Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728361 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Naming your game Roll to Act Reasonably is basically asking for people to do the opposite. Don't look into it too much or you'll wind up like GWG.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Naming your game Roll to Act Reasonably is basically asking for people to do the opposite. Don't look into it too much or you'll wind up like GWG.
I thought he got banned for arguing. Nevermind.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

He did, but one of the root causes for his behavior was the joke reputation as Bay12's "only sane man" going to his head and viewing himself as superior to the majority of the member base and looking down on any and all sillyness.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

so what are your theorys and conclusions

People acting reasonably in a game depends on the crowd you attract, which is based on two things - the first post of the game (more than about three paragraphs of text in it, a character sheet to properly fill out (which, I believe, is the primary barrier - the part where the player needs to sit down and make a commitment that they can't easily walk away from) and an RP focus tends to ward off much of the shenanigans-based crowd, who are generally very nice people who don't try to derail more serious games with wanton nonsense and stick to their main spheres of interest - of course, not that the shenanigans-based crowd can't be into more elaborate RP as well) mostly, with an additional factor being the GM running it, who may or may not be familiar to other forumites.

And then, whatever crowd you attract, there's also the tone of the game. Simpler games lend themselves better to silliness, while with more complex games you can shoot for serious narratives and such more easily, since a more complex game will also naturally attract a more dedicated (though not necessarily more mature) crowd.

As a challenge, I wonder if it would be possible to run a serious minimalist RTD. As serious a minimalist RTD as can be. I could even try it right now myself. I don't see it taking much effort, to be honest. Anybody in favor?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, sure. Setting?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I might be interested.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the only way for it to work (as far as I can think of right now, it being late at night) would be this:

History: the Minimalist RTD

There are five facts you need to know.

1. There's a warm, windy continent surrounded by sea.
2. You're on it.
3. You're nomadic tribesmen.
4. The rest is up to you.
5. You may post your actions now.

EDIT: Maybe I will go for all lowercase letters as well, as a commitment to seriousness and minimalism.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:20:10 pm by Harry Baldman »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Is this one of those minimalist RtDs where you can only do things you can plausibly do?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this one of those minimalist RtDs where you can only do things you can plausibly do?

Probably, yes. Can't see it as a maximally serious game otherwise. But the realm of plausibility is malleable.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I'd be interested in this experiment; it likely needs its own thread though.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be interested in this experiment; it likely needs its own thread though.
I doubt he was doing it in here...

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thread made. Will run until it gets boring for me, or alternatively too work-intensive.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

Hm ending up like GWG is defiantly something I don't want
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

Thread made. Will run until it gets boring for me, or alternatively too work-intensive.

welp that got silly fast
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 661