Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort  (Read 20708 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

As we have had no further update from Will Tuna, he has been skipped.

Ghills Your turn.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

OK. Downloading now. I probably won't have an update until the day after tomorrow, because tomorrow is going to be super busy.

EDIT: Can someone tell me what graphics set this is running?

SON OF EDIT: No response, so I'm just going to install something that doesn't make my head ache. When my turn is over I'll install the default graphics (hurray for LNP!) so that the next person can pick their look.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:35:54 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 12:38:30 am »

It's Ironhand

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 12:45:12 am »

Does the save updating have the danger of corrupting the save because no one on the forum can agree on what the best pack is?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 04:41:18 am »

i would like to be put on the list.

could you PM me wen it is my turn?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »

It's Ironhand

Thanks for letting me know. I'd already changed it to Phoebus, so I'll just stick with the original plan and turn it back into the default before passing the save on.

Does the save updating have the danger of corrupting the save because no one on the forum can agree on what the best pack is?

No so far as I know.  I'm going to be installing the default ASCII graphics when my turn is over, so the next person can move forward with a fresh slate.

Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »

1st of Granite, Early Spring Journal of Sostet Ubomgebar (Weevil Meanlauder)

Another year, another outpost to audit. Is trudging out to dungheaps filled with crazed exiles and yelling them into order the only thing I’m fit for? 

Maybe I should get married.  The way Mother tells it, the only thing that changed was staying in one place for more than a year.

This latest bungle-fest, the Drunkenwhims of Artifice, isn’t all that bad. Oh, the supplies situation is undeniably terrible,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and the hordes of unwashed beggarly layabouts are enough to make a dwarf scream,

But there is booze, and most of the rabble have places to sleep, and there's a respectable pile of dead bodies outside the front gates,

so we’re starting from a decent baseline.  Someone will have to deal with the horde of angry crundles (crundles are always angry) and some cave-crawling creature coming up from the caverns.

That someone won't be me though! Our military is in terrible shape. I'll have to appoint some useless clods to swing weapons and hope the squad commanders can sort them out.

Action Items!

1) Put a smile on the baroness’ face. She’s got legal authority and is unhappy enough to use it.

The easiest thing is to install all these beds sitting in stockpiles and dedicate one of them to her – there’s a wing of larger empty bedrooms and some really excellent furniture going unused, that will do as stopgap until I can plan a proper nobles wing. I can put her office and tomb on the levels below, locking her in will be a breeze.  If I get the work done today, I can even sneak some of the mayor’s furniture out of his bedroom so Her Flightiness can have an armor stand and a weapon rack.

Efficiency is a dwarf’s best friend.

2) Create a dedicated trading area.

The trading depot is inside the fort. In fact, it’s in the dining room.

I’ve given orders for all the tables and chairs to be moved to what I believe was meant to be a larger, more impressive dining room to create a better and less civilian-friendly stage for committing highway robbery fostering trade relations. The new dining room is 2 stories below the farms. A bit out of the way but I think the result will be worth it.

3)  Find some way to process metal so I can put some grates on the open-air refuse pit.

Late Granite, Still Early Spring

Id Zonteling became even moodier than usual, and now she’s running around the place grabbing all kinds of rocks and gems. I hear she’s a master smelter, but we don’t have a metal industry.  I hope something interesting comes out of this.  She’s grabbed a crafts workshop, so it won’t be useful.   

Well, it’s definitely interesting. And stone-crafting will give Id something productive to do until we can get some kind of smelter up and running.

Early Slate
Migrants have arrived.  Some 24 of them. Why wasn’t I told about this before I left? I thought this fort wasn’t due for more migrants for at least a few years.    The paperwork for this fort suggested that they weren’t planning on any more expansions!  I’ll find some room for bedrooms somewhere, I guess.

Also, this brings up an interesting question – without a metal industry, the only thing that can keep enough bodies occupied are farming and the militia. The farms have definitely been producing enough food, we should start a cloth industry so all these layabouts have something to do besides haul furniture.

OOC:  I changed my d_init population cap after I started the game. *facepalm* Well, we have lots of food at least. 

All pictures in this post:

http://imgur.com/a/XtBxP
To summarize:

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »

Pull that on lever near the refuse pile. It should solve the problem.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »

We should focus on reaching magma too so that we can actual start a metal industry.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

Early Felsite, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar (Weevil Ghills MeanLauder)

We just finished the kickoff for “Good Rooms For Good Friends”, where I bribe dwarfs to behave decently by giving them decent sleeping quarters.  There isn’t actually much to do – whoever designed the sleeping quarters knew what they were about. I’m adding a chair to the standard bedroom design (masons went a bit overboard when I said I needed chairs for the dining room. Who am I to crush an artist’s heart by crushing their work?) and smoothing all the floors.

Drafting all the idlers I can spot into either the clothing industry or the military.  So far no sparring injuries. Success! I've put the military on a rotating schedule so that everyone spends time training and guarding. It's not the best in terms of sparing their delicate little egos about their general uselessness outside of military life, but that dining room ought to wash it out of their little minds.

In other good news, the dining room is complete. But someone keeps organizing parties. Well, I should have expected it. As soon as a room is even halfway finished some dwarf will try to get drunk in it.

I have begun ordering an exploratory staircase down. There must be some way to get to magma in this ludicrous pitstop.  My fingers are itching to pound out some weapons.

The best thing I’ve heard all month: Kivish Talulerib, an armorer, found a tunnel tube growing in his bedroom doorway. How? By falling over it. The baroness and I are still bursting into giggles every time he walks by.

9th Felsite
WARM STONE! PRAISE THE MINERS! 

All pictures in this post:
http://imgur.com/a/B4f1Q

EDIT: For spelling failures.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:54:04 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »

Your almost out of time Ghills

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »

I know. I've got 48 more hours though, and I think I can make it. I can definitely finish playing the year through on time, but I may need to ask for a two-day extension to get the posts written.
To summarize:

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »

Sometime in Spring, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar (Weevil Ghills MeanLauder)

There was a second baby too. I knew letting all those idlers laze about would come back to bite us!

Elves have arrived. What do I care? I asked the baroness to handle it while I gave the miners their orders.  She’s in touch with the fortress' needs:

She'll do fine.

Hurray! The baroness persuaded the elves to take all of our crafts and mugs, the brainless little suckers. She got wood, food, sand, barrels and empty bags in return. ??? 

Mining our smelting area is going splendidly.  We should have something up and running in the next season or two.

One of the militia captains became attached to his copper axe.  He swears it’s kept him alive. I tried to point out that it’ll keep him dead, too, if he has to fight off goblins with it. 
To summarize:

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »

He will be fine just send him alone at the next raid if he wins good if he dies dimp the body into magma.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »

Summer, Sostet Ghills Ubomgebar (Weevil Ghills MeanLauder)

Ooh, my stomach. We've had a party almost continually since we found magma. Parties on the top of the tower, parties in the dining room, parties all over the place. Can't fault the wastrels for celebrating the end to their uselessness.

Which is a problem, because really they're going to keep on being useless. There isn't any metal on this map. I've had extensive surveying done and the only thing that could be here is adamantine.  That lovely smelter floor, sitting useless and empty! I'm planning out a campaign to collect all the weapons scattered around the region here, but it's not going to be enough. 

In the meantime, we have sand! Glass weapon traps and glass cage traps it is.  I'll build smelters and forges so that whenever we do find a source of metal we'll be prepared, but it's glass all the way until then.
To summarize:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14