Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729618 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

This should happen, at one point or another. I can allready think up a bunch of styles:

Fist of Reincarnation: Allows the fighter to change living things, or parts of them, into other living things. Turn a field of grass into a stampede of rabbits, or a brawny jock into a high-school nerd. Vice versa, even!

Fist of the Sniper: Do anything, and send that action far away. Punching, yelling, punching, licking, you name it. Also accounts for making illusions of distance real. Hold a water balloon so it looks like it's above your enemies, and it becomes giant and crashes down on them. Might also accelerate projectiles and make them more accurate.

Fist of Exchange: Swap something one person has or owns for something another owns, provided they're both in the vicinity. Personalities, fists, bodies, style of hair, names, positions, etc. Can apply to groups at once for ultimate shenanigans.

:Fist of Fo'tisf: Reverse most anything that actively happens. A punch heals, cutting hair makes it longer,  running in a direction makes you go the other way, etc. Potential for fun when combined wth other punches.

Fist of Magical Cards: Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo meets Yugi Moto....Again! Draw randomly generated cards and play them to turn the tides of battle! I summon Blue-Eyebrows White Dragon! How about Dark Magician Curls? Of course, Slif-hair the Sky Dragon! Plus, turn memories allies and defeated enemies into cards of their own right!
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's some good stuff you've made. I'm glad there's some interest. I guess I'll start working on the setting/mechanics a bit, and we'll see how that goes in time.

Spoiler: Main things to resolve (click to show/hide)

Edit: The more that I think about this, the more it seems better suited for some sort of role playing thing rather than an RTD. We can certainly still do it this way though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:51:57 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really sure where to post this, but this seems as good a place as any. I've been looking back on every game I've run, and I honestly think I've come a long way. While still kind of iffy, my writing skills have improved substantially since I ran my first rtd. I'm actually satisfied with the latest turn of Wiki Wars Redux in a way I am about very few things I've ever made.

So like I said, I've been looking back over some of my older games, and I feel more confident in the idea of running some of them than ever. The main reason I'm posting this is to gauge interest in my running some of said games. One in particular(Dwarven Races) is part of a niche that has gone sorely unfulfilled as of late. So here goes the recap I guess.

Spoiler: Original (click to show/hide)

... Wow, were those really basically my only original ideas? Damn. Well, the only ideas I made use of anyway. Let's move on to the other games, I guess.

Spoiler: Not Original (click to show/hide)

Let's see what else... well, nothing much really. Feel free to express your interest in whatever options you like.

Edit: Heh, I made this post way too long didn't I. Sorry. I'll add spoilers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:53:31 am by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another way to spice up the Space Whale RTD could be to switch from a single ship to a fleet so that everyone can go toe to toe with the whale in their own ship. It might even be worth ditching hand weapons entirely at that point. I can also see it working with either one relatively vulnerable carrier ship playing an artillery/support/meat processing role with most players in fighters or with a group of roughly equivalent ships in a variety of combat roles. For the many ships one, maybe the whale is towed back to a processing station or something as a way to prevent one person from wasting a ship on the equipment.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

I've heard a couple references to Chunky Salsa damage systems. Is that an organized rule somewhere I can read, or is it just a term for limb and organ damage?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I've heard a couple references to Chunky Salsa damage systems. Is that an organized rule somewhere I can read, or is it just a term for limb and organ damage?

It's a reference to the Chunky Salsa Rule, which is that if your head is reduced to the appearance and consistency of chunky salsa, you're dead. In terms of damage systems, it just means you're doing whatever the fuck in regards to how damage works. An example is Einsteinian Roulette, where PW rolled for the body part hit and then roughly described what terrible thing happened to it (with endurance rolls to determine how dead you are sometimes).

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

It's a reference to the Chunky Salsa Rule, which is that if your head is reduced to the appearance and consistency of chunky salsa, you're dead. In terms of damage systems, it just means you're doing whatever the fuck in regards to how damage works. An example is Einsteinian Roulette, where PW rolled for the body part hit and then roughly described what terrible thing happened to it (with endurance rolls to determine how dead you are sometimes).

Alright.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Alternate names would be "GM judgement" and "common sense" damage systems, eg "I think a bullet does this to you." It's convenient because it's simple, but it runs the risk of being inconsistent, unintuitive (if you're uncertain what the GM thinks of given weapons/armors/characters), unbalanced ("common sense" and "realism" are notoriously poorly balanced), and having difficulty meshing with other systems (like what being shot in the gut or losing an arm actually does mechanically).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those ideas about the Space Whale RTD are pretty good. With a fleet, a lot of options start to open up. Guess I'll get to work on that. Another note: While upgrading the meat processor was highly effective in increasing cash flow, it sort of FELT like a dead stat to me sometimes. Your suggestions make for good possible solutions.

Spoiler: Ideas (click to show/hide)

But yeah with Chunky Salsa you have to really think things out and decide on a consistant wound/damage system. How deadly is a 5v4 as opposed to a 5v2 for instance? What about a 4v2 compared to a 3v1? Chunky Salsa isn't as random/easy/chaotic as one might think it is at times. It probably wouldn't have the same popularity on any other forum but this one, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:48:55 am by Person »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I have decided to start work on a loot generator for a Looters Delight style game, but need to populate the tables.
I have a link here to a Google Doc Spreadsheet. It's on comment mode, so while changes you make won't take effect immediately, I can quickly implement them. I need M2:BX161 filled up (Yes, that is 12,960 cells), with objects adjectives or whatever else you can give me. Go nuts.

Duplicates are fine, but not too many, OK?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JSvg-a6UCbNFB6LMDsuhSnB0WO82C1p_fzu_BBjKx2o/edit?usp=sharing

Remember, "Comment Only Mode" doesn't mean just comments, you can make edits instead of comments, but the edits will be turned into "suggestions". It's easier for me to accept suggestions than actual comments. Turns out suggesting mode is available in Docs, but not in Sheets.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:35:08 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I am considering starting a semi minimalist rpg where the only stats would be:

Health (5 "tokens" or some other arbitrary system)
Possession: Starts at 10, and when it reaches 100, bad things happen. Is increased when you roll badly while using demonic power. If you are possessed by more than one demon, the bonuses are greater, but possession increases faster.

Basically the plot would be: You used to do a thing that you state in your backstory. Now, whether accidentally or intentionally, you are possessed by a demon. The demon possessing you will have a specific thing, (like a demon of cunning), which would provide bonuses to actions involving what trait the demon is tied to, at the cost of increased possession on bad rolls. Demon hunters are hunting you. Survive.

Obviously, there would be more to it than this, but I don't feel like writing it all up right now.

Just wondering really, how many people would be interested, how many should play at once, and how fatal should it be.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

With fatality, I think there's a kinda band where it isn't great. Games should be not-very fatal, or dangerous enough that characters don't mind, otherwise the players may get annoyed. That said, I run a game right in the middle of that band, as Egan's going to find out, and I can remember some great forum games in it, so what do I know...
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

With fatality, I think there's a kinda band where it isn't great. Games should be not-very fatal, or dangerous enough that characters don't mind, otherwise the players may get annoyed. That said, I run a game right in the middle of that band, as Egan's going to find out, and I can remember some great forum games in it, so what do I know...
Zeus, Devastator quoted this in IRC and nearly gave me a heart attack. Don't make me strangle you. Or if you do, at least do it while killing me.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Demon possession, huh? I can think of a few ways to expand upon this:

-Does it have to be a DEMON possessing you? For example, why not a ghost, or other comparable mythic being? There could be other differences based on the type of possession. Ghost possession could make you better at some specific subject the spirit was good at in life, such as carpentry, metalworking, maybe gardening or dueling, but possession would increase if you didn't act upon the ghost's last wishes in life. Anything from seeking a lost love, protecting the peasant class, to simply fixing broken woodwork.

-Possessed by an angel. Given warding effects that protect the possessed from a specific thing, from fire to bad luck or piercing, but must act virtuous or something. Maybe, to differentiate from ghost possession, possession increases based on how much is warded.

-Possessed by an elemental. Provides magical abilities based on manipulating the specific element, each requiring a given amount of possession. Regenerates back to lower possession, but still steadily increases with increased usage of abilities.

-Possessed by eldritch being. Provides wider variety of abilities than an Elemental would provide, but increased possession is even more dangerous as lunatic quirks pop up. Some are sorta permanent, but can be removed for an increase in possession. Maybe the inverse, too; accepting a brief insanity from high possession as permanent can decrease your possession notably.

-For some mechanic other than a different possession, how about tasks to decrease your possession, or gain abilities or boosts based on your possessor? A demon of secrets may reduce your possession for hiding something from your group, or allow you to hide your very presence if you dig up some dirt on a certain notable politician.

-What is the end goal? Stopping the demon-hunters? Liberating your demon without liberating your life? Could it vary from person to person?

-How could one obtain multiple possessions, anyway?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All very good ideas. Probably something I will include, but I will need to change the history section residing in my head slightly.

Yeah the higher the possession the more power an entity can channel through you, but with the cost of becoming increasingly unstable.

The main characters wouldn't necessarily be in a group, but they will receive quests from those possessing them. Depending on the possessed these quests could be items that help the entity break the barrier to reality more easily, (Meaning you become more possessed in the process), or it could genuinely be trying to help you out of the goodness of its heart. You really don't know. Also I will use the demons as a method of giving characters information without needing to pm them or expose it some other way. (For example, a demon may advise that you kill someone. Assuming it was a demon or murder, this would be bad advice that would likely harm you. Your call.)
Depending on the character and the entity they are being possessed by, they may have end game quests that would let them "win", such as a war demon promising to leave you one tenth of his power and cease possessing you if you start a war between two nations. There won't be any real end game or true way to win unless you somehow take over the kingdom or kill everyone else. Only something on that level of spectacularity would count as winning.

As far as reducing possession, you can force part of the possession into tools or armor, failing resulting in increased possession and success resulting in a decrease with a powerful weapon, or just focusing on forcing it from your mind. However, doing so will result in lost time. Which means demon hunters will get closer. And failing while trying to reduce possession will result in an increase.

On the topic of gaining multiple possessions, I will keep THAT to myself. he means taking poorly worded deals with us. shush don't tell them. or what? or i will consume you. with my help. fine, okay, just wanted to give the poor innocents SOME warning.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 661