Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728700 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Sburb RTD
Zan's already running one. Well, to be more accurate, he made a minimalist thing to test some new rolling system, and at some point, a player got a Sburb disc through a good enough roll, as did everyone else. And then it went on for a month or so, before being abandoned. Now, he's basically gonna run a "in-beetwen" phase, where the players are going to play their previous selves as the guardians of their next PC's. Or something like that, I'm not very good at explanations.

Kirby RTD
All up for that. The only thing I'd really say about the sheet is that since they're all prety much the same anyway, why not just make the players choose a color?
For the damage system, you could have each attack do a set amount of damage, but be less accurate the more powerful it is.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Appearance to me also implies clothes an' stuff. So you'd write whether or not you wear a cool hat. And your one sounds vaguely more like what I had in mind. I'll try to post this up in a couple of hours.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

So, I just came up with a minimalish concept with minimalish rules. I, a person who hates minimalistic RTDs. I figure I don't have much to lose anyway since I'm not currently running any RTDs and aren't close to running any anytime soon, so the only question is: Is it interesting? Or has it been overdone to death because I haven't been keeping too close track?

Quote from: All the text here will probably be the first post if I post this game
*Potentially insert something here*

Spoiler: Introduction (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
*Potentially insert other stuff below*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i'm going to stick out a limb and say that's not minimalistic at all

but then that's to be expected

the settings sooooorta reminds me of genecorp, but you should be plenty fine on that aspect. it's also quite interesting, i'll certainly ptw it when it appears

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I've decide on how damage is gonna be dealt out. I've decide on a hybrid of both suggestions, in that first one rolls to determine whether or not it hits, and then one leaves it up to the RNG for damage. However, instead of d8, d12 etc. I've decided on damage being like 3-5. So, that attack can do between 3 to 5 damage. I've also decided to implement the speed stat, and the strength stat. Here's a rough approximation of what they should do;
Speed: Determines who goes when during combat
Strength: Amount of weight that can be lifted; determines how much damage you do with an ordinary punch, kick you get the idea. Anything else I should add?

Here is the semi-final draft
Yes, that's right. Another RTD. What the hell were you expecting. Even with 2, I still have too much time during the day, so I'm starting another one.
Rules:
1. This is not minimalist. You may only do that which is within the limits of your skills, ability, or things that an ordinary person should be able to do without much, if any training.
2. My word is final. I will try to be fair, though.
3. This is semi-serious. Try not to do ridiculous things during combat.
4. There is no revives. If you're gone, you're gone.
Combat
Speed determines who goes when during combat. While attacking, I will first roll a die to determine whether or not it hits and then roll for damage. Damage is more similar to traditional RPGs, in that attacks will do damage in the vein of 3-10, 1-3 and so on. The higher the minimum and maximum damage, the less of a chance of it hitting. AP negates damage equal to it. Therefore, 3 AP can negate 3 damage. The rest is dealt to the player.

Char Sheet
Name:
Ability/Gadget: A name and short description of your special ability or special item that you use.
Goal: What is your in-game goal; what do you want to achieve? This is partially for RP purposes and partially for plot.
Bio: A short history of your character.
Appearance: What does your character look like. Colour, clothes, scars etc. This is exclusively for RP.
SPD: Determines turn order in-combat.
STR: Determines how much you can lift at any 1 time, and damage with purely physical blows ie. punches, kicks.

You get 3 stat points.
Your staring position will be determined by a roll.
You may get one or more DEM points if your starting situation is bad enough.

Is there anything else I need to add here?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:44:39 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

i'm going to stick out a limb and say that's not minimalistic at all
If you look closely you'll notice I didn't use the term minimalistic. I used the term minimalish. Super important big difference. Compared to what I usually do, the things I've set up are utterly bare-bones.

the settings sooooorta reminds me of genecorp, but you should be plenty fine on that aspect. it's also quite interesting, i'll certainly ptw it when it appears
Good news: I don't recall reading it. So the rip-offs should be fairly few if any.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a certain RTD, which I'm unsure whether i should continue working on due to the complexity of it or to be exact. How complex it is going to be. Now for the question: Do people in this subforum like complex RTD's?
Durrr..

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The people like RTDs, in all shapes and forms. Some prefer minimalism (peasants), some complexity, some the middle ground, etc, so I don't think you'll have any trouble finding an audience for a complex game. The burden of a complex system is always heavier on the GM, so what's really important is if you can manage it - if it's more effort than fun, don't bother.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I have a certain RTD, which I'm unsure whether i should continue working on due to the complexity of it or to be exact. How complex it is going to be. Now for the question: Do people in this subforum like complex RTD's?

Complexity is second in importance to the writing, as is everything else. If it sounds good, you'll get players.

But to answer your question properly, I myself prefer very middling complexity, and very little bookkeeping responsibility placed on players, but that's the ideal case for me. I'd say it heavily depends on what the complexity adds rather than its mere presence.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snip

Lol peasants. I don't really worry about the effort since both things please me in a soothing way.

Anyhow, il lay down what i have for now. I've got 2 idea's for 2 different RTD's. The second will come a bit later since it;s a wee more complicated to type out.

RTD 1: A type of mech suit RTD

Storyline? I'm not sure yet, but i prefer to let the players have freedom so most probably there will be factions. Each faction will have some unique speciality and own storyline and motif for whatever the hell they are doing. Or instead of factions... Mercenaries, you are bound to your contract giver for as long as they are paying, but aside from that you're free!!

Combat? Will be resolved trough a D10, because i consider the D6 too generic. Standard human body system with the addition of a mech suit which will have it;s own rolling set. To kill the human you have to get trough the suit first unless you penetrate the suit and hit the user in his heart,brain,etc.

Idea? A module based system. I like creativity and people like being creative.
Basically you get a suit/armor with the utmost basic system required for it to function. There will be a different armors each with a different purpose in mind.

Each armor has a set amount of hardware points which enable you to install additional modules.
Like:
- Additional Armor Plating
- Targeting System
- Jet thrusters
- etc.

Within the installed hardware are software points.
-The additional plating hardware module has one software point A (Armor Software)
-The regenerative armor hardware module has also one software point A
Since they both have software points and both of them are A, you can link them with software modules. Software modules like hardware modules give bonuses or unlock special capabilities within hardware.

-The software Nanite Armor intensifiers is software made for the Regenerative armor module.
If you add it, it will boost the intensity and thus the strength of the armor. You can also add to the Regenerative armor without having the armor plating module, though there will be no effect as there is no armor to strengthen.

And this is what i have atm.

Durrr..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Not planning on running it at the moment, but I have some minor drafts for an RTD based around the original War of the Worlds books.

For those who never read them. Victorian England invaded by martians from outer space.

Whatever happens, we have got: The Maxim gun, and they have not stops working when your enemy has a heat ray and poison gas.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Has there ever been an rtd based on kids next door? Seems like it would be rather easy to create a system for, and kinda hilarious. Mission based perhaps, fighting the tyranny of adults and kicking snooty teenager butt. And 2x4 technology, of course!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Has there ever been an rtd based on kids next door? Seems like it would be rather easy to create a system for, and kinda hilarious. Mission based perhaps, fighting the tyranny of adults and kicking snooty teenager butt. And 2x4 technology, of course!

OH GOD MY CHILDHOOD
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Hasn't been, BUT THERE TOTTALY SHOULD BE ONE

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got an idea for a sort of minimalist game.

Roll to Space Team

Based on the game of the same name.

Players are all important crew on a space ship. Officers or whatever. They each have a console in front of them, with 4 panels.
These panels start empty. They can be filled by commands that will be sent to your generic, less important crew, and they will carry out the commands.
Assume panels work like some sort of touch screen tablet system, or whatever.
Filling a panel or panels with a command(using multiple panels on a command increases its effectiveness.) takes a turn, with these general results.

ex: "Refuel main engine!"

1: While writing on the panel, your fingers slip and you submit early. Let's hope the crew doesn't misinterpret the command "Refuel" as "Get some snacks or something."
2: Before you write on the panel, the ship rocks with the force of an explosion. You couldn't get anything down because you dropped your pen.
3: You get your command down, but its kind of messy. "Refuuu mane engne" shouldn't be too confusing right? -1 to effectiveness of panel.
4: You get your command down in its proper form.
5: You get your command down with extreme efficiency! +1 to effectiveness of panel.
6: You get your command down properly, but the panel bugs and activates early! (Alternatively, make something else fail if they would want to do that)

Obviously the act of the crew doing the command is a separate roll as well, but I don't need to tell you the general results of that do I?

But what do I do when out of panels, you ask?
Well, you can empty all the panels at once, but it takes two turns. Also it does all the panels always. So think wisely.

What can I actually put on a panel?
Almost anything, within reason. If you decide to activate a piece of equipment that hasn't been defined, I'll just roll to see if the ship has it. If not, I guess you wasted two turns and a panel.
That balances the fact that new equipment for the ship can buff its stats and such.
Generic panels like the command "Repair" by itself, will probably be less effective. More techno-babble is ideal honestly.

Surely this game has a goal?
Lets just say your ship is shipping something from point a to point b. You're traders or something. That's why the ship stops at planets every now and then to repair/refuel.

What are we up against?
Any random horrible events the gm can think of really.

So how many players can this hypothetical game actually have?
Probably a reasonable amount like 4 or 5. Its kind of a balance problem. Too many players mean that obviously the answers will always be present, reducing the chaos greatly. Other than losing when the ship inevitably explodes, perhaps make it possible for players to get killed inside the ship if things get bad enough. That would be one way to manage the wait list anyway. That can be justified as the generic crew members taking up the console by line of rank or something like that. Or maybe someone just ends up yelling "SOMEONE MAN THAT CONSOLE YOU FOOLS", and everyone scrambles to take the helm.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 661