Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to feed your animals.  (Read 3219 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to feed your animals.
« on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »

How to feed your animals

Since the 31.19 update, a lot of new stuff was added. Including clay, beekeeping, wool, more animals... Etc. But another feature/tweak was added too. Animals now need to eat since this version.

After seeing that too many people are creating unecessary topics about "my animals are starving, help", I decided to make a topic, trying to help these people.

If you are not really new, you probably played before the 31.19, so that is new for you.

OK, but how do I keep my animals well feed?

Some animals need to eat grass. But they seen to not like destroying your precious grass, unless you have told them to do it.

They will need a pasture zone/pen. And the pasture zones/pens themselves will need grass.

Setting up a pasture zone/pen

Pasture zones are an type of activity zone. Activity zones are place where your dwarves do something, like idle, collect clay, collect water, etc. Should not be confunded with Designations. Please note that the keys are case sensitive.

To set up an activity zone, you need to press the 'i' key. After pressing that, you will see a bunch of activity zones. Select the Pasture zone/pen zone with the 'n', after you have selected an rectangle.

The animals will graze in that 'rectangle'. Sometimes they will go off it(if that's possible), and your dwarves will haul them back.

After this, assign your animals to it. To do this, press the 'N[/b]' key. Again, note that the keys are case senstive. Select the animals you want to graze there.

Try to select an large area.

What?! My animals are fighting with themselves!

Animals need a LOT of space. Yes, you can stack mil colossi in a single tile, and that applies for any creature in DF2010(aka 31.x)
You can stack your cows in a single tile, but that would result in them fighting with themselves(don't ask, thats Dwarf Fortress).To prevent this, they will need a LOT of space. Yes, space thats larger than 15x15 tiles. The same rule don't apply to dwarves and other intelligent sentient creatures(currently dwarves,humans,goblins,kobolds,etc). Please remember that if you dwarves get low happiness they may tantrum.

I lost my elephant,my tigerman,and my giant panda. He/they didn't graze?

Elephants and other large creatures(such as rhinos) are currently bugged. We hope Toady One fixes this. The problem is, elephants need to eat so much grass that they can't eat enough in time to save themselves. There could maybe exist an workaround with modding, but I don't know Here's a workaround with modding, thanks to Lav for it:

There is a workaround with modding - you just have to change the numeric value of the [GRAZER:X] tag in the raws for that creature.

However doing this only for two or three animals feels a bit unbalanced, so I designed a rebalancing formula and changed all grazers in the game raws, using goats and sheep as the base point. So all creatures larger than goat and sheep started grazing less (elephants in particular became [GRAZER:26] which is still an extremely low value but at least they will not surely die out in a single season) while smaller animals started grazing more.

Your Tigerman though, has a reason to not eat grass. Tigermans are carnivore setient creatures. That means they need to eat meat. Just keep the stockpiles acessible to him(and your dwarves?) and him will be fine. Remember to not leave him jailed too much in a cave, or him will starve to death, since dwarves won't feed him.

Giant pandas(and some other animals) need special types of grass. Panda(either giant or not) won't eat your common grass, him needs bamboo.

That's it. I hope this topic has been helpful to you and/or other people. Please consider bumping it sometimes so other people can see.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:39:52 pm by Davichococat »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to feed your animals.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »

I just feed my animals to my dwarves via butcher workshops.

All of them.

If I need more meat I just wait for the next siege.

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

:D

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »

I just feed my animals to my dwarves via butcher workshops.

All of them.

If I need more meat I just wait for the next siege.

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

:D

Some people may want to breed animals though, since an good meat industry is composed of an good livestock. Also some animals give wool, its better than digging really deep just for some web and have your miner's feet melted by some forgotten beast acid.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »

Also note that certain animals such as giant panda will only eat certain kinds of grass - giant pandas only eat bamboo.  Unless you have that kind of grass, you can't keep them fed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »

For those who are unwilling to set up large pasture areas, a workaround via the use of large meeting areas is possible, just not as effective.

Designating 2 large meeting areas where grass grows allows your animals to path from one area to another, eating grass along the way. Its more efficient to use this for ducks, chickens and other relatively small grazers like goats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:57 am »

Designating 2 large meeting areas where grass grows allows your animals to path from one area to another, eating grass along the way. Its more efficient to use this for ducks, chickens and other relatively small grazers like goats.

Ducks and chickens (and most other birds) aren't grazers, so there's no need to worry about providing them with grass.

In the current version, only the following creatures need to graze:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beer_motor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Lawyerin'
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:19 pm »

You can designate indoor pastures for chickens et al. Works great. No need for pet-tight doors. Eggs are sort of cheaterific.

Grazers are kind of a pain, maybe cow leather etc should have higher value? And why do omnivores like Pigs need to graze? They should be able to be fed meat, too. Mmm, mafia hit disposal service.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »

Also note that certain animals such as giant panda will only eat certain kinds of grass - giant pandas only eat bamboo.  Unless you have that kind of grass, you can't keep them fed.

Thanks for the info, editing the post.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »

I'm at work and can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure you hit 'i', then define the rectangle, then press 'n' to make the rectangle a pasture, not the way you have described in the OP. I remember it because it's the opposite of the order for 'd' (designating digging and such) and it often trips me up when I'm doing it.

Also, I think you meant "He didn't graze?" instead of "Him didn't graze?". I'm assuming that English isn't your first language, and just trying to help. :)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »

Elephants and other large creatures(such as rhinos) are currently bugged. We hope Toady One fixes this. The problem is, elephants need to eat so much grass that they can't eat enough in time to save themselves. There could maybe exist an workaround with modding, but I don't know.
There is a workaround with modding - you just have to change the numeric value of the [GRAZER:X] tag in the raws for that creature.

However doing this only for two or three animals feels a bit unbalanced, so I designed a rebalancing formula and changed all grazers in the game raws, using goats and sheep as the base point. So all creatures larger than goat and sheep started grazing less (elephants in particular became [GRAZER:26] which is still an extremely low value but at least they will not surely die out in a single season) while smaller animals started grazing more.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:48 pm »

I'm at work and can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure you hit 'i', then define the rectangle, then press 'n' to make the rectangle a pasture, not the way you have described in the OP. I remember it because it's the opposite of the order for 'd' (designating digging and such) and it often trips me up when I'm doing it.

Also, I think you meant "He didn't graze?" instead of "Him didn't graze?". I'm assuming that English isn't your first language, and just trying to help. :)

Keith

Yes, english is not my first language, and don't you want to know how I learned it. Thanks for the help, editing.

Elephants and other large creatures(such as rhinos) are currently bugged. We hope Toady One fixes this. The problem is, elephants need to eat so much grass that they can't eat enough in time to save themselves. There could maybe exist an workaround with modding, but I don't know.

Adding that to the post. Thanks.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:37:28 am »

Bump.

Also I've got animals on my extremely large pen(120 tiles I think) to fight with themselves after the pen ran out of grass. Can someone confirm this? Do animals fight themselves after their pen run out of grass?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »

Bump.

Also I've got animals on my extremely large pen(120 tiles I think) to fight with themselves after the pen ran out of grass. Can someone confirm this? Do animals fight themselves after their pen run out of grass?

Yeah I believe after .21 animals started moving to fresh tiles when their current tile is depleted. This caused my camels to congregate in one corner after eating everything else in the pasture, and then the kicking started.

This just means you have too many animals in your pasture for the grass to sustain, and you'll need to move some of them off to separate pastures. I tend to just keep a breeding pair, butchering any others that reach adulthood, and just buy more off the caravans if I forget to replace my breeding pair with younger animals and they die of old age.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:23:40 pm by Langdon »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:55:52 pm »

Do Grazers in Cages need to eat?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile