Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Consequences of Dwarficide  (Read 1550 times)

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
The Consequences of Dwarficide
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

So I had a dwarf caravan come in my first season. My military dwarves needed training, so why not train on the guards and their merchants? :D

After complete and total slaughter censored for your viewing, here are the end results! :]

Some interesting things I noticed after the attack was that, after dispatching the last defenseless merchant, my dwarves quickly turned around and started treating each other as enemies, attacking each other blindly and quickly sending the inhabitant population down to two dwarves, some animals, and a duck.

I found this interesting and that after the murder of the merchant caravan, the dwarves are now guilt-ridden and, burdened by their consciousnesses, are no longer able to distinguish between friend and foe. :D

I thought I might use this story to teach them kiddies a lesson: Murder will disintegrate your dwarf-anity. Like, in seconds. Yeah.

On another note, this might be a bug?  :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Consequences of Dwarficide
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »

Its a bug. Its called a loyalty cascade.

Just don't order your soldiers to kill friendly targets, even though it is possible to do so. If you really want to kill a caravan just enclose the trade depot in a room, lock the door, and wait until everyone is dead before opening the door.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »

No, it's a loyalty cascade. A well-performed one, might I add.
Basically, since your soldiers killed some of your own civilization, they were viewed as enemies by your other people, who attacked the soldiers. When someone attacked a soldier, other people thought he was an enemy too, and decided to attack him. Then those guys were viewed as enemies by some OTHER guys, who attacked them...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »

But what about the hostile duck?  ???

:o

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:52:59 pm »

I am assuming this isn't an issue if you attack humans or elfs?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:54:46 pm »

Only dwarfs from your civilization.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »

You can resolve it by locking everyone doing the interrupting into their rooms.

Keep the doors locked for about a year.

Then unlock the doors. The crisis will be over.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »

Heehee, so my expedition leader eventually struck down the Fish Dissector and I have no more interrupt messages, even from the duck! So... now I have 1 dwarf and 6 tame animals, including the duck of course, and no migrants came this season. Will we, err... he, survive? Yayyy! :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »

All of your dwarves start out as members of the Nation and members of the State. The dwarven caravan merchants and guards are members of the Nation (but members of a different State, not important here).

When your soldier attacks the caravan, he becomes an enemy of the Nation (for attacking another member of the Nation) but not an enemy of the State. Existing members of your fortress will now treat this soldier as hostile and will either attack or run away (usually the latter with peasants, unless they get cornered). If one of your other citizens attacks this soldier, said citizen will become an enemy of the State (for attacking another member of the State) but not an enemy of the Nation. From here forward, it goes back and forth, resulting in 2 hostile factions (enemies of the Nation and enemies of the State) and a third neutral faction. The only way to end this civil war is to kill all of the hostiles without exposing the neutrals to them - all future migrants will be neutral.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »

My military dwarves needed training, so why not train on the guards and their merchants?

I love that.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:40 pm »

So I had a dwarf caravan come in my first season. My military dwarves needed training, so why not train on the guards and their merchants? :D

Simple.  You didn't wait for the hippies.  That's where you went wrong.  You rose arms against your Dwarven brethren.  You should never strike out against your own... unless they happen to be a noble.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:03 pm »

Basically, since your soldiers killed some of your own civilization, they were viewed as enemies by your other people, who attacked the soldiers. When someone attacked a soldier, other people thought he was an enemy too, and decided to attack him. Then those guys were viewed as enemies by some OTHER guys, who attacked them...
I'm not sure that's a bug, actually, but an intended behaviour that's not yet fully implemented. What would you do in their place, witnessing the fortress militia committing armed robbery and murder?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »

Well, I would scream and run away because they're heavily armed and armored.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:17 am »

I'm not sure that's a bug, actually, but an intended behaviour that's not yet fully implemented. What would you do in their place, witnessing the fortress militia committing armed robbery and murder?

Join in the glorious slaughter.  Maybe that will teach the merchants to bring some steel components and bars as their main export, and not more cheese.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:45:47 am »

Simple.  You didn't wait for the hippies.  That's where you went wrong.  You rose arms against your Dwarven brethren.  You should never strike out against your own... unless they happen to be a noble.

But... Where's the challenge in that? Killing elves is a fun hobby, but it hardly qualifies as combat training.
With dwarves, well... Your whole population recieves extensive combat traning, including peasants, children...

(is it wrong that for me, the shining point of this report was the "interrupted by duckling" message?) 
Pages: [1] 2