Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealing with early Fun?  (Read 1234 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with early Fun?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »

I don't think they really work slower. They work at very decent speed for me.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »

I have to ask, if you don't farm, then what are your dwarves drinking?
Water. :)
Even the ELVES drink booze!! :o

For protection, build a grate on the edge of the river, a ring of floors around it, and a ring of walls around that.  Extend the walls to your fortress, or add stairs leading down to a tunnel.

An herbalist is a good option for getting plants early, no farming required.  Also, underground farms on soil don't need mud, they can be built right on the soil.  Above ground farms can be built on grass, but not tiles that have pebbles, shrubs, or saplings.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

Have one dwarf armed and armored. Even leather armor will protect you from most wildlife.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »

Sir, your story reads like  poem:

It's summer,
sun rays glitter on alligator teeth
splatters of blood everywhere
look! a corpse,
and another,
and another,
and another...
Our leader is dying in a bare room
we like to call hospital,
and the breeze brings a faint smell
from the sea.
Wonderful, dreamy, mysterious, playful
summer...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:23:57 pm by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

Okay, I embarked on a seemigly 'nice' area. Metal(lotsa), river(a river to me is very important, and I mean VERY, because I'm too lazy to farm, so fishermans ftw), and clay.

I just started preparing the fortress. Then I set my miners to mine, and I just saw an alligator trying to kill some moose men. Pools of blood are spattered everywhere. Then I remember of something, damn it the fisherman is fishing on the stream! I remove him of him's job, him is fine. But soon I think that alligator(s?) will run to my dwarves and they will scream in pain.

How to deal with these? Fish is my primary food source.

Well, at least I got free meat(these corpses weigh 170!11!!!1(too bad the wiki has no information on these things))

EDIT: Now its these badger boars killing my livestock :/... Heelp.
Wood => Cages, Stone => mechanisms and make cage traps + walls to protect your guys

Draft new miners, (and mechanics carpenter and masons if needed) and disable the labour on the injured miners, hopefully they'll unequip their picks for the temps to use, too long to wait for medical care.

Maybe wall off a fishing area (draft temporary masons too if you have none) and put a tunnel down a level or two. Once it's safe, connect the tunnel to main base. Meanwhile, wall off main base and put cage traps in the entrance tunnel, maybe 3 x 3 worth. Always create choke-points for traps (i.e. use walls), they're pretty useless spread about open ground.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:01:57 pm by Reelyanoob »

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

For protection, build a grate on the edge of the river, a ring of floors around it, and a ring of walls around that.  Extend the walls to your fortress, or add stairs leading down to a tunnel.

I've wondered for a while: do grates block fish?
Pages: 1 [2]