Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729237 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9510 on: September 06, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

Nobody Likes The Lackeys, available now on Blu Ray, DVD, and on Demand.

Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9511 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:00 am »

Boredom strikes, take two.

I've revised some variables on my hit/miss system, bringing it to a more RTD-suited form.

The dice are now always d6. By default, every action or dodge rolls 6 of them. If the particular game uses stats and skills, the combined value of the highest relevant stat and skill would be the number of dice rolled, in this case the game must be designed in such a way that the combined total of 6 is the "average" number of dice a regular character would roll.

The main means of altering probability on the side of the DM is the Threshold, representing the difficulty of the action. 0 difficulty would be a simple action that an untrained but otherwise functional and sane person would have little difficulty with doing. 1 difficulty would be sort of difficult, 2 would be very difficult, 3 would be nigh impossible, and it would ramp up with that. Threshold can be negative, for tasks that should be so easy they are only checked against for the odds of spontaneous critical failure.

With every roll of X dice, some dice can be hits, some misses, some neither. 1 or 2 is a miss. 5 or 6 is a hit. The qualifications get... very interesting with threshold involved.

Threshold is subtracted from the number of rolled hits, to a minimum of 0.
Threshold is added to the number of rolled misses, unless it is negative.

A roll with no net hits that does not qualify for other outcomes is a Failure. Failures can have severity determined by the number of rolled misses.
A roll with only 1 net hit that doesn't qualify for any other outcomes is a "scraped by" result, a "partial success".
Two or more net hits is a Success, unless all other dice are misses.
Exactly 5 net hits is a Perfect Success, unless all other dice are misses.
A roll with all dice landing on either hit or miss, results in an Overshot. Exact outcome dependent on number of hits and misses rolled.
Finally, a roll with all but one die, or all dice, landing on "miss", is a critical failure.

I've done similar bouts of extensive testing as last time, and I think this one feels a lot more like an RTD. You can give out +1s to actions a lot easier this way, as it only extends the pool, and the threshold mechanic is very punishing even with relatively small values.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ragenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:18 pm »

Sounds like a cool dice system, could you link me to your original dice post, please? I just stumbled upon your revision, and I'd like to read the rest.

Ragenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »

I've had an idea running through my head for awhile, and I'd like to see if this forum would like to give it a shot.

THE COLD CENTURY: THE COLD WAR RTD
This game would be a Dwarf Fortress-esq Black Comedy RTD that has players fighting each other as either the Allies and USA, or as the Soviet USSR, along with other Third party groups that come along, like the Nazi Axis or the Vietcong. The game would take place during different "Cold Eras", from Red October 1917, to World War Two, and all the way forward to the dawn of the internet, and the fall of the Soviet Union. However, the Soviet Union does not have to fall in this game, you, as the players, change the history of the Cold War, with the only things set in stone being the presence of the two superpowers of that time, at least, until the end, then the gloves officially come off.

With that being said, here are the Cold Eras:
1917-1930: The Cub and the Chick
1931-1945: The Blue, the Red, and the Black
1946-1962: The Red Scare
1963-1978: The Yellow Menace Rises
1979-1987: The Red Scare 2- Soviet Boogaloo
1988-1991: The Bear and the Eagle
1992+: The Millenial Dawn and Great Thaw

As for rules, I have no idea of what would be best. The only solid rule would be that all players must have an active character on either the USA or the USSR. Afterwards, you may make another character that is Third Party. Anyways, thoughts? Ideas of a good rule system to handle the large amount of players I hope to have? Questions on what I could expand on. Thanks for reading.

P.S: Anyone able to draw up propaganda? Their service would undoubtedly be invaluable to this game! It would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:32:19 pm by Ragenaut »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: September 23, 2016, 04:51:57 pm »

Seems interesting, though perhaps not best suited as an RTD. Unless you're in charge, it seems rather difficult to change the events of the cold war as one person, or even a group of people.

Perhaps it'd be better either as a suggestion game where the players collectively control one leader, or a game where the players control high ranking officials(or business owners I guess?) Still, if you think you can handle the load of multiple competing nations, more power to you.

Furthermore, the cold war didn't really feature any proper armed combat. However, making the players (even if not all of them) spies would be a good way of adding direct conflict to the game.

In any event this is going to be a lot of research, and I wish you the best of luck. The cold war was very much a war of cultures, so don't forget to consider the role sports, music, and art played in the war, among many other things.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ragenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: September 23, 2016, 07:56:17 pm »

Seems interesting, though perhaps not best suited as an RTD. Unless you're in charge, it seems rather difficult to change the events of the cold war as one person, or even a group of people.

Perhaps it'd be better either as a suggestion game where the players collectively control one leader, or a game where the players control high ranking officials(or business owners I guess?) Still, if you think you can handle the load of multiple competing nations, more power to you.

Furthermore, the cold war didn't really feature any proper armed combat. However, making the players (even if not all of them) spies would be a good way of adding direct conflict to the game.

In any event this is going to be a lot of research, and I wish you the best of luck. The cold war was very much a war of cultures, so don't forget to consider the role sports, music, and art played in the war, among many other things.
Thanks for the feedback, and yeah, I'll have all the players play as high ranking officials, or spies, or probably just super soldiers, basically whatever they want. Thing is, I'm wanting to make this a legendary, mythologized version of the Cold War, where the heroes are one man armies, and plans and schemes are extremely bold and cool, with battles of epic proportions.

Basically, take what they did to Dynasty Warriors, and apply it to the Cold War. I will respect the war for what it is though, I won't parody or mock any aspect of it. I want epicness, not mockery, and I'll be sure to do all the research that's necessary to make sure to honor the war of cultural values that it was.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: September 24, 2016, 02:41:56 am »

Ah yes, that sounds a fair bit more workable. I might even play something like that. Wonder what it would be like to run NASA in that sort of setting. Eheh, can someone say giant robot fights in space/on the moon against russia?

... Okay, that sounds awesome enough that it actually that needs to be a game on its own come to think about it.

Edit: So you're really going with the era mechanic then? Do you have any plans as to time scale? A set amount of passage per turn? Major events mainly advancing time? A mix, perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:53:56 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ragenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: September 24, 2016, 07:08:20 am »

The eras aren't really a timeline, but more like a setting our characters act in. We act in an era until we've either exhausted everything we can do from it, or get bored of it. We then head to the next era, which will have quite a different feel to it, and different things to do. Rinse and repeat until we reach the final era. 

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: September 24, 2016, 07:23:48 am »

Chaotic Arms Race ahoy.

...Actually, i dunno if the statement above is true or not.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: November 04, 2016, 07:41:51 am »

So there is this thread in Other Games called Dungeon Crawl 0.19 tournament with the words Punch Club underneath.

I could have sworn for a second it said Pub Crawl Tournament, and I thought what a good idea for an rtd that would be.

Shortly after I thought, no, it would be stupid.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:35 am »

Which is to say somebody should do it anyway.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:27 am »

Which is to say somebody should do it anyway.
You volunteering?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:53 am »

Sounds pretty Yoink.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: November 04, 2016, 12:24:05 pm »

So there is this thread in Other Games called Dungeon Crawl 0.19 tournament with the words Punch Club underneath.

I could have sworn for a second it said Pub Crawl Tournament, and I thought what a good idea for an rtd that would be.

Wouldn't that basically be The World's End in RTD form (either by design or by sudden dramatic turns in the premise as the GM gets bored)? Sounds pretty brilliant, truth be told.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: November 04, 2016, 12:27:04 pm »

Ah, but what would the goal be? To win the most bar fights? To achieve Maximum Inebriation? To survive a plethora of meaningless sexual encounters that only seem like a good idea through the twin lenses of beer goggles and existential dread? To become a local legend in as many pubs, clubs, and tavernubs as possible via an intricate and fickle reputation system?

Or... ALL OF THE ABOVE, with each crawler attempting to achieve their own chosen victory condition while foiling the attempts of their competitors? Perhaps by burning down the tavern once it becomes clear that one of the crawlers is nearing victory? Perhaps while using a dungeon crawler aesthetic and style?

Perhaps?
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 661