Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 consecutive megabeasts  (Read 2091 times)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2 consecutive megabeasts
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »

Recently i was attacked by a cyclops. Only 1 casualty, 2 lost body parts, and a couple broken bones. No worries. Then another cyclops came not a month later. This one killed quite a few dorfs and animals. Enter tantrum spiral! Fun?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 2 consecutive megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

Yes. I can't get anything hostile at all, even with 220mDB of created wealth, 100+ population and a thriving gobbo civ nearby.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:12:59 pm »

Did you turn invasions off in the init?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:46 pm »

Wall your fortress off behind a dry moat and get some archers drafted. Also look up "civilian alert" on the wiki. That way you can always delay dealing with the beast until you're ready, and when you are ready you can shoot at it from a safe distance. Many titans seem to die rather easily after being shot 20+ times. Build some sort of plank with a pit zone that will allow you to toss a bait animal over the moat if you need to lure something in.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

Yea i did all that. The military deaths. And now a goblin ambush killed off all but 3 dorfs. The 3 will probably die from their wounds or from the remaining goblins

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »

goblins left. One dorf died. I now have 2 dorfs. One is very injured and can't do anything. The other has a moderate wound

EDIT: 1 died. Now have 1 dwarf.

EDIT: Migrants put me up to 8 dorfs.

EDIT: ANOTHER Ambush. This game just hates me. That ambush finally killed my fort. Gg, df. Fuck you, game engine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:57:20 pm by Ipwnurmom221 »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:40:30 pm »

What did you do? Embark next to a dark fortress or immediately start smelting tons of platinum?

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:03 am »

Yea i did all that.

How could you suffer so much if you had a moat? If built right it essentially prevents all combat. Besides, 1 cage trap is enough to deal with a cyclopse and let you put it to more amusing uses, ie; arena.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:06 am »

Yea i did all that.

How could you suffer so much if you had a moat? If built right it essentially prevents all combat. Besides, 1 cage trap is enough to deal with a cyclopse and let you put it to more amusing uses, ie; arena.
I had a goblin siege that lasted 6 years. I was in a calm embark location.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

Recently i was attacked by a cyclops. Only 1 casualty, 2 lost body parts, and a couple broken bones. No worries. Then another cyclops came not a month later. This one killed quite a few dorfs and animals. Enter tantrum spiral! Fun?

you are lucky.

Once i got attacked by a dragon (modded to have steel scales). As soon as it died my dwarves killed it a forgotten beast appeared.

P.s.: Cyclops are semimegabeasts.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »

I think calmness/savageness only impacts how nasty the local wildlife is. I don't think it has any impact on megabeasts or goblins.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:08 pm »

Nope. From what I can tell, I have terrible luck with getting attacked. So I fixed the problem by downloading DD.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »

I think calmness/savageness only impacts how nasty the local wildlife is. I don't think it has any impact on megabeasts or goblins.

I read, on the wiki i think, that increasing savagery will make animals humanoid and some other stuff. The humanoid thing was really what i found interesting.

Nope. From what I can tell, I have terrible luck with getting attacked. So I fixed the problem by downloading DD.  :D

I know that hurt, bro. Went 2 years without a goblin siege, despite having 3 artifacts made during that time (for a total of 10) and entire halls paved with gold and rose gold and multiple platinum statues. When i did get a siege, there was only one group and they immediately started attacking each other.