Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Construction bombing  (Read 1565 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Construction bombing
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »

Does it work? Like, when I build a bunch of walls supported only on a single floor tile... when I deconstruct the floor, then the walls should turn into a cave-in, right?

If not, then my zany scheme against the current goblin siege has failed...

Can I mod zinc to be viable for making bolts?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Construction bombing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:21 pm »

Even better, you could use floors instead of walls for a larger bomb:

+++++
 +++++
++++++
 +++++
 +++++

Or expand however much you want.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »

So even floors work, huh. That'll be useful.

I'm planning on making a square of floor, then, with a hole directly in the middle. I'll pit a puppy or something through it to attract goblins, then...

...I hope some dwarf won't be standing on the floor when deconstructing.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »

That's why you have the support tile on the left.

You'll probably lose the dwarf anyway due to the dust, but if you keep your dwarves busy it'll probably be a child deconstructing the floor.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »

...the floor is ten z-levels above ground, attached via a strip of floors to a tower I'm building. Does dust go that high?
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »

Dust is generated on every tile that either is caved in or has the cave-in go through it.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:17 pm »

Question relating to something that happened to me:

I was trying to make a trade depot with bridges on the side so i could seal off my fortress in case of sieges. I made some supports and set a large area 1 z-level up to be the new floor. When my masons started working there was suddenly about 10 cave ins right next to each other (stunning a dumbass woodworker who decided to finally finish the last support). Apparently the dwarves were building the floors, then the floors were immediately falling, causing the cave ins. My question is, when building floors, do the supports/walls underneath it need to be the perimeter?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:06:07 pm »

Bridges don't support constructions.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »

:/

Doesn't sound too good. I'll need some dwarf catchers... a wider than 1-tile-wide floor one z-level down from the floorbomb. So when the deconstructor falls to either side, he'll drop onto those... if he falls forward, then he's goblin bait.

One lasher squad, two swordgob squads, one macegob squad. The lasher squad has a War Leader, even...

EDIT: The project turned into a bridge into my fortress, which is thin, has no handrails, and is ten z-levels above ground. brb, mounting traps
goblins dodging giant green glass cockscrews off the floor will be a fun sight
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:38:28 pm by Minnakht »
A Kea has stolen a coke!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:46 pm »

The safest way to do what you're aiming for is to have a bunch of floor supported by a support that's linked to a lever, that way you wont have to risk any dwarf (unless you want to).

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »

Unless something has changed, glass is a bad thing to make trap components out of because they tend to do zero damage due to uninitialized stats.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 02:55:15 pm »

Something has changed.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

Well, I don't remember anything in the changelog about glass....

Anyway, a cave in made of constructed tiles won't cause a normal dirt/stone cave-in that actually blocks off the lower area with dirt. Instead you'll get a bunch of individual stones sitting around. Not sure how that impacts damage though....

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »

Bridges don't support constructions.

I didnt know that. It was probably because they started building while standing on a bridge, which makes sense now. I solved the problem by making a wall that ran the perimeter beneath the floor, but i was hoping i could just use a few supports so i could collapse the floor if i was ever in some deep shit.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »

Unless something has changed, glass is a bad thing to make trap components out of because they tend to do zero damage due to uninitialized stats.

All it has to do is forcing goblins to dodge off. The 10 z-level drops will do the rest.

I'm planning to finish this strip of floor, deconstruct the middle one, and fit both resulting prongs of the passageway with weapon traps. This all is 10 z-levels above ground... oh, and the downwards staircase there will also eventually touch down to the ground, prompting gobs to path up there.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:15:06 pm by Minnakht »
A Kea has stolen a coke!
Pages: [1] 2