Poll

Polls?

Yes
- 2 (40%)
No
- 3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Caramel: A livestock replacement mod.  (Read 17289 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Caramel: A livestock replacement mod.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 02:21:43 am »

I'm hoping so, it looks very nice.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 06:38:05 am »

What version is this?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »

I would just like to point out, if a creature lays unusual eggs, it won't breed normally, and will instead be generated from thin air when caravans/migrants/herds appear.  To compensate, you could utilize the new sheering that has been introduced with sheep and llama and such.  I'm not sure if you could directly sheer stone, but if you add a skin layer that's made of stone using a stone material, it should in theory sheer usable boulders from the creature.  Previous attempts were able to sheer skin and bones off dwarves, but I can't recall if these were directly usable or if they produced garbage items.  Either way, it should be very easy to include a reaction that takes a garbage item and produces a usable boulder.  Sheering also allows you to control the rate of growth and harvest.  In fact, I'm very tempted to include a gemstone crab or something, with sheerable gem clusters.

At the very least though, it should be very possible to make boulders on butcher, using the same method as fat is butchered into globs.  Doing this, you could make something like the heart or liver out of granite, or for that matter include a dummy organ which does nothing but is made of stone, and have it drop boulders on butcher.  Thus, raise a coral crab, and harvest small amounts of usable stone and ore from its butchered corpse.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »

I would just like to point out, if a creature lays unusual eggs, it won't breed normally, and will instead be generated from thin air when caravans/migrants/herds appear.

I made some creatures that lay unsual eggs and breed normally as in give birth to live young.

Do you mean that LUE creatures can not breed normally via laying normal eggs?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »

Oh, well, that may work then, I thought that LUE would override other breeding styles.  Still, considering what we're working with, shearable ore may be better.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 11:11:09 am »

I aten't dead. Just dealing with some RL stuff. It might be a while before I get back to this, though - I suppose I should put a new version up in the meantime.

The coral breed just fine as is. I'd considered using the shearing mechanics - that would make more sense - but I don't think that can be made to give boulders rather than body parts.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »

I'm gonna poke at this later today, see if I can make shearable boulders and gems.  Got a few other things to look after first, but I have a particular idea for how to do this.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »

Nifty!
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

Initial results are poor.  I modded sheep to have shearable fat, and sheared one.  It produced "Straw Ewe Fat" which could not be processed in the kitchen, did not show up under Glob in Z stock, and instead appeared under Body Parts.  Fat has a special butcher return, but it seems that shearing doesn't count as butchering.  Similarly, shearing muscle (meat) produces muscle instead of meat, even though butchering produces meat from muscle.  Thus, it seems that wool is only wool because of the [YARN] token.  Other resources must be innate, like skin or bone, which is directly used for leather and bolts, which processed materials like muscle, fat, and organs will only produce garbage material.  At least, I seem to recall someone successfully sheared dwarf skin and made leather from it at one point, I may be wrong.  Either way, it stands to reason that a stone tissue type will produce "Stray Coral Crab Granite" instead of "Granite Boulder".

That being said, you could easily make a reaction that takes "Stray Coral Crab Granite" and produces "Granite Boulder".  Sadly I think you'd need one for every species of coral, because a generic "use material of reagent" will produce a "Coral Crab Boulder" instead of "Granite Boulder".  Still, you should be very easily able to add a reaction for all these, and set it to automatic and use no skill.  Thus, the player won't be searching through the list of red looking for the one crab type he has, and instead he simply shears the crab as normal and then another workshop will automatically process it into a boulder.  Tanning leather and processing fat uses a similar automatic reaction.  If you really wanted, you could append this to the smelter, but the smelter has enough functions on it with all the various metal types and alloys and "from bar/from ore".  I'd highly suggest a unique workshop.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 11:49:44 am »

I'm not too enthusiastic about having the coral harvesting process take that kind of extra labor, and I think that limits it to one kind of stone per coral if I want to keep a strict 1:1 correspondence of sheared items in to boulders out, but it's an interesting idea anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:51 pm »

I haven't tested it, but I believe you can have more than one shearable tissue per creature, allowing, for example, copper and tin ore from the same creature.  At least, there appears to be nothing strictly against it.  Beyond that, you could do whatever you wanted in the reactions.  1 coral tissue = 5 boulders, 1 ore, and 3 chicken eggs?  Sure!

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »

The Frill Lizard eggs don't show up in my kitchen list. The only difference I can find between Frill Lizards and say ducks is the line:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EGG_MATERIALS]
Was it intentional that their eggs be uncookable? It seems kind of... cat-splosiony.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

So, I like to make sure that as many people as possible see interesting ideas that seem to have died. It's the only hope of a re-visitation. Some one picking this up and fleshing it out holds much promise. Unfortunately, I can't do it myself.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 11:53:10 pm »

Look for Deeper Dwarven Domestication mod, it's great.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]