Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727763 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fight Club did seem quite amazing. Perhaps genres could be classes in the DnD sense, in that each one could be it's own (rather basic) game if you wanted? Rappers would be fighters, for instance, and a pure rapper game would be basically a fighting game. However, pop singers could be bards or clerics, and since you can have stuff like pop rap and pop rock, they would be a support class. I think that makes sense.

Combat, in my opinion, is like black pepper. Pepper is good on most things, sometimes amazing. But you have to make something to put it on: you can't make a meal out of pepper. And black pepper, despite it's greatness, is a pretty basic spice.

Yeah, I was thinking of utilizing Sub-Genres as specializations. Metal - Hardcore or Death Metal, Electronic - Dubstep or House, etc. Those are just a few examples even. There are "Blended" classes in DnD, correct? Like classes which are pretty much a fusion of two other classes, like a fighter mixed with a mage for a less specialized but more versatile character? I was thinking that could be Crossover/Fusion Muscians.

Have to agree with that Black Pepper remark for the most part. The reason the "Perplexicon" games are still ongoing is that, despite being fundamentally arena games, there is a whole discovery/magical crafting and experimentation aspect to them as well. What sort of combat system were you thinking of?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Not many ideas, I'll have to play the game again just to get some ideas going. But I was thinking about the whole Blazin' mechanic. In Defjam, not only does special attacks in it do absurd amounts of damage, it's where you get to use finishing moves. Blazin' is one of the few situations where you can finish off another character: using regular hits even at the lowest health won't do anything. I was thinking it could be cool if it was in the RTD, but for things other then combat. So if you're trying to convince someone, doing it in Blazin' mode will result in you not only convincing them to your current cause, but make them believe you're the best guy around.

Perhaps getting bonuses if it matches up with the class's skill. Since every blazing move is ridiculously cool, perhaps it would have similar effects in the descriptions. So for the talking example I just gave, the description would probably be "Yo ass point at a random muthafucka n' da perved-out muthafucka starts beatboxing. Then you go tha fuck into a long-ass but fast rap bout how tha fuck dat motherfucker Snoop need ta be taken down pronto or else tha whole hood will git fucked. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Then you start breakdancin while still rapping, n' end it by hustlin up a wall, backflippin up in tha air, then landin by pressin yo' hand ta tha ground n' spinning. Yo ass stand back up n' peep it as mah playas starts cheering'.

Man, I love gizgoogle.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, time for a random game concept that I brainstormed that I'll probably never actually run:

You wander into the bar, the familiar smog of whiskey and cigarette smoke welcoming as always. A winged cat - the bartender - greets you as always, asking if you'd like the usual. The usual? You've been here how many years now and he still asks that? Have you ever even ordered anything other than 'the usual'? Regardless, you do humor his request, if not because of your begrudging rapport, then because he could probably spike your face straight into the damn pavement if he tried.

With a few taps, the circle activates, a burst of light heralding the creation of your drink. As you nonchalantly down the glass, various conversations slip into your ears, in between the rowdy roars of laughter. Normally, you may have participated in some of those banalities. However, this was not normally.

You've seen some shit man, and this, did not stand out. Nonetheless, it's hard to ignore it when her blood still stains you and, more importantly, your brand new coat. As for how the lass died, well, it happened roughly five minutes ago, let's not reiterate and ruin your day further, shall we? She was special. Aren't they all? Special, unique, expendable. The girl that is, not the coat. You paid for that fucking coat. That shit's going to stain. Come to think of it, you probably should be at home trying to salvage it, rather than just getting drunk off your arse in the bar, but the coat's ruined either way, why should you care? What, so it gets ruined by a slightly smaller stain?

Ah screw it, maybe you could just pass it off as some weird design or something. If it's stained, it may as well get stained by the next one as well. When you get assigned your next one that is.

The premise is that you are one of those mascot critters that accompany magical girls. Ones that have the rather unfortunate tendency of bleeding everywhere as they die. Though at least most of them have the courtesy not to their blood all over you. Your job is to stop that annoyance from occurring. The dying part, that is (though you probably would like to avoid getting blood all over yourself, that tends to be more irritating). If they make enough progress in fighting, whatever it is they're meant to fight. You never really paid that much attention to their adversaries and presumably sympathetic motives, no one really does in this business, and if you're doing your job right, they won't live long enough for you to need to.

The final objective is to have your child soldier magical girl survive enough skirmishes to have developed the skills and instinct necessary for them to be independent. At which point you'll be assigned some other poor sap to deal with. To do so, you will need to provide some assistance in the form of teaching them how to fight, use their spells and whatnot along with giving them directions in combat. After all, you certainly have seen your fair share of fights (emphasis on seen) and have a (reasonably) good idea of what the previous successes did that served them well along with what previous failures did to die horribly. Additionally you can gather intel and figure out the best time to attack. As for whether or not the damn kid will actually listen to your advice, well, that's another matter.

The actual player-controlled characters won't need stats, since they won't be involved in combat, instead, players will assign spectral locations to their meatsacks magical girl.

Spectral locations basically represent a person's traits, as their name implies, they're simple spectra between two extremities. Proximity to either one grants both advantages and disadvantages, for example:

Selflessness [||||||||||]: Determines how willingly the magical girl will willingly enter combat. More selfless ones will be easier to persuade into respond to a threat but their willingness to lay down their lives for others could impact survival rates.

[||||||||||] - Martyr: The purity of her spirit is matched only by the purity of the crack a normal person would have to snort in order to display as great a detachment from the concept of self preservation as her. Well, at least they're quite cooperative so you can count on them entering combat exactly when they're needed. Just be sure to withhold information until the time is right for hostilities to commence. It's kind of like having some sort of angelic bloodhound, really, as long as you ensure that she doesn't get presented with opportunities to throw her life away.

[||||||||||] - Asshole: That ungrateful little bastard isn't listening. You've scouted out the target. You laid out the plans. It's the time to strike. But she's having none of it, too busy with something or other, you stopped paying attention to her halfway through. Like it'll matter when she's six feet under for failing to make that pre-emptive strike... Though if you do manage to convince her, or failing that, get a her involved whether she likes it or not, she will probably survive; as for the allies and civilians caught up in the mix, well, it isn't like it's your job to keep them alive.

Sequence [||||||||||]: Determines how flashy the transformation sequence is. More flashy ones will grant better effects but will take long. No, it is not a free action, so please do take that in mind before you max it out and try getting someone to use it in front of a firing squad.

[||||||||||] - Epilepsy Warning: If the damn sequence was any longer, the majority of combat would just consist of this grandiose clusterfuck of spinning, ribbon and whatthefuckery. Thankfully, it also happens to be so bright and releases so much energy it amounts to a flashbang. Perfect for disabling enemies that happen be be too close and getting the civvies to hit the deck. Plus the residual magic does give a rather welcome boost to kick off the murderparty.

[||||||||||] - Minimalistic: The sequence isn't so much bland as much as it's nonexistent. You're not even sure if it counts as one, or really, if you weren't just too hungover to contract properly at the time. It may not be impressive but it certainly does its job - an instant switch that is perfect for remaining stealthy should you wish in indulge in a bit of more covert murder. There's also the fact that if she ain't spinning around and crap ain't flying around randomly, people can't just cap her easily.

tl;dr: You are an excessively cute magical critter who probably chain-smokes and drinks themselves into a stupor when off the job; try to your child soldier alive.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Bwahahahahah.
I admit that just to find out what the deal with it is, I watched two episodes of Magika Madoka.
So while the show itself isn't that gripping or entertaining, I have to say this about your idea: I love it!
What's the full list of stats you can assign a girl? Can you "contract" boys, too?
Why do the descriptions for Epilepsy Warning and Asshole seem the funniest?

Can you assist your child soldier in some way other than guide them from the sidelines? Like if that big monster they're fighting notices you guiding her and changes targets? How much combative strength do you have? Such as if I were a teddybear with Wolverine claws and two faces, I'd be a fair bit better in a fight than say, a cat with funny ears, right? But said cat would be better at magic and empowering their child soldier.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Well obviously I'd be down for something like that...

Of course, I've been reading that... can't find it. DERM! SHARE THE RELEVANCIES!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the full list of stats you can assign a girl?
I haven't refined or reviewed it yet, but I'm thinking:
Sequence(Minimalistic-Epilepsy Warning): Higher means better buffs and more effects on enemies but more time is required and it is less stealthy.
Distance(Axe Murderer-Politician): Higher means a preference for longer ranges.
Opportunism(Stoned-Arsonist): Higher means most greater exploitation of the surroundings but also a greater reliance upon it.
Independence(Sheep-Insubordinate): Higher means more likely not to follow orders but also less dependent on you.
Selflessness(Asshole-Martyr): Higher means easier to get into combat but more likely to lay down their life.
Flexibility(Bureaucrat-War Criminal): Higher means more pragmatic but more likely to get in more than just magical trouble.
Bravery(Deserter-Cannon Fodder): Higher means more likely to take risks and stand their ground but less self preservation when something unplanned happens.
Empathy(Psychopath-Bullet Hugger): Higher means more capable of understanding enemies and predicting their movement but also the chances of feeling sympathetic towards them.
Methodology(!!SCIENTIST!!-Fossil): Higher means less likely to experiment with dangerous arcane magic and stick to what works but also limits magical potential.
Mobility(Continental Drift-Traffic Hazard): Higher means greater detachment from more realistic combat styles in favor of Hong Kong cinema, better overall mobility at the cost of overall accuracy.

Can you "contract" boys, too?
I would presume so. I mean more fleshpuppets to dump onto enemies is always welcome. Though they would have to wear something as equally absorbent as a poofy skirt or something. Otherwise employees start complaining that they spray too much blood everywhere.

Can you assist your child soldier in some way other than guide them from the sidelines?
The idea is to make them independent, but I'll put it this way: any firearms, explosives, etc. that is 'acquired' by the meatsack is fair game. If it gets acquired that is.

Like if that big monster they're fighting notices you guiding her and changes targets?
Run. It can't kill you, but it will hurt.

How much combative strength do you have?
Abysmal offensively. Colossal defensively. After all, it takes a lot more training and effort to get one of you ready for duty than for you to get one of them ready for slaughter.

Such as if I were a teddybear with Wolverine claws and two faces, I'd be a fair bit better in a fight than say, a cat with funny ears, right? But said cat would be better at magic and empowering their child soldier.
Firstly, you'd be the cutest, most adorable polycephalic murderteddy ever. Secondly, yes, you could use your innate magic or skills to assist. However, that reduces the combat experience gained since they received assistance, the more you assist, the less experience they get.

Also, are you really going to go that extra mile, risking getting your new though-now-bloodstained coat getting wrecked just to help them?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:59:06 pm by Empiricist »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One that stays alive gets more experience then a dead one.  :P
I think a bloodstained coat is worth sacrificing if it means I don't have to go through the paperwork to find another child soldier.
The Cyan Menace

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a bloodstained coat is worth sacrificing if it means I don't have to go through the paperwork to find another child soldier.
Yeah but too much interference could result in 0 exp to discourage people from directly interfering too much. But yeah, it is a valid tactic as long as you don't overdo it. Plus the exp loss is a lot lower if they acquired the equipment being used. As for the paperwork, well, that would probably proportional to the amount of waitlisters.

I suppose this would be an example sheet:
Sequence
[||||||||||]
Distance
[||||||||||]
Opportunism
[||||||||||]
Mobility
[||||||||||]
Methodology
[||||||||||]
Independence
[||||||||||]
Selflessness
[||||||||||]
Flexibility
[||||||||||]
Bravery
[||||||||||]
Empathy
[||||||||||]
Their transformation sequence isn't too flashy making an a possible candidate for more stealthy options if it wasn't for their moral inflexibility. They are cowardly though they can be motivated to jump into action or to save others. They tend to experiment with magic more and due to their long range and high opportunism, this will likely result in attacks that richochet or cause spalling at the cost of not spending as much time working on more general purpose spells for a straight magical fire-fight. Their preference for re-enacting action movies except at long range with magical bolts that can cause smaller buildings to turn into a venerable hornet's nest of bouncing shrapnel results in relatively poor accuracy, however their significant emphatic understanding allows them to offset this to some extent, predicting enemy movements to cut them down with a spray of magic bolts and spalling metal. Unfortunately, this also has the side of effect of them feeling rather guilty about it and sympathizing to an extent. It is nonetheless thankful that they keep their distance and are prone to routing, seeing as their heavy reliance on tactical directions may result in lethal mistakes in a vicious battle.

By the looks of it, their critter would spend a lot of their time gathering intel to make the most of their traits and to avoid potential ambushes that will likely result in routing if their dependent nature doesn't claim their life first.

A sarcastic sheep critter would probably be rather an amusing match for them. "I may have wool, but you're the sheep. Baa, you sheep."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:59:45 pm by Empiricist »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Twoface, they call him. Not to his face, usually. Not either of them. Not that the cuddly little snugglebug'd do anything about it. Fancies himself a soldier, thinking he can save his innocent little puppets by getting his own paws dirty.

Then he wonders why the pampered little dolls get ripped in half every third mission.

Not that I'm in the best position to talk right now. Shit, sure. Kasi was special. Fuck, they're all special. That's what every fuckup says when one of their projects fumbles their way through two missions alive. But damn, this one... getting your torso remodeled sure as shit doesn't get you any awards around here. But getting it pulling the thing apart while it's still twitching, just cause she's curious?

Damn. That coulda been a good one. That's what I'll keep telling myself while I read up on her replacement. First pass is likely to be a little blurry.

Can't swear the second will be any better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... now to find someone willing to actually run this...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Twoface, they call him. Not to his face, usually. Not either of them. Not that the cuddly little snugglebug'd do anything about it. Fancies himself a soldier, thinking he can save his innocent little puppets by getting his own paws dirty.

Then he wonders why the pampered little dolls get ripped in half every third mission.
Ahahahah! That's perfect. Absolutely genuinely perfect.

Hmmm...
The Cyan Menace

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Their transformation sequence is rather extensive, conferring a temporary power boost and disrupting closer enemies though leaving them vulnerable to ranged hostiles, thankfully this provides a good synergy with their preference for close-quarter combat. This allows them to use their high mobility preference to close in before enhancing themselves and hampering their enemies' capabilities before quickly ripping them apart, which is rather thankful considering they are rather stubborn and have a tendency to ignore directives. They do indulge in some magical experimentation, usually resulting in various means of breaching, quickly striking or closing in on enemies. Consequently, their arsenal of magical arts is nearly entirely based on an array of situational abilities, some of which assist in any theft they may partake in. Their attack pattern is focused on hit-and-run or blitzkrieg with an emphasis on stealth, not so much due to a coldly calculated plan but rather due to charging in an act of heroism, slicing through enemy ranks, fueled by adrenaline and then realizing where they were before quickly routing and retreating. Though ironically, getting them to the battlefield in the first place is rather easy due to their willingness to lay down their life no matter how often they change their mind. Though occasionally feeling doubt as to their actions, they are nevertheless set on their duty though this lack of empathy may occasionally result in miscalculations and consequently, panicked retreats. The primary concern is their willingness to trade their life for another, tempering their near non-existent courage with (likely misguided) heroic resolve.

Upon inspection, a critter may have to treat them as a bloodhound more than a soldier, an autonomous beast to be given information and unleashed when the time is right, rather than risking insubordination or routing at a crucial moment. Though their moral flexibility does ensure that with a bit of persuasion and careful planning, the theft of a few armaments may be organized, allowing supporting fire to be delivered (specifically against ranged units) should they prove to be too headstrong to follow orders.

An amusing match would either be a cynical, authoritarian commander who conflicts with them greatly, or someone more supportive who just focuses on keeping them alive whilst reveling in the slaughter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:10:07 pm by Empiricist »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

i am regretting not giving salsacookies a flamethrower in roll to defend the bunker the chaos i could write were a flamethrower involved im trying to think of ways i can give him one
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

What's the full list of stats you can assign a girl?
I haven't refined or reviewed it yet, but I'm thinking:
Sequence(Minimalistic-Epilepsy Warning): Higher means better buffs and more effects on enemies but more time is required and it is less stealthy.
Distance(Axe Murderer-Politician): Higher means a preference for longer ranges.
Opportunism(Stoned-Arsonist): Higher means most greater exploitation of the surroundings but also a greater reliance upon it.
Independence(Sheep-Insubordinate): Higher means more likely not to follow orders but also less dependent on you.
Selflessness(Asshole-Martyr): Higher means easier to get into combat but more likely to lay down their life.
Flexibility(Bureaucrat-War Criminal): Higher means more pragmatic but more likely to get in more than just magical trouble.
Bravery(Deserter-Cannon Fodder): Higher means more likely to take risks and stand their ground but less self preservation when something unplanned happens.
Empathy(Psychopath-Bullet Hugger): Higher means more capable of understanding enemies and predicting their movement but also the chances of feeling sympathetic towards them.
Methodology(!!SCIENTIST!!-Fossil): Higher means less likely to experiment with dangerous arcane magic and stick to what works but also limits magical potential.
Mobility(Continental Drift-Traffic Hazard): Higher means greater detachment from more realistic combat styles in favor of Hong Kong cinema, better overall mobility at the cost of overall accuracy.

Can you "contract" boys, too?
I would presume so. I mean more fleshpuppets to dump onto enemies is always welcome. Though they would have to wear something as equally absorbent as a poofy skirt or something. Otherwise employees start complaining that they spray too much blood everywhere.

Can you assist your child soldier in some way other than guide them from the sidelines?
The idea is to make them independent, but I'll put it this way: any firearms, explosives, etc. that is 'acquired' by the meatsack is fair game. If it gets acquired that is.

Like if that big monster they're fighting notices you guiding her and changes targets?
Run. It can't kill you, but it will hurt.

How much combative strength do you have?
Abysmal offensively. Colossal defensively. After all, it takes a lot more training and effort to get one of you ready for duty than for you to get one of them ready for slaughter.

Such as if I were a teddybear with Wolverine claws and two faces, I'd be a fair bit better in a fight than say, a cat with funny ears, right? But said cat would be better at magic and empowering their child soldier.
Firstly, you'd be the cutest, most adorable polycephalic murderteddy ever. Secondly, yes, you could use your innate magic or skills to assist. However, that reduces the combat experience gained since they received assistance, the more you assist, the less experience they get.

Also, are you really going to go that extra mile, risking getting your new though-now-bloodstained coat getting wrecked just to help them?
the empathy stat dosent really make a whole lot of sense i would suggest to just remove it completely
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough, I need to review the stats at a later time (since I tend to make better judgements after leaving the mindset in which I make a post) to make sure that they still make sense and have enough of an impact to be used.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 661