Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726885 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Thoughts and feelings are mutually inclusive, they influence one another, and they originate in the same place: your mind. For the purposes of gameplay though I can buy the explanation that the mind, that produces thoughts, and the spirit, which controls one's feelings, are divorced.
Every part of the body influences every other part of the body. The body effects the thoughts, the thoughts effect the emotions, and the emotions effect the body. I don't think that anything is truly an isolated system. However, if we have a system of soul magic, then the soul is obviously used for something. Since 'keeps breasts perky' isn't a great game attribute for the soul to have, it makes a good gameplay division.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

The soul is responsible for identity. Why not associate it with morality (protection versus good/evil, smiting good/evil (or law/chaos, or some other axis of conduct) and permutations thereof) and identification (knowing and invoking names to attain an advantage or finding the owner of a certain soul without even knowing their name, or finding things out about a creature from a reading of the soul, which encapsulates one's history), and similar concepts outside of the body?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

... I think HB reveals an excellent point I hadn't considered.

What does the Soul actually do in your universe? Is it the seat of emotion, humanity, feeling, identity, memory, magical power, pert bosoms, some other arbitrary property?  We all have different ideas on what the Soul does (my personal soul is currently paying down the price of my dashing good looks), but I think if you can figure out what the soul does in your universe, lore wise, the mechanics should flow naturally.

So, what is the purpose of the Soul?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

inb4 Philosopher's Block thread
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What can change the nature of a m- the Soul, right. Pondering the purposes and natures of souls is all the rage these days anyway, ala Pillars of Eternity. Perhaps we should run an RTD of soul-searching?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Found mine, it's over there in the corner, staring into nothing with tears cascading down it's metaphysical eyes.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Physical souls. Emotions are handled by Mind affinity. The problem is that I don't know what souls do in this world and is why I'm here asking for help. Read the page quote for how I've been thinking I'm gonna handle souls. I might not actually go for that, though.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

You know, I'm probably not going to GM an RTD anytime soon, but I had this really wonderful idea I think someone might like to try to use.

You've probably heard of Looter's Delight and Perplexicon... but what if you could fuse them?

Introducing Wizard's Delight: The game where you earn new magic words by killing other players. Each player's word list differs! Any thoughts?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

You'd need a basic word list to avoid only muscled people from attaining any decent length of book.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Naturally each player starts with some random words to start them along. If all the words had equal probability of being attained, that would be a concern. But some words like fire, lightning, poison, whatnot are more common than control, activate on death, form into beam, etc.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

How many "shape" words did the original Perplexicon contain?
Material words?

Just asking.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How does a GM know that the players are still interested in the game he's hosting.
Also how much does lore affect your choice of RTD and is there such a thing as too much lore in the begin? Are players interested in a world map or is it a thing of watch it once and forget it?
How 'hot' would a high fantasy RTD with magic, dragons and stuff be?
How badly do players need to have a pre-set quest as opposed to total sandbox rtd?
Durrr..

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

How does a GM know that the players are still interested in the game he's hosting.
Also how much does lore affect your choice of RTD and is there such a thing as too much lore in the begin? Are players interested in a world map or is it a thing of watch it once and forget it?
How badly do players need to have a pre-set quest as opposed to total sandbox rtd?
I've never hosted a game, but I have played in quite a few.

1. By how lazy the players are. If they are just going with the flow, or not putting much thought into their actions, they are probably bored.
2. I need a little bit of lore to get me into the setting, but if you put a wall of text, it may scare people away. If your game requires moving to different areas, then by all means, have a map.
3. It's okay to have sandboxes, but you need to make sure that there is something for them to do. I prefer games with pre-set quests.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

1 – speed and quality of player response.
2 – I want enough to flesh out the story, depending how serious it is, but not so much you wish it was in a spoiler you could close up nice and quick. World map depends on travel, desire to immerse players, seriousness, sandboxness.
3 – everyone likes a nicely done fantasy setting, no?
4 – pre-set quests are good for the players and probably better for the GM to keep things on track, to keep the tone you want, to keep a storyline going, to keep people together. One of the reasons my fantasy rtd died was I didn’t keep it tightly together – this was even with a basic plot sketched out. Having a storyline with an ending makes it so much more likely you’ll get to an ending, rather than the game just dying off, I believe.

blazing glory

1:You can also just ask.
2:It's probably possible to have too much lore, warding away curious players who don't want to read 4-8 pages worth of lore, world map really depends on how the game is GMed, also on the likelihood that players will need to travel on said map to do anything interesting rather than just roaming.
3:Players will accept anything if it's serious, written with some degree of competence, and not too bizarre, so players will readily accept a high fantasy.
4:Don't do total sandbox, it won't end well and you'll probably end up burned out, and it's always good for a player to have a goal in mind if they aren't sure what to do.

I'm not that good a GM so take this all with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I'm rolling up a serious RtD, which, unlike everything else I've done, will actually have planning, so I don't have to come up with everything on the spot.

Right now I'm just getting the basics hammered out, I need some stereotypical cannon fodder evil minions that show up in most fantasy settings, the more, the better.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 661