Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727392 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I had a similar idea to this, but replace Magical girls with Pacific Rim mecha. Because I'm not obsessed with little girls like irony is~. I get my kicks through murder.
Skyscraper-Sized Mechs: For when ripping out a still-beating heart smaller than a condo just doesn't sate you.

Regardless, I think one of the major things you'd have to nail down to do that is the tone, since that would pretty drastically change the feel of the upgrade system and how it works. Because in most of those shows (I'm not super familiar with the genre, despite my magical girl generator) they don't really get any physical reward from beating the bad guys do they? Like, In madoka they got the little thing to stop them from going nuts, and in card captor they captured the things in the cards, but in sailor moon didn't they just do it to foil a villain's plans or protect something? They didn't exactly butcher their enemies monster hunter style and duct tape the claws to their pretty magical wands or anything.

Depending if you wanna go light hearted, Madoka style suffering, or maybe something altogether different, you'd probably have to really change the nature of the upgrades. With light hearted you could do something card captor or even pokemon like, where defeating a bad guy somehow gave you power over them or some aspect of them. Maybe corrupted spirits that you end up purifying? Maybe Megaman style where after defeating them you just mysteriously learn their ability? Maybe they drop something as they are defeated and that item lets you do it?

Grimdark magic girls could probably get away with the literal interpretation of this, straight up monster hunter style. Make new weapons and stuff out of the magical body parts of critters, use them to power rituals for magic spells, or maybe feed them to that evil magical animal you made the contract with in exchange for more power.  Imagine one of the girls dragging the corpse of some witch over to kyubey and him just unhinging his jaw and slowly devouring it whole before coughing out some new upgrade.

There are a lot of interesting things you could do depending on the style of magical girl you wanted to use.
Yeah. My default would probably be innocent looking but horrifying in context; ie everything's ribbons and jewelry, but once you get familiar with where and how those upgrades come from they start taking on entirely different meanings.

Another idea I like is the notion that the item itself isn't where all or even necessarily most of the power comes from; it's the actions and significance of its harvest that really give it juice. So a Golem Heart Ribbon is an entirely different item depending on if you and your team just kind of kite it down at no real risk, or if you personally solo it through three nervewracking rounds of melee combat wherein a single hit from it would have instantly killed you.

Oh hey, bonus points if the items are more potent the more of your friends you've lost that mission. You wouldn't intentionally bring worthless newbies just to feed them to the terrors in the dark, would you~?

And by studying, I mean vivisecting. Just fucking binding them and cutting them open on the field while everyone else gives covering fire.
To give it a really good twist you need to extract power while target is still alive.
But of course! A good vivisection should start off with a healthy subject, and end up with a neatly disassembled subject! :P

This is going to spawn a game along the lines of Mahou Shoujo Von Nost, isn't it?
I'm... not the only one who wants to play Pretty Princess Vivisection Ascension? Today has been informative!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another idea I like is the notion that the item itself isn't where all or even necessarily most of the power comes from; it's the actions and significance of its harvest that really give it juice. So a Golem Heart Ribbon is an entirely different item depending on if you and your team just kind of kite it down at no real risk, or if you personally solo it through three nervewracking rounds of melee combat wherein a single hit from it would have instantly killed you.
Sounds like it could promote quite a lot of interesting and hilariously reckless strategies that people wouldn't use in most games. Because once you start taking risks like that, there's nothing to discourage you from setting yourself on fire just so that the flames from your burning body deal that little bit more damage to your foe and hopefully add to your reward, after all, damage over time doesn't matter as much if you can get one-shot at full health. I wonder if it will result in some people just becoming magical cenobites or something :P

I'm... not the only one who wants to play Pretty Princess Vivisection Ascension? Today has been informative!
Sigged.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I had a similar idea to this, but replace Magical girls with Pacific Rim mecha. Because I'm not obsessed with little girls like irony is~. I get my kicks through murder.
Skyscraper-Sized Mechs: For when ripping out a still-beating heart smaller than a condo just doesn't sate you.

Regardless, I think one of the major things you'd have to nail down to do that is the tone, since that would pretty drastically change the feel of the upgrade system and how it works. Because in most of those shows (I'm not super familiar with the genre, despite my magical girl generator) they don't really get any physical reward from beating the bad guys do they? Like, In madoka they got the little thing to stop them from going nuts, and in card captor they captured the things in the cards, but in sailor moon didn't they just do it to foil a villain's plans or protect something? They didn't exactly butcher their enemies monster hunter style and duct tape the claws to their pretty magical wands or anything.

Depending if you wanna go light hearted, Madoka style suffering, or maybe something altogether different, you'd probably have to really change the nature of the upgrades. With light hearted you could do something card captor or even pokemon like, where defeating a bad guy somehow gave you power over them or some aspect of them. Maybe corrupted spirits that you end up purifying? Maybe Megaman style where after defeating them you just mysteriously learn their ability? Maybe they drop something as they are defeated and that item lets you do it?

Grimdark magic girls could probably get away with the literal interpretation of this, straight up monster hunter style. Make new weapons and stuff out of the magical body parts of critters, use them to power rituals for magic spells, or maybe feed them to that evil magical animal you made the contract with in exchange for more power.  Imagine one of the girls dragging the corpse of some witch over to kyubey and him just unhinging his jaw and slowly devouring it whole before coughing out some new upgrade.

There are a lot of interesting things you could do depending on the style of magical girl you wanted to use.
Yeah. My default would probably be innocent looking but horrifying in context; ie everything's ribbons and jewelry, but once you get familiar with where and how those upgrades come from they start taking on entirely different meanings.

Oh hey, bonus points if the items are more potent the more of your friends you've lost that mission. You wouldn't intentionally bring worthless newbies just to feed them to the terrors in the dark, would you~?

And by studying, I mean vivisecting. Just fucking binding them and cutting them open on the field while everyone else gives covering fire.
To give it a really good twist you need to extract power while target is still alive.
But of course! A good vivisection should start off with a healthy subject, and end up with a neatly disassembled subject! :P

This is going to spawn a game along the lines of Mahou Shoujo Von Nost, isn't it?
The question becomes how you quantify any of that. Unless we wanna just go simplistic rules, make shit up as we go style.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could assign every lootable object with a potency value and have the details themselves give multipliers to that value. So it'd look something like this:
Code: (Multipliers) [Select]
Kiting: x0.50
Teamwork: x0.90 per person
Civilian Dies: x1.50 per person
While on Fire: x1.50
Damaged Foe by being on Fire: x1.75
Damaged Foe by setting Civilians on Fire: x1.75 per person
Solo: x2.00
Teammate Dies: x3.00 per person
Risk of Instant Death: x3.00

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

I'm starting to wonder if it would be possible(or a good idea) to sticky this.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

blazing glory

Certainly possible, if enough people tell the Toad that that they want it to happen then he'd probably do it, he only keeps a casual watch on the lower boards and lets them do their thing.

I for one think it'd be a good idea.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

The question becomes how you quantify any of that. Unless we wanna just go simplistic rules, make shit up as we go style.
Presumably mostly make shit up as we go style, though obviously it'd depend on the exact system. I'd be warier of bullshitting numeric values, so maybe give things a base strength but arbitrarily deciding what it'd do for you. Possibly cheating by making, say, kiting items generally suck or be dangerous or what have you, and lifesaving items stronger or more reliable or somesuch. Depending on what you wanted to reward/punish/compensate for.

And again, this depends pretty heavily on how the system works. I'd tend to lean towards handing out additional activated abilities over raw stat boosts, so decking somebody out with Kiting Ribbons (+1 Att, -1 Def each time you hit in combat; adjustments reset upon being hit) or Vanguard's Frills (1/Combat: When you would be reduced to 0 HP or lower, activate to cancel the damage) wouldn't necessarily be a huge deal. A more slot, stat, or class based system might not handle Hairpins Of +3 Stat You Don't Need or Throat Clasps Of Jesus Christ What Is Your Agi At Now quite as well.

You could assign every lootable object with a potency value and have the details themselves give multipliers to that value. So it'd look something like this:
Code: (Multipliers) [Select]
Kiting: x0.50
Teamwork: x0.90 per person
Civilian Dies: x1.50 per person
While on Fire: x1.50
Damaged Foe by being on Fire: x1.75
Damaged Foe by setting Civilians on Fire: x1.75 per person
Solo: x2.00
Teammate Dies: x3.00 per person
Risk of Instant Death: x3.00
Or that, yeah. Just please tell me those don't stack multiplicatively, or we'll be going full DBZ on this shit.

Actually, I wonder if you could simplify a system like this down into a basically Diablo item prefix-suffix thing, only probably stacking better. Maybe having a teammate die on the mission adds the Bloodstained tag to whatever you get out of the mission, which has an effect either on its own (+1 HP, Full heal on ally being dropped, Vampiric 1) or on the item's other properties directly (Recover 1 HP on use, +(Allies in critical condition - 1) to effect magnitude, may spend 1 hp to target an additional target with ability).

Once you add everything up that happened on the mission, you might end up with a Flawless Spectacular Golem Core of Teamwork (+1 Dodge, +1 Crit, +5 HP, +1 Attack against targets being attacked by your allies this round) or a Bloodstained Cripple's Golem Core of Tenacity (Bloodstained Cripple's Golem Punch of Tenacity: Deal 5 damage to target. Ability does half total damage, x2 multiplicative per ally in critical condition. Deal +2 damage if suffering a Major Wound. Recover 3 HP on hit.).

Also has the advantage of letting you scream at your allies if they fuck up your Flawless run by getting hit once. Everyone wins!

I'm starting to wonder if it would be possible(or a good idea) to sticky this.
Certainly possible, if enough people tell the Toad that that they want it to happen then he'd probably do it, he only keeps a casual watch on the lower boards and lets them do their thing.

I for one think it'd be a good idea.
Stickied things are oddly less visible in a way, and I feel like this is either alive enough to be on the front page anyway or dead enough that stickying it probably isn't especially helpful.

That said, the Toad certainly isn't opposed to stickying things, he'd likely just want a bit of consensus on it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Hm.
Yeah, I feel this thread might be a good choice for a sticky.

Sticky, anybody?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or that, yeah. Just please tell me those don't stack multiplicatively, or we'll be going full DBZ on this shit.
Yeah, the issue with that system is that in order to multiplicatively stack, everything is going to need to have a relatively small bonus. So probably less along the lines of "x3.00" and more "+5%". Otherwise they'll just set half the city on fire in a bid to maximize their gains.

Actually, I wonder if you could simplify a system like this down into a basically Diablo item prefix-suffix thing, only probably stacking better. Maybe having a teammate die on the mission adds the Bloodstained tag to whatever you get out of the mission, which has an effect either on its own (+1 HP, Full heal on ally being dropped, Vampiric 1) or on the item's other properties directly (Recover 1 HP on use, +(Allies in critical condition - 1) to effect magnitude, may spend 1 hp to target an additional target with ability).

Also has the advantage of letting you scream at your allies if they fuck up your Flawless run by getting hit once. Everyone wins!
That sounds great, especially since you can just create a prefix for achievements on the spot if necessary, not to mention streamlining the whole process so that rather than having to have an item potency score, detail multipliers, and an effect, you only need prefixes and suffixes. As long as Flawless and Cripple's aren't too powerful of course, otherwise it may result in some sort of "all or nothing" mentality where a group suddenly performs a suicidal rush because one member got hit during kiting.

Though I suppose the risk of the magical girls becoming a horde of deranged cenobites is more of a premise-specific issue than a system-specific issue.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:59:42 am by Empiricist »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

Yeah, the issue with that system is that in order to multiplicatively stack, everything is going to need to have a relatively small bonus. So probably less along the lines of "x3.00" and more "+5%". Otherwise they'll just set half the city on fire in a bid to maximize their gains.
That gives an odd image.
*Shnk*
"OH NO SHE'S BEEN KILLED BY THE WITCH IN A HEROIC BID TO SAVE US!"
"You obviously stabbed h-""HOW CAN WE LIVE NOW THAT THE VERY HEART OF OUR TEAM IS GONE?!"
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That gives an odd image.
*Shnk*
"OH NO SHE'S BEEN KILLED BY THE WITCH IN A HEROIC BID TO SAVE US!"
"You obviously stabbed h-""HOW CAN WE LIVE NOW THAT THE VERY HEART OF OUR TEAM IS GONE?!"
My mental image was more along the lines of:
"Good job everyone, we couldn't save the orphans, but at least we stopped the monster."
"They were only orphans because you set their parents on fire and threw them at the monster. The monster that was made out of fire I should add."
"Mistakes happen. I still stand by my tactics. And it isn't my fault you couldn't save the children, I even told you about that room they could have taken shelter in!"
"And we led them to it. And it turned out to be makeshift gas chamber! Where did you even get the nerve gas from?"
"Actually it was mustard gas. Not a nerve agent."
"..."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:06:49 am by Empiricist »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just reward action rather than RP. If your player comes up with a really awesome plan to beat their opponent and it works, give them XP for it. If they beat the monster by getting good rolls in combat, reward them for it. If the players work together as a team and launch an awesome combo attack, reward them for it.

Using cheap tactics (setting off a nuke to defeat a slime, for example) should give a malus to XP, as should collateral damage since it's kinda difficult to do stuff when you're worried about other people.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

+1 To sticky!
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just reward action rather than RP. If your player comes up with a really awesome plan to beat their opponent and it works, give them XP for it. If they beat the monster by getting good rolls in combat, reward them for it. If the players work together as a team and launch an awesome combo attack, reward them for it.

Using cheap tactics (setting off a nuke to defeat a slime, for example) should give a malus to XP, as should collateral damage since it's kinda difficult to do stuff when you're worried about other people.
I think the idea of the system is to actually discourage teamwork and encourage questionable ethics. Albeit without the latter dominating the game to the point it just becomes a string of atrocities.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread has done fine without a sticky for years, so I don't really see the need.

Morally-dubious magical girl funtime land sounds great. And horrifying. I'm sold!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 661