Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort  (Read 20718 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »

Still in Summer, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar aka Uthirunib (Weevil Ghills Meanlauder aka Searags)

I think I said something untoward during last night's sober spell. It's gone all fuzzy in my mind, but apparently the inmates of this aslyum are now calling me 'Searags'! Curse that little lying kobold-son.  One of the reasons for taking this terrible job was to get away from his smug face and stupid nicknames.

On to more important business: humans! Came from the north, with a little bit of metal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, the stress of all her jobs has been getting to the baronness:

So I appointed our other appraiser, Vucar Lolokabir, as the broker.

The human traders seemed ecstatic about carrying off our random crafts and assorted junk. They even gave us some bronze ladles for free!

We also got some leather and a lot of food, barrels, wood and a little cloth, I forget the rest. Apparently Vucar mumbles when he talks and I didn't get the full list.

A child managed to pick up on something in the atmosphere - according to his mother he's always been very sensitive, for whatever that's worth - and took over a craftsdwarf shop. The list of items he used is really amazing,

but the result was even weirder. I didn't know crossbows could be made in craftshops. I didn't pay much attention to this at the time because an ettion showed up, and I was busy trying to organize our defenses and pacify the merchants.

The marksdwarves took some potshots at it, and did some fairly severe damage,

But it wasn't enough. Eventually we managed to get the traders away - they were only a little stir crazy near the end - and that lured the ettin in far enough to get caught in our cage traps.

Also, some very stupid hunter got himself killed. There's no corpse, so he may have been crushed when we were flipping drawbridges to try and manage the ettin. Some people think he's risen and is haunting us, but so far there's no concrete evidence either way. I'm going to order a slab for him just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:49:29 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »

1 Limestone, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar aka Uthirunib

Ah, autumn. I'll be returning to the mountainhome with the liason, whenever that bum gets here. In the meantime, the glass industry is slowly growing. It won't give us weapons and armor, but weapon and cage traps will work for now.

Sometime in the month of Moonstone, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar aka Uthirunib

The caravan arrived. Right on top of a goblin ambush.

The caravan eventually managed to fight off the goblins, but not without significant losses. And that stupid twit of a liason was one of the casualties.

Perhaps it's for the best. There's a lot to do in this fort, and the dwarves are at least as interesting as the ones in the mountainhome. Another year here wouldn't be terribly bad...at least, it wouldn't be terribly bad if we had been able to trade with the stupid caravan. They were so nervous after the goblin ambush that they never managed to get unpacked, and eventually they left so they could stick to their trade schedule.  The only good thing was that we were able to cage quite a lot of goblins. They weren't carrying much metal, but we stripped them of what they did have.

One of the glassmakers started feeling funny.  I tried to send him off to rest, but the fool kept working in the middle of the magma fumes. Eventually he snapped and started grabbing all sorts of random items. The result is an awe-inspiring example of dwarven ingenuity in the face of insanity. How do all these things even fit around each other?

All images: http://imgur.com/a/0dHlq

Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »

Late Winter, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar aka Uthirunib

This was a fairly quite winter for the fort overall (exciting for me, but more on that later).  We built more coffins in the tomb complex to try and clear out our furniture stockpile,

and recently we've spotted some ambushing kobolds,

but nothing very disruptive has happened. Weapon traps are progressing slowly. Another member of the military died, but whenever I tried to investigate it I just kept getting mumbles about the stupid things people do when sober, so I'm putting him down as a training accident.

In more personal news, I'm in love!

Kivish may not be the brightest gem in the pile, but he's sweet and *journal descends into romantic cooing*. At any rate, I'm resigning my post as Outpost Auditor to stay here and try to make this relationship work.  The ambush, the military and the constant complaining about dining room tables is someone else's problem now!

OOC: This was a fun fort to play with! And when I saw that Sostet was romantically involved with someone I couldn't resist weaving that in.  I've reset the graphics to the default ASCII. Best of luck to the next overseer!

Save at: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4260
All pics at: http://imgur.com/a/a8iIi
To summarize:

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »

Got the save!

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2011, 04:16:21 pm »

Due to JohnyDiggs not updating can i just take his turn.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »

Go ahead

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »

Can you put me down for position 11 or whichever spot is closest?

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2011, 10:10:58 pm »

This is turning FUN survived a tantrum spiral just now actual update will be released soon.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »

Journal of Ahrimahn Smith

As a proud Dwarf of this fortress I am proud to say that I became the Overseer of this fort mainly through assassination and political castration of my enemies i look forward to my year in charge to a great purpose

1st Granite
Set up further defenses on th inside of the gate in case of a Kobold raid getting through the traps

8th Granite
Our glorious militia has fought off a group of vile thieves with their crossbows and have been training by shooting the injured Kobolds with about a billion bolts. Ordered the Kobolds chucked into the Magma Sea.

24th Granite
Began the production of my legacy in this Fort

3rd Slate

The Forgotten Beast in our fortress got itself pretty battered allowing our military to deal with it!

8th Slate
Damn it migrants a plight upon dwarf kind have arrived. in other news i threw every single one of the prisoners into the magma sea in order to preserve framerate and shits and giggles.

26th Slate
A baby has been attacked by a mountain gnome that managed to evade our military guard of it personally blame the migrants their oul stench killed the baby so they caved in its skull to blame the gnome

19th Felsite
Good news everybody an elven caravan coinsided with two diferant ambushes at once while it was hilarious watching those elves claw and scream at our gates begging to be let in we have also proven a theory i had the Kobolds and the Goblins are working together!

26th Felsite
Today an idiot hunter migrant who left imediately after getting in died by goblin i will label this a suicide because he was stupid enough to have stayed outside after I ordered the bridge raised. The construction of my mysterious construction goes well.

6th Hematite
Jewelcrafter stopped talking to anyone started feverishly grabbing gems and claimed a workshop he will make something good I hope.

10th Hematite

Wow the gemcrafter made an awesome table out of blue jade gave it to the Baroness.

4th Malachite
fought off a goblin raid that surprised me 3 military dwarfs dwarves died.

20th Malachite
Fuck migrants the only consolation is that i have finally finished my project The MAGMA network run by an engraver who i trapped inside it can raise and lower the bridges, lock doors and operates floodgates ive put notes over the levers saying what they do.

3rd Galena
Dwarf are dehydrating themselves despite there beeing tons of wine 4 died due to this sudden religious fervor.

7nth Galena
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FORT, A giant cave crocodile attacked and the militia spent two days at a party while the bowyer was EATEN! solved the problem by removing the doors aparently it was a holiday in devotion to the god of death, famine, badgers, carp, and doorways where you ritualistically avoid doors and starve yourself to death.

24th Galena
A very strange Human caravan just arived followed closely by  lots of goblin bowman. They then sold us almost all of their stuff for a couple roasts and bins of trinkets PRAISE THE IDIOTS!

13th Limestone
Oh god i have so much blood on my hands. The Goblins had mostly been cought in cage traps so i sent out the militia to deal with them they where slaughtered by then the goblins eventually retreated but now we have no militia and a fort almost universally unhappy. The entire fort will be engraved to appease the dead and keep people from killing each other.

24th Limestone
Great just what we needed more people some migrants arived and they are moderately useful. whoops they where slaughtered by a kobold raiding party! no one knew them so we are still alive.

7th Timber
Solon has gone berserk he killed a baby and a clothier, OH AND DID I MENTION HIS MOUTH WAS FILLED WITH BODYPARTS HE BIT OFF! he was killed by the militia but still managed to wipe out minign operations for now. 3 months left in this hellhole.

16th Timber
ANOTHER AMBUSH these Kobolds are bold what did we do to them for them to send an ambush every five days! THEY SENT TWO AT ONCE!

20th Timber
Finally the mountainhomes send aid we now have enough food to seal ourselves off from the surface for the rest of the year and focus on fixing upp our defences!

21st Moonstone
Our cooks must be the best in the worlld or something we bought the entire inventory of the caravan with a few lavish meals and we became a county. The milker became possessed.

1st Opal

That is the most horrid artifact ive ever had it wasted massively useful Tetrahedrite i am sending a message to the mountain homes to see if we can hang draw and quarter the milker.

21st Opal
This fort is recovering although we have lost forty dwarves if you count the migrant wave. I can't wait to step down.

Not much else happened this year but i have decided to become the Militia commander out of penance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:45:21 pm by Ahrimahn »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:46 am »

Hijacks the save...
Armok save us. Crundles are starting to come up from the caverns below.

I have also found some serious holes in the defenses.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:56:10 am by RTiger »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2011, 09:02:25 am »

Hijacks the save...
Armok save us. Crundles are starting to come up from the caverns below.

I have also found some serious holes in the defenses.
Yeah a lot of buildings where destroyed by tantrums and i couldnt fix them all. and i filled out two squads so you can Zerg them
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:27:16 am by Ahrimahn »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:02 am »

Your year trashed the place. I can't really say I am an expert when it comes to military matters. I found three possible holes in the defenses, two areas wide open to the caverns, and begging to be invaded by crundles. I see that the first gate was torn down, but I kinda expected that. Still would be nice to have if the outer defenses get overrun.

What saddens me is the state my dwarf is in, but nobody lives forever.

Anyway, melcor, your up!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:30:00 am by RTiger »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:57 am »

Journal Of Ahrimahn Smith
While loking through the forts records i found this.

One of the militia captains became attached to his copper axe.  He swears it’s kept him alive. I tried to point out that it’ll keep him dead, too, if he has to fight off goblins with it. 
That really explains why when we sallied forth to kill the kobolds and Goblins he died first and killed the least.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:27 am »

I can't say I have ever been in a position where the kobolds rise to attack. They must have become bold from not being spotted in stealing items.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14