Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Sword of the Stars!  (Read 5187 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Sword of the Stars!
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »

So, initial disclaimer, this is my first time writing a let's play/community type game. This will also be my first actual game of Sword of the Stars, having just bought the game, and played around in it for an hour, I've decided why not do it this way, that way I can learn, and you can laugh at my mistakes.

So, to start, game setup:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any suggestions? The sliders are maxed just because I was messing with them, but I'll take feedback for everything. Also, what race are we going to play.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Sword of the Stars!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

Random Map, whatever size your comfortable with.   Lowest Economic and Research Efficiency. Random Opponents, Random race selected for you.

Man I need to play SoTS again one of these days, I always end up getting overwhelmed though, especially on 3D maps. >.>
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:15:20 am »

Hourglass map, play as Humans.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:59:33 am »

Zuul or Tarkas, ANYTHING but Morrigi or Hivers. If Tarkas, have fun with biological warfare. :D
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:23:30 am »

i would suggest to limit the stars to a maximum of 15 per empire. more systems will make the game more borring, especialy during the early and late game phase.
dont mess with the distance between the stars. it will have servere impact on the game balance (like: short distances boost hivers and harm liir, with long distances humans may end up without short enugh lanes to expand from the starting system and hivers will need ages to arrive at the next systems etc.)
i usualy allow for a initial treasury of 2 mios to allow the building some explorers and colonizers during the first turns. sometimes i use up to 5 initial technologys.
for the starmap, i prefer more 2d styled maps, like disks. just because its much less of a hazzle to play on them.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:51:11 am »

I like the Clusters map, and I like the humans.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:17:37 am »

I second the motion to go for 15 stars per empire in whatever system type you choose. Too many and the game will take forever, too little, and it gets suffocating.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:26 am »

Ok, I'm going to skip randoms when I can to go for the more specific requests, and work my way down. So.
Race: Human
Shape: Hourglass
Research and Economy: minimum (I assume this means longer games, which is cool with me)
Stars: 120 (15*8)
distance, size, resources: default
And just a question, for size, what does that actually do? I mean, distance between stars sounds like it'd do the same thing...

I'll get the game started tonight (at work atm).

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:40:31 am »

And just a question, for size, what does that actually do? I mean, distance between stars sounds like it'd do the same thing...
it will influence the average size of a single star, where distance will manipulate the average distance between to stars.

edith says:

turning off the randoms will also remove all of the awesome hidden fun stuffs from the game. also, morrigi are balanced to have randoms enabled.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:46:47 am by motorbitch »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:59 pm »

it will influence the average size of a single star, where distance will manipulate the average distance between to stars.

edith says:

turning off the randoms will also remove all of the awesome hidden fun stuffs from the game. also, morrigi are balanced to have randoms enabled.

As in the random encounters? I'm tempted to turn them up to the max! I love random stuff, but would that be a bit much? From the whispers I've heard (I'm trying not to spoil as much of the mysterys as possible) some of the random stuff is rather lethal.
On that note, I've noticed from browsing the human entries in the wiki that there is an inordinant amount of backstory not mentioned in game. Where does one find this, as it seems to be an interesting universe. Is it in the manual (haven't looked at it yet, odd for me), on websites, or are there books? All of the above?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »

that random stuff is pure dwarfish fun stuff.
well, some of them (most of the grand menaces) are. quite possible they kill the whole galaxy if you encounter them for the first time without a good counter tactic. of cause you'll loose in  this case, but you wont loose a boring game ;)
 problem with the morrigi is that they are balanced on some smaller, more common random encounters. so its probably best to leave them on 100% until you know what you are doing.

btw, i strongly suggest you pay a visit to the official forum.
kerberos has the best customer support  i ever seen form any develper, many devs and creatives are verry active, on the forum and in multiplayer games (yes, they actually still play their own game).
also, the comunity is verry good, and t.a.r (Tactics and Action Report) are always welcome.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:31:04 pm by motorbitch »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »

Oh, one more important thing before I play tonight, naming scheme for planets and ships. Any suggestions?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

only in singleplayer:
for ships, role-speed-range" (like armor-7-12). its kind of important to see that speed and range easily.
planet names don't rely matter

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »

Name all your ship classes after Uniques from Diablo 2. Steelclash, Azurewrath, Shadowfang and Arioc's Needle are the ones that spring to mind, but there's so many of them that checking out the Diablo Wiki would be a good idea.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 01:42:19 pm »

Name all your ship classes after Uniques from Diablo 2. Steelclash, Azurewrath, Shadowfang and Arioc's Needle are the ones that spring to mind, but there's so many of them that checking out the Diablo Wiki would be a good idea.

Done and done, I'll even research them a bit to make sure they're themeatically appropriate if possible.
First post should be up tonight, approx. 11 pm GMT -5.
Pages: [1] 2 3