there a way to get them where I want without them running wild over my fortress?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caged wild animals
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:40 am »

Build cage(s). Link to lever. Seal off area with cages. Pull lever.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caged wild animals
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

Build cage(s). Link to lever. Seal off area with cages. Pull lever.
Build cages. Surround cages with weapon traps (or line the exit corridor with weapon traps).  Link cages to lever. Pull lever.  Make monkey sausages.

I would say that your odds of pitting them, such that they will fall down the pit to their death is about 50-50 odds.  A lot of the wild animals have good odds of escaping, even if the pit zone is right next to the cage in the animal stockpile.